1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Key Programming

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by seric007, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Nov 4, 2013 at 5:32 AM
    texascolt45

texascolt45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    groves texas
    Vehicle:
    prerunner 4 cylinder
    wheels,bilsteins,side bars
    damn glad my base model prerunner has plain keys.no electronic stuff recquired.5 bucks at the locksmith.now if that damn tpms light would burn out!

2. Nov 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM
    2ndchancetoyotas

2ndchancetoyotas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Rebuilt
    As someone asked earlier, what would I need to order to get the fob built into the head of the key? From a 4 runner or a camry?

Edit: Searched around and found nothing. The only idea I have which is extreme is to see if the lock cylinder is the same as a Camry and swap it out. I think the grooves on the side are different. Then you have the challenge if the immoblizer will accept the key.

Damn you Toyota....damn you.....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  3. Dec 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    redhatnick

redhatnick New Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 X-Runner Manual
    I was able to go through this process but wanted to post some observations for others that might try to go through the same thing one day. This is based on a 2005 X-Runner [V6].

Keys
    ---------
    Order some additional keys, even if you do not plan to cut them. I had duds come out during the cutting process so I'm glad I had some extra blanks on hand.

My last master key is 8 years old and worn down a bit. This may complicate duplication and new keys may be hard to use the first time you put them in the door/ignition.

STRATEC is the OEM key supplier for Toyota so if your key comes out of a box that says STRATEC you still getting the same quality OEM key that they are selling at the dealership. The going rate for the STRATEC key seems to be about $20-$40 per key, anything more is pure markup. If your a savvy negotiator, you should be able to talk the dealership parts department down to about $35 or so, but don't expect anything cheaper from the dealer. If the key is less than $20, it's probably a knock-off which should still work, but it's not OEM.

The transponder chip inside the key is a Texas Instruments 4D-67 chip, or often shortened to just '67' chip. These keys are also designated with a small dot that appears at the top on one side of the key blade just before the key head. Knock-off keys may still have the transponder, but will not have the dot at the top of the blade so this is an easy way to identify the knock-offs from OEM.

Home Depot and Lowes will usually not cut your key. Cutting your car key interferes with their own car transponder key service usually priced at about $70 per key, and their key cutting machine may also ruin your blank key. Avoid the Axxces PC key cutting machine popular at Home Depot, Lowes, and Wal-Mart as this does not seem to work. You should probably find a locksmith, if you can't think of any, try Craigslist.

Reading the Immobilizer
    ------------------------
    You should understand a few things about the immobilizer before your proceed before you panic and think you've ruined your car.

When the immobilizer is functioning normally with no key in the ignition, it should flash at a regular interval.

Inserting a valid programmed key will cause the immobilizer light to stop flashing indicating your vehicle will start if attempted. :)

Inserting an invalid key will continue flashing the immobilizer light (in the same manner as if there were not key in the ignition) indicating while you may have access to the START position in the ignition, your vehicle will be allowed to CRANK but will not stay RUNNING compliments of Toyota. :mad:

This doesn't seem to bother anything else, but by monitoring the immobilizer light carefully you can determine if your car will start without having to keep trying to crank it. :cool:

Also, as a reminder, continued cranking may wear out your car battery, so be prepared for a jump since programming too may leave your car in ON mode without the engine running for longer than you normally would. Don't confuse a dead battery for a screwed up immobilizer system.

If the immobilizer light stays on/flash when the car is running don't panic, the programming may not be completed. Inserting the master key and turning the ignition to ON (but not cranking) 5-10 times rapidly should close out programming and end this behavior and return to normal.

Verify the immobilizer is back to normal again before making another attempt at programming.

Toyota Smart KeyMaker
    ---------------------------

The Toyota Smart Keymaker appears to be able to open the immobilizer up for programming after the 3rd long beep and thats about it. I haven't tried yet the other steps such as a total immobilizer reset.

I have not been able to program more than two keys at a time with the Smart KeyMaker. You'll need atleast 1 key to get into the ON position and may add a second key at this time. The third and later keys seem to be ignored and the only final steps to complete at this point is to close out programming (insert first key and rapidly move ignition to ON 5-10 times).

Restarting the process will recognize a new key, but then any previously programmed keys are then no longer recognized. Again, it seems only two keys are supported. If someone knows something different than this, please let me know.

4. Jan 8, 2014 at 7:02 AM
    Marcoc

Marcoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road LB
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR LB white w/tech package
    well this didnt work for me either. I used two different keys I had cut. one purchased from my local Lowes and one purhased online via Amazon. The "Toyota Smartkey programmer" did all the described beeps and I did the steps about 3-4 times with no success. One of the keys turns the ignition to on and cranks the truck but wont start and the other does nothing. WTF. Any ideas? not looking to go to dealer

5. Jan 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM
    Marcoc

Marcoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road LB
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR LB white w/tech package
    Ok. Got this to work fit me finally. The OP has everything perfect but the final step to add is cycling the key 5 times in the ignition to the on position then remove. This removes the computer from programming mode.

6. Mar 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM
    jc3910

jc3910 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma sr5
    Does this work with a 2014 model?
    Jack

7. Mar 4, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    Speedo

Speedo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dcsb 4x4
    Wrecked!
    has anyone tried this on a 2 gen tacoma

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Mar 18, 2014 at 11:56 AM
    RandomHero

RandomHero Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD
    I'm in need of the programmer and/or extra keys. If anyone wants to get rid of theirs I am sure we can work something out.

9. Mar 21, 2014 at 10:03 AM
    Speedo

Speedo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dcsb 4x4
    Wrecked!

