1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why is this happening?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TruckyTruck, Sep 6, 2012.

?

Do your new Tacoma's drum brakes squeal?

1. Yes

27.1%
  2. No

72.9%
  1. Sep 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Crewmax TSS Off-Road 4x4, sr5/leather
    So I have a 2012 and its been back to the dealership a few times for various problems, that it seems like all Tacoma owners have. However, my drum breaks are continuously squealing. When I come to a slow stop, they start howling. Not just a little squeak, but a very loud annoying squeal. Ive had them work on the drums now three times. They have done anything from de-glaze the shoes, the drum housing itself, they lubed everything and still... squealing. Its like I live in crazy town with crazy breaks. I mean, what brand new vehicle does this? I really dont know what to do at this point. I guess Im going to have a conversation with Toyota corp, or trade the damn thing in. I hate to do that because its a pretty cool truck, but this is driving me crazy. How many other people does this happen to? Please let me know, because Im about to raise a big stink with Toyota. Thanks

This is the last work order:
    [​IMG]

2. Sep 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    My 09 brakes squeaked... 3 years later ans several service trips...still squeeks. Toyota said its common. Its their brakes. Buy new pads if you want to fix it. Eventually it will quiet up a bit, but still noticeable. There's nothing wrong with your truck though

3. Sep 6, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R

rear drum brakes are pretty pricey, esp OEM from a dealer. i wouldnt settle with it, he just spent the better portion of 30 thousand dollars on this truck. my drivers seat squeaks like crazy but toyota is not sure if that is what they would refer to as defective or not as the part is still technically working. i think its bull shit, take it to another dealer and get them to fix it. some people are just lazy.

4. Sep 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    Fienoma

Fienoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hieu
    New Mexcio
    Vehicle:
    2007 double cab Off road 4x4
    BHLM, In bed lights mod, K&N intake,OEM bed extender....more to come?
    I only have squeaking from the front brakes as a common thing with tacomas....kinda strange to have the rear drums make that much noise..

5. Sep 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Oh yay mine are front though. Forgot to mention that part

6. Sep 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    yea i think if your rear drums were out of round it would feel similar to blowing a u-joint.

7. Sep 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The sad part is, I really feel like these guys have done everything short of replacing the drum shoes. I hope more people take this pole. I want to show it to Toyota and get them to do something about it.

8. Sep 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Are you going very easy on your brakes the first 500-1000 miles, either from new or after deglazing? Hard braking with brakes that have not yet worn in glazes them in a hurry, and glazed brakes squeal.

My rears are silent, but since its an '06 and you said new, I didn't vote.

9. Sep 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for responding though. I thought about that. Since they were glazed the first go round, I have been going as easy as I possibly can so that they dont glaze again. I dont know how I could be any easier on them.

10. Sep 6, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Mine squeal, took it to the dealer for it and said they deglazed and what not. Been about 20k since and they squeal again. So I took em apart, cleaned them, lubed them. Still squeal a little, but they work. I'll just hit them with some brake clean every time I rotate my tires.

11. Sep 6, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Personally, I would try a quality aftermarket shoe before dumping the truck over the issue, both cost money, with a set of shoes being the lesser of the evils, no? I can understand frustration over the issue though, and if you can get satisfaction out of toyota and your dealer, that would be ideal, obviously. Any idea if they checked that the shoes were installed correctly, not leading/trailing mixed up, or anything dumb like that? Or the park brake adjustment too tight, causing them to drag, heat up, and glaze?

12. Sep 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The parking brake was listed on the work order as adjusted. I may try the aftermarket, but I would just have to decide what brand is best. I have a 125k mile warranty though. Sad that i would have to pay to have a brand new truck fixed. I was thinking about just taking it in every two weeks until they tell me not to come back, posting on toyotas facebook, and/or looking at the lemon law.

13. Sep 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    TeamLombardo

TeamLombardo WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD Off-Road 4x4
    OME 886x, OME Trim Packer, OME Shocks, Dakars, Toytec Shims, LR UCAs, CB Drop, Demello Sliders, Pelfreybilt Plate Bumper, Warn VR8000-s, RI 20" LED, RI Duallys, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Liners, SS Brake Lines Front/Back, BHLM, Anytime Fogs, CV Boot Mod, 20% Tint, Stubby Antenna, Salex Console Organizer, Derped Grill/Badges
    That blows. My '12 has not had this issue, and I hope it never does. GL

14. Sep 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Try another dealer in your area.

15. Sep 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I guess i must be use to it...I'd be more worried now if my brakes and leaf springs didn't squeek.

16. Sep 6, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Your talking lemon law because the brakes squeek? Are you serious?

17. Sep 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Do I sound like Im kidding? You have some expertise on the subject?

Texas Lemon law says:

What Qualifies as a Lemon
    After listening to the music and watching the humorous videos on the Lemon Law Information page, you're probably ready for more serious material. Various aspects of the Lemon Law are included in parts of both the Occupations Code and the Transportation Code, with the Texas Motor Vehicle Board weighing in with a few more comments.

While the Texas Lemon Law gives good protection to consumers, the onus is on the vehicle owner to prove the car qualifies as a lemon under the law. This isn't always easy to prove, so it's critical to keep records and document every trip to the mechanic once the car starts having problems.

For your car to qualify as a lemon, you need to prove one of the following:

The same problem or nonconformity continues after four or more repair attempts.
    The problems presents a safety hazard, and you made two repair attempts within the 12 months or 12,000 miles following the date of original delivery and another two attempts in the following 12,000 miles or 12 months.
    The car must be out of service for at least 30 days in the first two years it is owned. But if the mechanic or dealer provides you with a comparable car during the time yours is being repaired, those days aren't counted (thus the courtesy actually makes it harder for you to file under the Lemon Law).
    To sum it up, the Lemon Law is unlikely to cover cosmetic problems or problems that don't seriously affect the operation of the vehicle. Problems with the radio probably would not qualify; heating or air-conditioning issues might fall under the Lemon Law; brakes or valves almost definitely would.

But don't despair―there is some relief possible even for nonsafety issues if they affect the value of the car.

Please tell me what Im missing here, or why you think I should be kidding. Please let me be clear, this is no little squeak. The damn brakes howl. Im not driving a city trash truck and it shouldnt sound like it.

18. Sep 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    Project.paradigm

Project.paradigm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oil Country,Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    Airlift rear air bags. Hood struts. sockmonkey bedside decal. TRD supercharger(not installed). Deckplate. Grey wire mod. Extended rear diff breather. 6000k HIDS. 18"Magnaflow. Truxxx 3" level kit. (Temporary) Wet Okole seat covers. BoxRocket bed rack. Bora 0.75 wheel spacers All pro sliders. BAMF BPV. B&M trans cooler.
    There's a product called Stop Squeal. You apply it to shoes and pads and it soaks into the material. It won't affect stopping distance. Some thing you could try.

19. Sep 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

It's just a brake squeak, in court they can say that this sort of thing happens depending on driving habits. But taking it to them til they tell you not to come back is annoying as well. Your best bet is to get a hold of toyota customer support or what ever it is and bring the issue to them. They will schedule you to take the truck back to the dealer, or any dealer and they will instruct them on what to do. most likely every time you take it to the dealer without doing this, they will do the exact same thing over and over again, and you won't get a resolution to the problem. You gotta get someone with a little more brains to figure things out.

20. Sep 6, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, it looks that way. I realize trying to go the lemon law route is a total long shot and trading it in is drastic too. Im going to try the Corp HQ before I dump the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top