1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 TRD OffRoad - Newbe questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JimBCa, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:12 AM
    JimBCa

JimBCa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bay Area California
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Build Duratrac 265/75R16 Load rated E BAMF Rock Sliders, Pelfreybilt Front bumper and skid plates (3) Pro Runner front and rear shocks,Add-A-Leaf springs ATO (Armor Tech Offroad) hilift mounts, Famous Fabrication cb antenna/flag mount CoverKing Tactical seat covers, Flyzeye dash-light ARE Shell, backup light mod SumoSprings and Stops
    So am on the learning curve, owners manual in one hand, web forum in the other, both provide good information, along with eyes, ears and thinking cap.

I just bought mine after getting rear ended in my '95 GMC 4x4 P/U, and have so many new features to learn about.

• Mud flaps, the stock ones seem to come down pretty far, won't they tend to break off when off road on mild runs?
    • Mud Flaps, are they required to be on the road?
    • Head lights, changed my bulbs out to PIAA H4 Intense White Bulbs - low beam seem to have a upper line where you can actually see the light stop yet high beam can see a stop sign 3/4 mile away
    • Rear lockers - One of my fellow workers that has several Toyota p/u and likes this model, said something about a speed limiter on the electronic lockers and if you exceed a certain speed, they disengage.
    • Rear lockers - can be modified to stay on when you need them under the correct conditions
    • Rear end skid plate - noticed there is none, which should I get as I like to keep that part of the truck protected.
    I Have added the bed extender, and front skid plate that Toyota adds as an option, changed out the headlamps to PIAA H4 Intense White Bulbs, and am putting in the K/N air filter.

This is my all in one vehicle and will no doubt be my last, as I keep them until they die. I plan on adding sliders and think that is pretty much it for the time being, even though I have seen some ARB bumpers that look pretty nice.

I don't want or need a go everywhere tank, as I can drive around some obstacles rather that climb everyone, getting there and back is my goal. I geocache as a passion and the goal is to get to the back-road locations, and then be able to go to the next, as as off roading goes, those days for me were best done with a horse. Just want to be safe,have the weak spots protected, and make mild mods as needed to enhance the rig.

2. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:31 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust

3. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    The only thing i would change about Maticuno's post is for a 2012 its not the grey wire mod, use this link and also search for the "locker mod" http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/4838-cheap-free-mods.html#post45412

heres a link to Jlee's page (BAMF) http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bay-area-metal-fabrication/

The only other thing i'll say is about the mud guards, someguys take them off completely or instead take them off and trim 2-3 inches off so theyre still functional but wont get ripped off so easily on trails...

Good luck, and welcome to TW hang on to your wallet :thumbsup:

4. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    JimBCa

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bay Area California
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Build Duratrac 265/75R16 Load rated E BAMF Rock Sliders, Pelfreybilt Front bumper and skid plates (3) Pro Runner front and rear shocks,Add-A-Leaf springs ATO (Armor Tech Offroad) hilift mounts, Famous Fabrication cb antenna/flag mount CoverKing Tactical seat covers, Flyzeye dash-light ARE Shell, backup light mod SumoSprings and Stops
    This is why I love user forums and the internet, get the facts and ideas from others with loads of experience you can't anywhere else.

Thank you for the very informative and quick responses.

Soon I will feel much more comfortable with all the nice things this truck has to offer.

"Good luck, and welcome to TW hang on to your wallet [​IMG]" - understand that, I have two boats, and three grown up kids :)

5. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Thanks for the updated info. I haven't kept up with the changes on the 2012 and didn't realize there was a difference. :notsure:

6. Sep 9, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    BulletToothTony

Member:
    First Name:
    Its not really a difference so much as the "grey wire" mod is normally the 1st gen locker mod, and the "locker mod" is the 2nd gen locker mod :rolleyes: lol..... i was confused too when i started searching, i search grey wire mod found it was for the 1st gens then moved on to the link i posted earlier....

7. Sep 9, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    JimBCa

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bay Area California
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Thanks for the link to the Cheap/Free mods. I can do a few that will make my truck "mine" and not spend over a hundred bucks.

8. Sep 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    BulletToothTony

Member:
    First Name:
  9. Sep 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    [*]Mud flaps, the stock ones seem to come down pretty far, won't they tend to break off when off road on mild runs?
    - They tend to scrape a lot. I shattered the ones on my 2007 on my first run, but the ones on the 2012 are a lot more flexible and so far haven't broke despite having them folded flat against the frame.

Unless you're in a hurry I suggest using the stock ones until the break.

[*]Mud Flaps, are they required to be on the road?
    - Depends on local laws.

[*]Head lights, changed my bulbs out to PIAA H4 Intense White Bulbs - low beam seem to have a upper line where you can actually see the light stop yet high beam can see a stop sign 3/4 mile away
    - The headlights are a shaped projector. They're meant to focus the light low so you get more light down low where you actually need it without blinding oncoming traffic.

[*]Rear lockers - One of my fellow workers that has several Toyota p/u and likes this model, said something about a speed limiter on the electronic lockers and if you exceed a certain speed, they disengage.
    - It won't lock if you're above 5mph, but once locked there's no limit.

[*]Rear lockers - can be modified to stay on when you need them under the correct conditions
    - Correct. From the factory you can only lock the rear end in 4 low. With the mod you can lock them in 4 high by tricking the truck into thinking it's in 4 low. It's not a perfect mod since the truck's computer does some weird things which are covered in the mod thread.

I Have added the bed extender, and front skid plate that Toyota adds as an option, changed out the headlamps to PIAA H4 Intense White Bulbs, and am putting in the K/N air filter.
    - The truck comes stock with a cold air intake and a good filter. Whether you change it or not is up to you, but there's endless amounts of arguing over whether changing filters is of any benefit or not if you care to search for them

10. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics

Products Discussed in

To Top