Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

EFI fuse blows when I try to start my pickup.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Jimkana is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
Jimkana's Tacoma Gallery
EFI fuse blows when I try to start my pickup.

I drove from Washington to Alaska and I made it all the way up without a problem and I go to start my pickup up and it won't fire. I checked all my fuses and my EFI fuse keeps blowing out. I googled my problem and I saw a bunch of stuff about O2 sensors causing the problem but I disconnected them all and it still won't start and blows fuses so I put a small piece of stainless wire in the fuse slot and it gets red hot when I turn the ignition. All the O2 sensors seemed to be ok and nothing was melted like I kept reading about so now I'm out of ideas and wondering if anything else can cause that problem. I have a 2006 V6.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Time to replace the fuel pump.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Checked for chewed up wires under the Hood maybe.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
BlazeTaco is on a distinguished road

BlazeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Never bypass a fuse unless you want to burn you truck up or spend major money replacing burned up wires and electrical parts. You will cause way more damage then there was to begin with.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimkana View Post
I drove from Washington to Alaska and I made it all the way up without a problem and I go to start my pickup up and it won't fire. I checked all my fuses and my EFI fuse keeps blowing out. I googled my problem and I saw a bunch of stuff about O2 sensors causing the problem but I disconnected them all and it still won't start and blows fuses so I put a small piece of stainless wire in the fuse slot and it gets red hot when I turn the ignition. All the O2 sensors seemed to be ok and nothing was melted like I kept reading about so now I'm out of ideas and wondering if anything else can cause that problem. I have a 2006 V6.
If you leave that stainless steel wire in there you are going to have a lot of melting going on. Pull it out and locate the short circuit.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Time to replace the fuel pump.
Not so hasty! Sure, try unplugging the connector, or pulling the relay, but throwing parts at it without proper testing is a sure way to empty some pockets.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not so hasty! Sure, try unplugging the connector, or pulling the relay, but throwing parts at it without proper testing is a sure way to empty some pockets.
I am pretty confident this is the issue as I have seen it numerous times. Yes, I wouldn't recommend "throwing parts" at a problem and that is not what I am saying as none of us are there to physically examine the problem. My recommendation is take it to a mechanic and get it fixed but be prepared that it is most likely the fuel pump.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Jimkana's Tacoma Gallery
I checked all my fuel lines and I'm still getting fuel to the engine so I traced the problem all the way to the injectors I think. I just can't figure why that fuse is blowing and all my O2 sensors still have the heat shrink tubing on them with no marks.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
triumphx is on a distinguished road

triumphx's Tacoma Gallery
Are you running a trd s/c by chance? If so then it's due to the power for the coolant pump, if not I'm not too sure
Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
i cant see how this would happen without crossed wires or a bad voltage regulator, which i guess to be incorporated into the alternator. whats up with all the electrical issues lately, im scared

wheres Bama Toy? seriously i think he could help
Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...a/h/em01d3.pdf

Some wiring info, if it helps.

I doubt it's the fuel pump, that should be switched through a relay and fused separately. Double check me, but I'm almost 100 percent on that.

Does the efi fuse blow when the key is turned to the "on" position? Or only after you crank it over? That might help narrow it down. If it's an injector, that may not be energized before cranking it over.

Also, I notice there is an efi fuse and an "efi 2" fuse.....which one is it?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
Jimkana's Tacoma Gallery
It blows when I turn the key to the on position and it's the EFI fuse not the EFI 2. That's a good point about the injectors not getting energized when the key is just in the on position I didn't think about that.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...a/h/em01d3.pdf

Some wiring info, if it helps.

I doubt it's the fuel pump, that should be switched through a relay and fused separately. Double check me, but I'm almost 100 percent on that.

Does the efi fuse blow when the key is turned to the "on" position? Or only after you crank it over? That might help narrow it down. If it's an injector, that may not be energized before cranking it over.

Also, I notice there is an efi fuse and an "efi 2" fuse.....which one is it?
Okay, I will correct myself here. The efi fuse does feed the fuel pump. Looking at the schematic, if you pull the fuel pump relay out and try again, that will eliminate the fuel pump as the cause of the blown fuse.