Notices

Tacoma Key Programming

Old 09-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #21
2K6 Taco will become famous soon enough

2K6 Taco's Tacoma Gallery
someone should make a video of this.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice write OP. I was in the process of getting my second key made.. then found out it was gonna be a pretty penny AND the fact that when I bought the truck.. it only came with the valet key. So.. I bought a chipped uncut key from a member here ($20).. had it cut at lowes like you did (for free), now.. its just sitting. You think this would work using my valet key as the programming key?

Again, great writeup!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #23
seric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
seric007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1988 View Post
Very nice write OP. I was in the process of getting my second key made.. then found out it was gonna be a pretty penny AND the fact that when I bought the truck.. it only came with the valet key. So.. I bought a chipped uncut key from a member here ($20).. had it cut at lowes like you did (for free), now.. its just sitting. You think this would work using my valet key as the programming key?

Again, great writeup!
shouldn't be any issues. don't need the master, just need the key to turn it to the "on" position initially.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #24
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Even if you did not have a primary key, this tool will work to program a replacement key. If you read the full instructions it shows how you can do this without having a primary key. It just takes a little longer. The advantage is that you can program your new key as your primary key, and then your backup key, and your valet key. (I always suggest you should have 2 main keys and a valet key as a backup)
Old 09-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #25
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. Thanks guys.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #26
jtnyc is on a distinguished road
jtnyc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K6 Taco View Post
someone should make a video of this.
+1
Old 09-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #27

i just ordered the blank key and the programer yesterday. MAYBE i will make a video to add to this thread.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #28
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
No programmer required for 2nd gens if you already have one master key. This worked great on my 4th gen runner and i believe it works on 2nd gen tacomas too.

Maybe someone double check this for a 2nd gen and Sticky it with the original instructions for those who do not have an original chipped key?

C n Pd from T4r.org Cost me a total of about $15 for key and cut. programming was free.. no programmer required.

I recently came across this and did my research both on here and on various other forums.
Some said that it has to be programmed by a dealer/locksmith and some said that only the keys with a small dot near the end of the key blade works. Some also mentioned that walmart/home depot would cut the key.

However most of those information might not be the truth based on my experience. I'm willing to provide a small guide on this for those in need.

How to get a key blank

I bought the key blank from a seller on Amazon and there was no small dot on the key blade at all but it works.Those found on ebay might also work.
So just buy the cheapest one which says "for 03-09 4runner"
Should be less than 20 bucks shipped.

How to cut

I at first went to walmart but they refused to cut it because I didn't buy the key blank from them. Home depot and lowe's did the same thing.
So I asked a local locksmith and he did it for just 5 bucks. (just FYI those keys are made of brass, not steel, so most locksmiths would be able to cut them.)

How to program

Actually it's a super easy if you still have one master key that can start your 4runner. There was a pdf somewhere about how to do it on a Prado but
its not very clear(it would ask you to remove the key from ignition 3 times without mentioning putting it back in at all) so I'll try to provide a clearer one here:

1. Take the new key and one master key that can start your 4runner(old key) into the 4runner with you and close the driver's door.(immobilizer light should be blinking)

2. Insert old key, remove old key, Insert old key, remove old key,
Insert old key, remove old key, Insert old key, remove old key,
Insert old key (immobilizer light should be off from the first insertion)

3. open and close driver's door six times (immobilizer light should be off)
Step 2 and 3 need to be done in less than 35 seconds(pdf says 35 seconds)

4.remove the old key. (immobilizer light should come on(steady on, not blinking))

5. insert the new key(immobilizer light should be blinking)

Then just sit there and wait, after about one minute the blinking immobilizer light should go off and you're done.

Whole process need to be repeated for any additional keys, the just programmed key could be used as the "old key" for the additional keys.

If there are 5 master keys registered with the immobilizer, it won't accept any more(and I don't know how would it tell you this, so just do a erase if you can't get it to work after trying for a few times). You have to erase them using a similar method(bring in just an old key, insert+remove one more time and open+close one more time, after the 7th close of the driver's door the immobilizer light will stay lighted for one second, remove the old key quickly after that and all but that one you just removed are erased.)

If you don't have any working master key(meaning you only have valet keys). Then I've no idea what could you do other than ask for help from a dealership.

Total cost is less than $25 if you still have at least 1 working master key. Less than 1/5 of what my local dealership wants.

Hope this would be useful for those in need, please post your results if you decided to give this a try.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
seric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerSeth View Post
No programmer required for 2nd gens if you already have one master key. This worked great on my 4th gen runner and i believe it works on 2nd gen tacomas too.

Maybe someone double check this for a 2nd gen and Sticky it with the original instructions for those who do not have an original chipped key?

C n Pd from T4r.org Cost me a total of about $15 for key and cut. programming was free.. no programmer required.

I recently came across this and did my research both on here and on various other forums.
Some said that it has to be programmed by a dealer/locksmith and some said that only the keys with a small dot near the end of the key blade works. Some also mentioned that walmart/home depot would cut the key.

However most of those information might not be the truth based on my experience. I'm willing to provide a small guide on this for those in need.

How to get a key blank

I bought the key blank from a seller on Amazon and there was no small dot on the key blade at all but it works.Those found on ebay might also work.
So just buy the cheapest one which says "for 03-09 4runner"
Should be less than 20 bucks shipped.

How to cut

I at first went to walmart but they refused to cut it because I didn't buy the key blank from them. Home depot and lowe's did the same thing.
So I asked a local locksmith and he did it for just 5 bucks. (just FYI those keys are made of brass, not steel, so most locksmiths would be able to cut them.)

