1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question on maintenance item...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wlowe, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Sep 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    wlowe

wlowe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    High Sierras, California
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC OR V6 AUTO JBL
    My maintenance schedule requires that if you are driving in special operating conditions, (offroad or towing), then every 5,000 miles the propellor shaft bolt needs to be re-torqued. First off, which bolt are they referring to and second, how many of you guys do this?

2. Sep 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    I'm no expert, but I believe it's referring to the bolts at each end of your 4x4's short drive shaft (the shaft between the transfer case and front differential). It's known as a "propeller shaft." I have 50K miles on my '06 and I've only checked mine once.

3. Sep 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    Just the bolts that attach the driveshaft (propeller shaft) to the rear diff and transfer case flanges. Same idea on the front prop shaft.

I only torqued mine after replacing the rear drive shaft (I took it off the re-grease the slip yoke).

I do all the other mtce items in the book, just never this one aside from the once. Wouldn't hurt if you have the time and the tools. I might do it at my next oil change.

According to the online FSM, the required torque is 65 ft-lb.

4. Sep 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    "Propeller shaft" is just another name for driveshaft, not specifically the front. There are 4 bolts on each flange, times five flanges on a 4x4, for a total of 20 bolts. I've never retorqued mine as a maintenance check, but one retorque at first service on a new truck isn't a bad idea either.

5. Sep 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Mine are all assembled with blue locktight and I don't retorque them. I do grease the ujoints every 5K miles on the rear shaft, every 10K on the front.

6. Sep 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    I have 58XXX on my truck and I've towed a boat a couple times a week during the soft water season since buying it and I've tried a couple times to tighten them and both times they didn't move. The torque spec is high and good luck getting a torque wrench up there.

Products Discussed in

To Top