Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma Key Programming

Old 01-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #41
seric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
seric007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackendw View Post
Drsus:

I'm having the same problem with programming a new key I got too using the Toyota SmartKeymaker. I get the first beep, then after about a minute a series of beeps about 1-2 seconds apart that continues for several minutes.

I have confirmed that I'm putting the key in the On position where the dash lights up with many icons indicating you are about to start the engine.

Anyone provide assistance here??

thx.
W. MacKenzie
can i get a little info, year, model, ect...

key on - door open - then inserting keymaker device into obd port.. correct?

if you've tried that then try:

try inserting obd keymaker divice into port, door open - turning key to on position.

and if that fails i would try to see if leaving it plugged in will ever yield a single long chirp then silence... proceed with step 7 if it does

its also *very* possible with mass produced AMAZING china quality that you simply got a defective unit.... if all else fails, contact shipper for replacement. i order stuff from china all the time and they usually just send you out another
Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #42
drsus is on a distinguished road

drsus's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I ordered a 2nd obd key programmer. I order my first one from different source than yours and the beeping was crappy so I suspected a bad unit. Te second one is from your source and it seems to work well S far as the beeps and such..... But I still couldn't get mine to program. Tried both methods you just suggested on last reply to no avail.

It basically beeps once when I plug it, about 45secs to min later it just starts beeping on/off non stop, it takes a brake about every minute or so and continues.... My dog hates me btw.

2012 Tacoma 4 dr 4x4 off road pkg v6 jbl/navy (in case that would matter ?)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #43
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Most home improvement stores cannot not even cut a key if is not a blank they have in the computer. Just find a good old fashion hardware store like Ace. That is where I got my extra Polaris keys done.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #44
badtoytrd is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Brock
badtoytrd's Tacoma Gallery
Tried this and the extra key works but now the anti theft light stays on all the time and blinks when the key is in the ignition. Any ideas? Its almost like the truck is stuck in programing mode.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #45
badtoytrd is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Brock
badtoytrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtoytrd View Post
Tried this and the extra key works but now the anti theft light stays on all the time and blinks when the key is in the ignition. Any ideas? Its almost like the truck is stuck in programing mode.
So i was able to get the light to go back to normal by inserting the original key and turning back and forth from lock to on 10 times but it won't let me program more than 1 extra key. Again, any ideas?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #46
madxman21 is on a distinguished road
madxman21's Tacoma Gallery
Got 3 blank keys off of Amazon, and the programmer off of Ebay. It works! Thanks so much!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #47
Bhwang is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
Bhwang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by seric007 View Post

do ensure the key will turn ignition before proceeding to next steps.....

[/B]
Could you explain this more, I have my key cut and it will fit into my ignition, but wont turn, so I need the smart key programmer thing to make it able to start the truck ? Correct ? Also I had the key cut at a lock smith.

BTW great info and thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #48
madxman21 is on a distinguished road
madxman21's Tacoma Gallery
When you have your key cut at the lock smith it should already be able to turn in the ignition from on to start position. When you try to start your taco it just won't start the engine because its not programmed yet. If it wont turn in the ignition, you had it cut wrong. Have them check the key again.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #49
Bhwang is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
Bhwang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by madxman21 View Post
When you have your key cut at the lock smith it should already be able to turn in the ignition from on to start position. When you try to start your taco it just won't start the engine because its not programmed yet. If it wont turn in the ignition, you had it cut wrong. Have them check the key again.
Ok will do, I have had it checked again already and dee burred again so i guess that key is SOL. Thanks
Old 04-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #50
RollingRocker is on a distinguished road
Name: Clay
RollingRocker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtoytrd View Post
So i was able to get the light to go back to normal by inserting the original key and turning back and forth from lock to on 10 times but it won't let me program more than 1 extra key. Again, any ideas?

I'm having the same issue with only being able to program one extra key. Works perfectly for the first not for any of the rest. Did you ever get an answer to why it won't let program more than one?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #51
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Lowe's and Home Depots have computerized key cutters that only work with certain blanks. All they can cut jn my area are house keys. Ace Hardware is where I went to get keys cut for my Polaris ATV. They also do chip keys for vehicles.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #52
Max5150 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Max5150's Tacoma Gallery
Received my programmer from Ebay and bought keys off Amazon. Worked great! Appreciate all the help...
Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #53
Andy Standard is on a distinguished road
Andy Standard's Tacoma Gallery
Is there any way to program a flip key fob so you can just have all-in-one key instead of having the transponder key and separate remote? It adds a bit of bulk to my keys and I'd like to minimize it if I can.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #54
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stump jumper View Post
Lowe's and Home Depots have computerized key cutters that only work with certain blanks. All they can cut jn my area are house keys. Ace Hardware is where I went to get keys cut for my Polaris ATV. They also do chip keys for vehicles.

+ 1 on the ACE Hardware.

They cut a blank Mitsubishi key for me one time, but I first had to explain that I knew it wasn't going to work without programming first. That car had a programming procedure that worked without using any extra plug in devices.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #55
Huntsonora is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Huntsonora's Tacoma Gallery
Will this work for a 2011 4Runner?
Old 06-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #56
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
These keys suck, computer this and that.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #57
Huntsonora is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Huntsonora's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
These keys suck, computer this and that.
I agree!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #58
Sant919 is on a distinguished road
Name: Santo
Sant919's Tacoma Gallery
this will work on a 2012 TRD?? lost one set of keys soooo pissed!! thanks!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #59
Ritsui is on a distinguished road
Name: Sean
Ritsui's Tacoma Gallery
More thanks to the O.P.

Did this today. Instructions worked perfectly on my 2009 Tacoma TRD.

Followup edit: After successfully programming a third key, the theft light began blinking with the engine on (no ignition kill, everything working). Searched and found that turning the ignition on/off 10 times fast (1 second or less per turn) as mentioned in this thread reset the theft indicator.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #60
gxman22 is on a distinguished road
gxman22's Tacoma Gallery
Seric007,

What part of Arizona you are from? I am in metro Phoenix. I saw this unit for sale shipped from NJ for $16.99. I was wondering if I use or buy your unit. Thanks