LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Garmin Nuvi GPS mounted

Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
JTDTacoma is on a distinguished road
JTDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Garmin Nuvi GPS mounted

Here's an option for those looking to mount their GPS units. I secured a RAM mount with double-sided tape to the cubby in front of the shifter. Then on the other side of the RAM I secured a strong magnet (from Menards). On the back of the Nuvi I double-sided taped some metal strips that I cut. The metal strips are positioned on the Nuvi that way so it will still accept the windshield bracket for use in my other cars.

Garmin Nuvi GPS mounted-img_0281.jpg

I also direct wired the Garmin to the fuse box, while the red wire first stops at this switch. This way the Garmin doesn't run every time I turn the key to on. I can switch it off if I want. Bought the switch at Radio Shack and mounted it to one of the unused blanks. The cable then runs up under the 2 cupholders (which can be removed for easy wire hiding).

Garmin Nuvi GPS mounted-img_0286.jpg

The RAM can be positioned perfectly because of the ball joints, then tightened. The magnet holds the Garmin REALLY tight to the RAM.

I never used that cubby area, and the cup holders can still be used. Final result:

Garmin Nuvi GPS mounted-img_0280.jpg
Garmin Nuvi GPS mounted-img_0292.jpg
Old 01-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
daleclough is on a distinguished road
daleclough's Tacoma Gallery
I'm old-fashioned...

I want to quickly glance at the GPS while driving and keep the road in my field of vision. I keep using teh windshield mount and keep the GPS close (low) to the dash. Glare is not a problem and reception is always full bars.

I respect the creative mounting ideas but just not for me.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Yeah it's a little low for glancing but if I need directions I turn the voice on too so there's less looking down. I'm tall with the seat back a ways so it's in view while driving for me. Just got tired of suction cup circles on the windshield.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work!....I got a GPS for Christmas and saw one mounted that way on here not long ago.I looked and couldn't find it so thanks for posting yours.You mentioned your other cars and that is something I wondered about because I would like to be able to use this in our van if need be.What did you use to wire this to the fuse box because I assume you kept the cable intact to plug into a lighter?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
sAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud ofsAm I aM has much to be proud of

Air Force: 19 EMXS/MXMG
sAm I aM's Tacoma Gallery
I keep mine on the windshield also right underneath my rearview mirror. Its always a quick easy glance and I can bump my speedometer against the GPS on a regular basis. I tried mounting it low like that but its just wasn't as user friendly to me. I believe in some states you have no other choice though as its against the law to have things mounted on your windshield. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this. Looks good though.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
I found a direct wire online so no tampering with the cig lighter cable.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks JTD.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
How does it being down there affect the signal strength?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
No problem with signal. The thing even works in my house if I'm near a window.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #12
3Dstruct will become famous soon enough
3Dstruct's Tacoma Gallery
Nice setup! I mounted my GPS there also. I like that its all kind of hidden down low and might not catch an eye from parking lot shoppers.
I want to power mine away from the cig lighter too. I think I am going to cut the cord off one of my old razr cell phone chargers (mini USB) and use that for my power line from fuse box. Hopefully it works. I like the switch idea too. Thanks! Dave
Old 01-15-2009, 03:14 AM   #13
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good but if you're going to go that low it easier to buy a cupholder mount,IMO.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:34 AM   #14
Cupholder would be easier (not that this was tough) but too ghetto for me. Plus it uses up a cupholder.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:47 AM   #15
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up man, I really need to do something with my GPS I got for X-mas/birthday.