1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Turbo: is there a complete kit out there?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by patrickockander, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Oct 13, 2009 at 6:26 AM
    gcwaterski

gcwaterski Well-Known Member

Member:
    What are the lowest priced kits availiable for our 2nd Gen Taco's?

2. Jan 2, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    mylittletacoma

mylittletacoma taco? like the kind you eat?

Member:
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    00 Silver SR5 4X4 SC
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector kit, Gibson Exhaust, Deckplate Mod, Tough Country 5" lift kit, Fabtech coilovers, Daystar 1" bodylift, 35" Kumho Road Venture MT's mounted on Eagle Alloy 185's black 15x8 -12offset, Alpine 9883 deck, Alpine type R speakers all around, Alpine 500w amp to 10"Boston G1 in custom built rear center console enclosure
    comment on the TURBO AND S/C combo.... Brad Bidell, winner of one of the most prestigious sport compact car awards,,,,, ULTIMATE SPORT COMPACT CHALLENGE...... used a 1992 MR2 with the 3vz v6 swap and a TRD supercharger. but the best part is that for a while he actually was running a 5vz with a twin turbo and super charger set up. the reason he dumped it was because his supercharger was actually causing so much air flow restricting for the turbo that it blew the supercharger up. same happened to a guy in SoCal with a Chevy Nova2.

Chris4x4 knows his shit. but here is my 2cents.... the sts system from what i have researched looks sound. turbo is actually better than supercharger in the sense of how you want to use it. if your looking to tow or rock crawls, then supercharger is the way to go due to instant power, but for lifted and big tires on the highway,,, turbo. the excess back preassure built up by a turbo does kill a small amount of power until ti begins spooling, the critical part comes in to play when you look at heat disipation (solved in this case by remote mounting the turbo for extremly cool air temps) and air flow. right size tubing and smooth bends are crucial. the right amount of boost is also needed, so you dont kill your internals.

plain and simple. the fight over s/c or turbo will never come to an end until you set up what specific detail it will be used under. like my truck for example,,,, lifted w/ 35's, minimal off road.... so the sts turbo is going to be a possibility because it will give me all around better gains...
    as for the rocks hitting it issue,,,,, easily solved with a custom made skid plate :)

3. Jan 2, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    mylittletacoma

mylittletacoma taco? like the kind you eat?

Member:
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    00 Silver SR5 4X4 SC
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector kit, Gibson Exhaust, Deckplate Mod, Tough Country 5" lift kit, Fabtech coilovers, Daystar 1" bodylift, 35" Kumho Road Venture MT's mounted on Eagle Alloy 185's black 15x8 -12offset, Alpine 9883 deck, Alpine type R speakers all around, Alpine 500w amp to 10"Boston G1 in custom built rear center console enclosure
    oh and another thing.... big companies like chevy use the supercharger not because it gives better gains, but because it is more comtrollable and less likely to be screwed up by some dump ass kid who thinks all you gotta do is cut this vacuum line and put a plumber shut off valve and you can turn boost up.... then BOOM the motor blows. superchargers allow the factory to safely and reliably controll add on power and it is less likely to have issues that turbos do.

4. Jan 2, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    That is not the only problem. Having the turbo so far away from the engine doesn't help either. The turbo runs off of exhaust energy. The more heat there is the more energy. If the exhaust has a while to cool down before it gets to the turbo your turbo isn't going to work as well as it could

5. Jan 2, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    On that note, there are not yet any kits for the 1gr-fe but there are some working on them. Check out custom tacos.

I would rather do a turbo on my tacoma than a superchager. Too many people have superchargers and its also probably because I am a diesel guy :)

Products Discussed in

To Top