Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma Key Programming

Old 09-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
seric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
seric007's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Key Programming

So there doesn't appear to be a Key Programming thread, so here we go folks!

I refuse to pay dealership prices for Transponder Keys. Walmart and the like aren't much better at 80+$ a key (and that's assuming the idiot behind the counter doesn't jack up your key)

Total price with steps below is 31.98 - and then each additional key only costs 14.48 and you can program new keys for family members with a Toyota/Lexus .... so here we go....

**update, noticed that the keys can be had from several different vendors, ebay sells them in lots of 10 for 66$ taking the cost of the key in half and you can always sell the rest

Step 1: Acquire Key Blank

visit amazon or ebay and pick up youself a key blank with a transponder. Amazon has them for 12.50$ shipped to your door. These blanks are not programmable, but rather programmed already and you must program you ECU to accept the new transponder key.

Step 2: Acquire Programmer

your going to need something program that key into your taco, right? We need to pick up a programmer that can add the new transponder key into the ECU. This will work with the Taco and many other Toyota models.

Visit ebay and search "toyota smart keymaker". you want to purchase "Toyota & LExus OBD2 Smart Key Maker Programmer" I purchased mine from edward-hz2001 and was able to submit an offer to bring the price down to 17.50! It took 10 business days to be delivered to my front door.

Step 3: Cut that key

The Key should arrive within the week, so get it cut before you get the programmer.

I did find this to be a rather tricky part. if you bring in a key most places they look at you like you are insane. Why on earth would you want them to cut a key blank you provided, after all.
After visiting Several Wal-Marts for key-cutting services I gave up on that idea and I ended up at Lowes.

Now, here's the trick....
You might get lucky and the guy might be nice and cut it, problem is they have no way to charge you for just cutting the key. They charge for the keys themselves. So i find its nice to work in a way to "pay" for the service. Ask them to make you a copy that can just open doors. this cost me 1.98 and while they are at it they probably wont mind cutting the key you bring in

do ensure the key will turn ignition before proceeding to next steps.....

Step 4: Programming

Programming Step 1: Close all doors except drivers door. Leave open during programming

Programming Step 2: Insert Original Key (the one your currently using to get around) and turn to the on position

Programming Step 3: Insert SmarKeymaker into OBD Port

Programming Step 4: wait for first beep. (1-15 seconds)

Programming Step 5: Wait for second beep, this will be 3 quick beeps identifying (3rd generation) (1-30 seconds after first beep)

Programming Step 6: wait for final long beep. this can take a little bit, so be patient. (30seconds to 1 minute) once we hear the long beep, we can proceed to the programming

Programming Step 7: Remove original key and reinsert, DO NOT TURN, wait 5 seconds and remove.

THEN insert the new key, DO NOT TURN, wait 5 seconds and remove.

Programming Step 8: Insert original key and turn to ignition ON Position and Lock position 5 times quickly. Remove Key.

Programming Step 9: Close Door (you left it open,right?) then open door.

Programming Step 10: Remove SmartKeymaker

Programming Step Step 11: Test out and enjoy new key!

Old 09-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up!
Old 09-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Great info, and thanks for the write up. I wasn't aware of the "key maker" so was thinking to get the techstream clone. Does anyone if you can program for a new key with it? I would rather spend slightly more to have all the diagnostic abilities as well, if it will work.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
seric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
Great info, and thanks for the write up. I wasn't aware of the "key maker" so was thinking to get the techstream clone. Does anyone if you can program for a new key with it? I would rather spend slightly more to have all the diagnostic abilities as well, if it will work.
the techstream (or its clones) should be able to put the ECU into transponder learning mode.. but they are quite a bit more then 17.50
Old 09-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by seric007 View Post
the techstream (or its clones) should be able to put the ECU into transponder learning mode.. but they are quite a bit more then 17.50
About $45 with cable.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
MOLON LABE
Ragin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud ofRagin Devildoc has much to be proud of

Navy: 8452/8404 Corpsman
Name: Doc
Ragin Devildoc's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up
Old 09-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
. . . Very informative ... thanks ...
Old 09-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
jtnyc is on a distinguished road
jtnyc's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you. I've been eyeing one of these programmers too because I just can't bare to spend $130 at the dealer or $80 at locksmith.

