Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Turbo: is there a complete kit out there?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Say What?
patrickockander is on a distinguished road
Army: Served as a Combat Medic with 3rd BDE 2nd ID "Stryker Brigade", now serving as a reservist/student
Name: Patrick
patrickockander's Tacoma Gallery
Question Turbo: is there a complete kit out there?

Anybody know much about this? I've got a 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4.0 V6 4x4 dbl cab that I want to install a turbo on. I don't know much about this, I'm mechanically inclined, and would like to purchase a complete kit if one exists...that is quality...can anyone point me in the right direction?

any idea of what it might cost...final cost?

Thanks in advance,
Pat
Old 01-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ststurbo.com/toyota_tacoma
Old 01-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Out of curiosity....... since you have the V6 why not get the TRD supercharger?
Old 01-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Old 01-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
http://oi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/i/pdfs...A_02_Final.pdf

Funny how they cut the graph short 1k at the beginning of each pull on the STS, while they have essentially a full pull for the TRD SC. Obviously that TRD Sc will blow the STS out of the water in your lower range RPMs. Interesting marketing technique.

With that said its looks like a great system, especially if it works on your 2.7's where a SC isn't available.. Although I would think someone has probably put a centrifugal supercharger on the 2.7
Old 01-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
^ Explain to me why the SC would blow the STS on lower RPM's? With such low boost that turbo is probably making full boost well before 2000 RPM. Its also cheaper, and more reliable I would think, no belts to change. A blower sounds pretty cool though!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
Say What?
Army: Served as a Combat Medic with 3rd BDE 2nd ID "Stryker Brigade", now serving as a reservist/student
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
Out of curiosity....... since you have the V6 why not get the TRD supercharger?

I'm thinking about fuel economy....what do you say?
Old 01-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
Ok hera goes once and for all. The supercharger is run off a belt and pully system therefor it is always running and gets instant boost. Put with a supercharger your loosing about 20 horses about in our case using the engine to rotate the supercharger. Good low end torque and instant power but takes power to make it and is always putting a load on the engine just a little bit in this case

The turbo is nothing but pure power. The turbo is turned by the exhaust doesnt go into boost unless you put the engine under a load full throttle or pulling. Hince the turbo lag or not so good lowe rpm power. But if you are easy with the throttle its like the turbo is not there and can possible keep the same gas millage if you dont hot dog all the time.

My choice will always be the turbo the new systems have almost no lag and they are not always putting out boost.

I had an article in a hot rod mag the test was a paxton supercharger and a roots magnacharger and a turbo. the turbo mad 30-40 more horsepower than the superchargers at the same boost.

if anymore questions just send me a pm

also sts has been building kits for corvettes and f body cars for a long time good stuff
Old 01-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDITECH View Post
Ok hera goes once and for all. The supercharger is run off a belt and pully system therefor it is always running and gets instant boost. Put with a supercharger your loosing about 20 horses about in our case using the engine to rotate the supercharger. Good low end torque and instant power but takes power to make it and is always putting a load on the engine just a little bit in this case

The turbo is nothing but pure power. The turbo is turned by the exhaust doesnt go into boost unless you put the engine under a load full throttle or pulling. Hince the turbo lag or not so good lowe rpm power. But if you are easy with the throttle its like the turbo is not there and can possible keep the same gas millage if you dont hot dog all the time.

My choice will always be the turbo the new systems have almost no lag and they are not always putting out boost.

I had an article in a hot rod mag the test was a paxton supercharger and a roots magnacharger and a turbo. the turbo mad 30-40 more horsepower than the superchargers at the same boost.

if anymore questions just send me a pm

also sts has been building kits for corvettes and f body cars for a long time good stuff
I have been in this discusion too many times. A turbo has no impact on the engine, parasitic wise? Are you sure about that? Viewed from an engines perspective, a turbo is a blockage in the exhaust system. Its not "Free" hp. I have tested this extensivly, and a turbo DOES, in fact, have a parasitic drag to the engine. The last test I did on one, there was over 15 hp drag. Modern superchargers have bypass valves and are not always under boost. And the design of the supercharger is pretty efficient. A modern supercharger has similar performance capabilities as a turbo, or better. The new Chevy Corvette uses a supercharger, if turbos are the "Be all and end all" of power, why didnt they choose a turbo?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjay View Post
^ Explain to me why the SC would blow the STS on lower RPM's? With such low boost that turbo is probably making full boost well before 2000 RPM. Its also cheaper, and more reliable I would think, no belts to change. A blower sounds pretty cool though!
If you have yet to understand this simple concept, you should do a little research before firing off. Seems to me that came off a little rudely too.. There is plenty of research out there to substantiate exactly what I stated and it is quite obvious that this is why they cut the graph. Its not a bad thing, just an intelligent way of marketing their product if you ask me. a white lie maybe?? I believe google is your destiny my friend.

