Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Problems with URD Pipe Bomb

Old 01-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
brandonlamb25 will become famous soon enough
brandonlamb25's Tacoma Gallery
Problems with URD Pipe Bomb

I recently added a URD Pipe Bomb to my existing exhaust system. My current setup prior to Pipe Bomb was comprised of ta K&N intake, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, stock Y Pipe, and Borla Cat-Back exhaust. I recently added the Pipe Bomb and now I have a noticeable metal on metal rubbing sound. I double checked all bolts on headers, Y pipe and exhaust and all is tight. All hangers are properly in place. I installed new o rings between the headers and y pipe connection and new toyota header gaskets between block and header. The only thing I figure is it has to be coming from the addition of the Pipe Bomb. I can put my foot on the exhaust and slightly push and all is firm and no sound is made. When I push on the pipe bomb it moves more freely and squeaks. what gives? There is no gasket between the pipe bomb and exhaust connection. It is held together with the two bolts with springs on them. Any ideas? What is the resonating sound people speak of in exhaust systems? Any input would be great.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Its probably just rubbing on a heat shield. Check the heat shields out, and bend them out of the way.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
brandonlamb25 will become famous soon enough
brandonlamb25's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I tried that already. Same result. Still sounds bad!! Thanks for the help.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonlamb25 View Post
I recently added a URD Pipe Bomb to my existing exhaust system. My current setup prior to Pipe Bomb was comprised of ta K&N intake, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, stock Y Pipe, and Borla Cat-Back exhaust. I recently added the Pipe Bomb and now I have a noticeable metal on metal rubbing sound. I double checked all bolts on headers, Y pipe and exhaust and all is tight. All hangers are properly in place. I installed new o rings between the headers and y pipe connection and new toyota header gaskets between block and header. The only thing I figure is it has to be coming from the addition of the Pipe Bomb. I can put my foot on the exhaust and slightly push and all is firm and no sound is made. When I push on the pipe bomb it moves more freely and squeaks. what gives? There is no gasket between the pipe bomb and exhaust connection. It is held together with the two bolts with springs on them. Any ideas? What is the resonating sound people speak of in exhaust systems? Any input would be great.

i have the pipe bomb. u need to trim a little bit on the pipe bomb where it meets the cat-back. also gonna have to put a little thicker donut gasket
Old 01-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
I would remove the Pipe Bomb and see if the sound goes away. If it does you know what needs attention.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
i put the pipe bomb on and off numerous of times. and i can guarantee u its cuz the pipe is too long. others had the same problem, and the solution has helped everyone else
Old 01-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
Mine worked out quite nicley. I had it installed at an exhaust shop though so I had no trouble shooting.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
A little extra info on those 2 bolts w/springs.After having a cat back installed,I had a vib/rattle.The 2 bolts were not equally tight.1 of the springs was loose causing the rattle.Those bolts have built in stops.I got the biggest i/d washer i could find(to fit over the stops)It worked.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
i have the pipe bomb. u need to trim a little bit on the pipe bomb where it meets the cat-back. also gonna have to put a little thicker donut gasket
+1

I posted this in TN, it has to be something going on with that Doughnut. either its not fitting all not there all together. "There is no gasket between the pipe bomb and exhaust connection. It is held together with the two bolts with springs on them. Any ideas?".

I am also in the works of replacing springs with my set up being it came off multiple times. Almost thinking of welding a complete Y-catback connection, but saving that for last result being I may need to reinstall original for emmisions purposes...