Ok i tried this and it dosnt work on 2 gen also did some more research and found that this will work for 1 st gen tacos . Thanks seth for the info its good for all the 1st gen and 4 runner guys.

10. Mar 21, 2014 at 10:04 AM
    Speedo

Speedo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dcsb 4x4
    Wrecked!
    Dose anyone have a programmer in sac area i have a key cut and a extra i will trade for the use of the programmer

11. May 12, 2014 at 7:33 PM
    pwint80

pwint80 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    pat
    gulf coast florida
    Vehicle:
    07 tamcoma pre runner sr5 v6 std
    none yet
    this was posted by *** another user *** here I just want to let all know that I can verify this process worked on my 2007 Tacoma pre runner v6 manual
    How to get a key blank

I bought the key blank from a seller on ebay and there was small dot on the key blade it works.
    So just buy the cheapest one which says 07 tacoma
    I got 2 for 24 bucks shipped.

How to cut

I went to walmart asked guy if he could cut keys for me
    told him I didn't need programmed.. had to ask manager
    she said they could (nice lady for wal mart)he cut first key told him I wanted to run out make sure it fit door and ignition it did went back it said it worked cut the second one.... asked lady how much she said no chrg they were your keys.... OH YEAH LUCKY DAY (wish that luck was on lottery day:)

How to program (I followed this process and was able to program key on first try)

Actually it's a super easy if you still have one master key that can start your 4runner. There was a pdf somewhere about how to do it on a Prado but

1. Take the new key and one master key that can start your 4runner(old key) into the 4runner with you and close the driver's door.(immobilizer light should be blinking)

2. Insert old key, remove old key, Insert old key, remove old key,
    Insert old key, remove old key, Insert old key, remove old key,
    Insert old key (immobilizer light should be off from the first insertion)

3. open and close driver's door six times (immobilizer light should be off)
    Step 2 and 3 need to be done in less than 35 seconds(pdf says 35 seconds)

4.remove the old key. (immobilizer light should come on(steady on, not blinking))

5. insert the new key(immobilizer light should be blinking)

Then just sit there and wait, after about one minute the blinking immobilizer light should go off and you're done.

Whole process need to be repeated for any additional keys, the just programmed key could be used as the "old key" for the additional keys.

If there are 5 master keys registered with the immobilizer, it won't accept any more(and I don't know how would it tell you this, so just do a erase if you can't get it to work after trying for a few times). You have to erase them using a similar method(bring in just an old key, insert+remove one more time and open+close one more time, after the 7th close of the driver's door the immobilizer light will stay lighted for one second, remove the old key quickly after that and all but that one you just removed are erased.)

If you don't have any working master key(meaning you only have valet keys). Then I've no idea what could you do other than ask for help from a dealership.

Total cost is less than $25 if you still have at least 1 working master key. Less than 1/5 of what my local dealership wants.

Hope this would be useful for those in need, please post your results if you decided to give this a try.

thank you whoever you are
    I'm just paying it forward hope you don't mind

12. May 31, 2014 at 12:26 PM
    tacobillmag

tacobillmag Member

Member:
  13. May 31, 2014 at 1:56 PM
    tacobillmag

tacobillmag Member

Member:

Can someone verify that this works on a 2012 Tacoma?

14. Jun 12, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    terps2005

terps2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern MD
    Vehicle:
    17 Super White DCLB Sport
    TRD Pro Grill w/white letters Inno roof rack Body Armor Hiline Bumper TRD Pro Skid plate Full meso interior chrome delete Bronze AGP T4R replica wheels Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires Homelink Mirror Pioneer DMH-WC6600NEX head unit with Maestro integration A shit ton of crumbs and dirt in the back from my 2 little monsters
    Anyone get this working on a 2011+? I keep getting the constant beeps also.

15. Jun 12, 2014 at 12:20 PM
    WailuaTaco808

WailuaTaco808 A.L.O.H.A. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Hawaiian Islands
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD SPORT Kauai Built
    Oh boy...
    subbed! great writeup

16. Jun 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM
    SupraMan

SupraMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Vladivostok, Russia
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off Road DCSB
    LEER 100XR, 2" IronMan 4x4 Lift Kit
    I programmed the new key for my 2012 by myself.

First I called local Toyota dealer, they said will not do it because my Tacoma was not oficially sold in Russia. Then called some shops, they said can do it for $120-140. I thought it was too much for me.

Did some research in internet. Peolpe said they used Mini-VCI cables for such things. So I ordered it on AliExpress.com for less than $18. Cable came with cracked TIS Techstream software. Drivers and software was installed on my Windows 8.1 tablet easily and I could connect to my vehicle, delete the key I don't have and program new key. Also I disabled annoying seat belt warnings. Software allows to register TPMS sensors too.

I bought blank transponder key locally for $23 and cut it for $6.

Total is 18 + 23 + 6 = $47

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  17. Jun 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM
    Coldfire

Coldfire Well-Known Member

Member:
  18. Jul 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM
    LarryM04

LarryM04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dayton, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 BRM DCSB TRD Sport
  19. Jul 31, 2014 at 12:27 PM
    Databox

Databox Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fernandina Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport SR5
    Rims and Tires
  20. Aug 9, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    enigmatic

enigmatic New Member

Member:
    decatur Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 xtra cab
    3 inch lift kit, retractable antenna, kenwood 6" screen with reverse cam, leather seats,
    hey i have a similar case in study. my ecu got damaged. i replaced it with the exact used salvage one i bought of ebay. however it wont start the vehicle because the new ecu doesnt have the codes for my original key chip. i was wondering since this method programs the ecu with the new key codes, if it will work for me. so instead of programming a blank, i will actually be programming my original key into the new ecu.

Products Discussed in

To Top