How to program

Actually it's a super easy if you still have one master key that can start your 4runner. There was a pdf somewhere about how to do it on a Prado but
its not very clear(it would ask you to remove the key from ignition 3 times without mentioning putting it back in at all) so I'll try to provide a clearer one here:

1. Take the new key and one master key that can start your 4runner(old key) into the 4runner with you and close the driver's door.(immobilizer light should be blinking)

2. Insert old key, remove old key, Insert old key, remove old key,
Insert old key, remove old key, Insert old key, remove old key,
Insert old key (immobilizer light should be off from the first insertion)

3. open and close driver's door six times (immobilizer light should be off)
Step 2 and 3 need to be done in less than 35 seconds(pdf says 35 seconds)

4.remove the old key. (immobilizer light should come on(steady on, not blinking))

5. insert the new key(immobilizer light should be blinking)

Then just sit there and wait, after about one minute the blinking immobilizer light should go off and you're done.

Whole process need to be repeated for any additional keys, the just programmed key could be used as the "old key" for the additional keys.

If there are 5 master keys registered with the immobilizer, it won't accept any more(and I don't know how would it tell you this, so just do a erase if you can't get it to work after trying for a few times). You have to erase them using a similar method(bring in just an old key, insert+remove one more time and open+close one more time, after the 7th close of the driver's door the immobilizer light will stay lighted for one second, remove the old key quickly after that and all but that one you just removed are erased.)

If you don't have any working master key(meaning you only have valet keys). Then I've no idea what could you do other than ask for help from a dealership.

Total cost is less than $25 if you still have at least 1 working master key. Less than 1/5 of what my local dealership wants.

Hope this would be useful for those in need, please post your results if you decided to give this a try.
if this method works that is definitely a cheaper alternative- someone should guinea pig to confirm.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:58 AM   #30
jtnyc's Tacoma Gallery
unfortunately the runner doesn't work on 2nd gen tacos... at least not for me. There's a vid of this method on youtube but the guy is in a runner.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #31
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnyc View Post
unfortunately the runner doesn't work on 2nd gen tacos... at least not for me. There's a vid of this method on youtube but the guy is in a runner.
I still think someone else should try it. I have a friend who is sure he used this method a couple years ago on his 2006 double cab.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #32
RadK9 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
RadK9's Tacoma Gallery
key programing

I have a 2005 Tacoma. I purchased the key blank and the Toyota Key Programmer. I had the key cut. The new key opens the doors and turns the ignition. I insert the master key as described and followed the steps. The key programmer made one beep. After about 15 seconds, the programmer started to beep several times, stopped beeping for 5 seconds and started the long series of beeps again. I never received the long beep as described. I can not get the the long beep to proceed with the programming any thoughts or help?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadK9 View Post
I have a 2005 Tacoma. I purchased the key blank and the Toyota Key Programmer. I had the key cut. The new key opens the doors and turns the ignition. I insert the master key as described and followed the steps. The key programmer made one beep. After about 15 seconds, the programmer started to beep several times, stopped beeping for 5 seconds and started the long series of beeps again. I never received the long beep as described. I can not get the the long beep to proceed with the programming any thoughts or help?

it should beep.... then... 3 beeps.. then... 1 long Beeeep and you begin the procedure..

try again, be patient... 20-30 seconds in between the cycles.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #34
jtnyc's Tacoma Gallery
Having just done it this morning, I can confirm that these steps worked for me 100%.

The only slight modification is for step 7 - you can look at the red (usually flashing) security light to know when the programming is complete (when the flashing red stops flashing or turns solid, cant remember exactly) and you can move on to the next key or next step. It only took about a second for this. If you're not sure, you can also just waitng about 5 seconds as noted in the instructions.

When you're done, one way to tell if the new key is properly programmed is to look at the flashing red light. When a programmed key is inserted, the red light will stop flashing. When you take the key out, or if the key is not properly programmed, the red light will flash to indicate that the immobilizer is active.

OP, thanks again for this helpful post! You saved me about $40 over the cheapest locksmith I found.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #35
drsus is on a distinguished road

drsus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadK9 View Post
This is the same result I go on my 2012 .....confused.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsus View Post
This is the same result I go on my 2012 .....confused.
your doing this with the key in the on position, correct?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #37

I can confirm this worked 100%. took me 3 mins to do. if anyone wanna buy the programmer, i can sell it so you don't have to wait for it to be shipped from china.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #38
mackendw is on a distinguished road
Name: Wendell
mackendw's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Toyota Tacoma key programming problem

Drsus:

I'm having the same problem with programming a new key I got too using the Toyota SmartKeymaker. I get the first beep, then after about a minute a series of beeps about 1-2 seconds apart that continues for several minutes.

I have confirmed that I'm putting the key in the On position where the dash lights up with many icons indicating you are about to start the engine.

Anyone provide assistance here??

thx.
W. MacKenzie
Old 01-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #39
Bsfilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsfilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsfilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsfilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsfilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsfilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsfilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsfilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsfilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsfilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsfilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bsfilter's Tacoma Gallery
I just finished doing two keys for my 08 Tacoma. I have had these keys for over a year and refused to get bent over by the dealer to program them for me so when I saw this thread I immediately bought the programmer. It arrived in about two weeks and this morning I decided to go outside and give it a shot. Could not have been easier. Took my about 10 minutes from time I walked out to my truck until I was walking back into the house finished! Thanks to the OP for this awesome "How To" thread. This place is a fountain of info and some of it is actually useful (haha) Now it is time for some football, a few cold ones and then fire up that bbq. Good times!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #40
drsus is on a distinguished road

drsus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by seric007 View Post
your doing this with the key in the on position, correct?
yes i am...ran it in a few different variation to make sure i covered any mis interpretations, no dice.....doesnt mean im not doing it wrong, just dont know what step im missing if its supposed to work.