Was hesitent to buy this programmer because the included instructions were obviously written by someone who's not fluent in English... Your instructions are substantially different from the originals.

So is this also the "4D" key programmer? I remember seeing different versions of the programmer that all look the same, but one does 4D only and the other does 4C and 4D

So this definitely works for the 2nd gen?

Will be ordering one now.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnyc View Post
Thank you. I've been eyeing one of these programmers too because I just can't bare to spend $130 at the dealer or $80 at locksmith.

Was hesitent to buy this programmer because the included instructions were obviously written by someone who's not fluent in English... Your instructions are substantially different from the originals.

So is this also the "4D" key programmer? I remember seeing different versions of the programmer that all look the same, but one does 4D only and the other does 4C and 4D

So this definitely works for the 2nd gen?

Will be ordering one now.

Thanks!
yeah the translated instructions are junk.. i searched all over the place and mixed and match instructions and gave it a try. method above was the first shot and it worked without a hitch .

the one i picked up only does 4D... however i don't think a 4C and 4D unit would cause problems.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Quote:
About $45 with cable.

maybe i misunderstand, but you also need a laptop/pc + the software, correct?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #12
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by seric007 View Post
maybe i misunderstand, but you also need a laptop/pc + the software, correct?
Yes, laptop not included in that $45. The cable and clone software together can be had on fleabay for $45-50 shipped, which I find almost too cheap. The cables alone run about $30. I thinking of buying a laptop ASAP anyway, so the added expense is very minimal in my case. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone thats used the clone though, and if it will indeed work for programming for a new transponder key. Otherwise, I will probably go the same route you did for the key. I only have one master key, and know I'd better get another before anything happens to it. Good find either way, and thanks again for the write up.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write-up. Now you know why the dealers charge so much for doing it for you. lol.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
Wishin' I was Fishin'

OK, I was reading on the Techstream clone thread that it will allow adding and removal of transponder keys. To get your own transponder keys cut, can you not just pay for a key, and leave their blank there? Or take it, still blank?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
So, with all the talk of Tacoma thefts lately, it looks like we are only one step away from the method the thieves are using to drive these away.

Not bashing OP, just wondering if this might be the tool they start out with, then hack it to not need the original key.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #16
jtnyc is on a distinguished road
jtnyc's Tacoma Gallery
I believe this method "clones" the key, so you still need a key that's matched up (programmed) to the truck.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #17
Quote:
OK, I was reading on the Techstream clone thread that it will allow adding and removal of transponder keys. To get your own transponder keys cut, can you not just pay for a key, and leave their blank there? Or take it, still blank?
You'll probably confuse the poor guy working the counter. Just approach, pull out your key and your blank and say, hey i need to get 2 things. first off, a copy made for this that can open doors. and i also need this blank cut if you can.

they are less likely to argue. the first few places i tried (aka walmart) wouldn't cut it, one guy even lied and said it wouldn't fit in his machine. they wouldn't even make me a blank that could open doors!! However, YMMV
Old 09-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
So, with all the talk of Tacoma thefts lately, it looks like we are only one step away from the method the thieves are using to drive these away.

Not bashing OP, just wondering if this might be the tool they start out with, then hack it to not need the original key.
well, that would still take time as just plunging it in isn't going to turn the ignition to the on position.. but anything is possible, however unlikely.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnyc View Post
I believe this method "clones" the key, so you still need a key that's matched up (programmed) to the truck.
actually it doesn't clone the key. the transponder "code" is actually added into the tacomas ECU

those cheap-o wal-mart keys "clone" your original key to transmit the same transponder code.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Nice write-up. Now you know why the dealers charge so much for doing it for you. lol.

it may seem like a lot of steps, but takes less then 4 minutes.