Quote:
I have been in this discusion too many times. A turbo has no impact on the engine, parasitic wise? Are you sure about that? Viewed from an engines perspective, a turbo is a blockage in the exhaust system. Its not "Free" hp. I have tested this extensivly, and a turbo DOES, in fact, have a parasitic drag to the engine. The last test I did on one, there was over 15 hp drag. Modern superchargers have bypass valves and are not always under boost. And the design of the supercharger is pretty efficient. A modern supercharger has similar performance capabilities as a turbo, or better. The new Chevy Corvette uses a supercharger, if turbos are the "Be all and end all" of power, why didnt they choose a turbo?
Right on Chris!

Very good example siting the vette
They don't make the most bang for your buck in a vette by not knowing what their doing..
Old 01-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sorry if I came off as rude. I should have said please explain. I don't think there dyno results are comparable, as they are from different trucks, and probably on different dynos. There dyno might not record anything in that low a RPM? Why would the baseline for the stock truck also be cut off? I have owned a turbo car and it was very smooth and got good fuel economy if you kept your foot out of it. As for why chevy, a bankrupt company choose a blower, I would say because it would appeal to more of the consumers they hope will buy there car. Plus they would probably have a hell of a time cramming a turbo system in there! Why is it that diesel engines stopped using superchargers some 30+ years ago in favor of turbos? Why is it that Formula 1 race cars, the pinnacle of racing technology, up until a few years ago used turbochargers? Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Ferrari, Mercedes Benz, Audi, VW have all produced Turbo cars over the years. I like super-chargers, they are great for certain applications, such as drag racing plus they sound bad ass. However a turbo IMO is much more efficient by design, it makes it's boost from wasted heat.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjay View Post
Why is it that diesel engines stopped using superchargers some 30+ years ago in favor of turbos? Why is it that Formula 1 race cars, the pinnacle of racing technology, up until a few years ago used turbochargers? .
They have a very narrow operational rpm range. Big diesel engines have around 1000 rpm operating range, F1 cars stay above 8 to 10,000 rpm.
Im not saying that turbos are usless, but SO many people have this ilusion that turbos are a "free" hp gain, when the fact is they are not. They are a restriction in the exhaust. Throw a turbo on your exhaust without hooking it into the air intake, and tell me you wouldnt feel a loss in power. Modern superchargers have about as much drain (parasitic drag) on an engine as the AC compressor and steering pump combined.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #13
Slowpokeologist
AZFizik has a spectacular aura aboutAZFizik has a spectacular aura aboutAZFizik has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
AZFizik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They have a very narrow operational rpm range. Big diesel engines have around 1000 rpm operating range, F1 cars stay above 8 to 10,000 rpm.
F1 cars don't use either power adder, and normally remain in the 14k-20k RPM band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp4SV8FGZoo

One thing you learn with engineering. The is NO FREE POWER, EVER!. I don't care what kind of snake oil the guy is selling, you have to give something to get something.

Also, turbo chargers leach oil from your engine, use it and add TONS of heat to it. Not to mention what happens when (not if) the turbo eats its bearings and starts pumping those bits back into the motor (right into the oil pan!!!)

Supers are a self contained unit, if they fail, they just get inefficient. Its rare to see one where the rotors have actually been grinding on each other.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFizik View Post
F1 cars don't use either power adder, and normally remain in the 14k-20k RPM band.
Right. We were talking about when they did use them. And I was unsure of their opperational RPM's, but I knew it was way up there.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #15
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickockander View Post
I'm thinking about fuel economy....what do you say?
I don't know all of the pros and cons which is why I was curious what your reasons are. To me, since the SC is bolt on (somewhat I assume), designed by Toyota, and has a Toyota warranty, which all seem like pretty good reasons reasons to me. That does not take into account performance differences at all. If Toyota thought a turbo was a good idea, I'd think they would have offered one instead of a SC, but I don't have the experience/knowledge to say.

The videos on STS's site are pretty cool, though. Toyota doesn't make a SC for my 4-banger, but STS does make a turbo.......

I wasn't trying to start a debate... ...even though it was probably unavoidable.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #16

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I think the 4.0L has plenty of power, and I question the durability of the engine with either a turbo or SC? I like how the STS kit moves the turbo and the heat out of the engine compartment, and runs lower boost. Its also a bunch cheaper, and you can make more power without buying anything new. The TRD SC is pretty simple, it gives you a much better intake and its all made by Toyota. However with the SC to get the most out of it, you really should replace the headers and exhaust. In the end there doing the same thing.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #17
Say What?
Question Both????

what do you all think about having a supercharger AND a turbo? is it possible?

might be the ultimate solution to this debate.....

seriously...if it's possible, I might be willing to do it....

thanks,
Pat
Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #18
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Only problem with the STS is that it hangs underneath the truck, able to be hit by rocks and brush out on a trail
Old 01-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickockander View Post
what do you all think about having a supercharger AND a turbo? is it possible?

might be the ultimate solution to this debate.....

seriously...if it's possible, I might be willing to do it....

thanks,
Pat
Detroit Diesel made a bunch of 2 stroke supercharged and turboed engines for farm and heavey construction equipment. They sounded MEAN! For a modern gasoline engine, I dont think its very practical.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD4x4858 View Post
Only problem with the STS is that it hangs underneath the truck, able to be hit by rocks and brush out on a trail
X2.