Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mech LSD or open diff?

Old 09-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Mech LSD or open diff?

Specs:

06 DCLB SR5 prerunner

I'm confused because my rear diff has the "LSD oil Only" sticker and I've read thats an easy way to tell if you have the mechanical lsd, i also read that if you jack up the rear off the ground and spin one tire, if the other spins in the same direction you have the LSD, well i have the sticker but when i spin one tire the other tire spins in the opposite direction, when put in reverse both back tires spin and when put in drive (while still in the air) both tires spin as well, the sticker confuses me but I'm pretty sure its open diff based off of the tire spin directions, any advice? other than buying a locker hahaha
Old 09-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
You probably have a LSD diff with a worn out clutch pack.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
You probably have a LSD diff with a worn out clutch pack.
How does that get worn out? Idk if it matter but it's an automatic with only 57k miles
Old 09-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda View Post
How does that get worn out? Idk if it matter but it's an automatic with only 57k miles
It would certainly be premature wear at that milage, but thats certainly possible. Limited slip is just that, limited. Which means the clutch pack limits the differential action, it does not lock it completely like a locker. If someone was stuck with one wheel with good traction, the other very poor traction, it will still slip. Hammering the throttle in a situation like that will very quicly end the clutch pack's life. Did you recently get this truck?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
lipster will become famous soon enoughlipster will become famous soon enough
Name: Mike
lipster's Tacoma Gallery
running 2 different sized tires (like one old, one new) will wear it out as well.
Just drive it.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The lifted tire trick doesn't work on all LSDs. If you have the sicker you have LSD. Also LSDs can one tire fire at times hence limited in the name.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
Go Pro Junkie

Had the truck for over 40k miles, all the tires were put on at the same time, don't think I've worn anything out, 85% of my driving in highway
Old 09-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Step on it when you are making a turn onto a street. You'll know. The inside tire will break loose every time and you'll likely fishtail. One thing I hate about mine. Wet roads are the worst. It annoys me even more because nine times out of ten my BFG's will bark a little and cause undue attention, even though I'm not really stepping on the gas.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
Brandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2W271,2MUNS, 2BW, 8AF (Enough Said)
Brandon H's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brandon H Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon H
Its normal. Drive it. Make sure when it comes time for an oil change that you use a gear oil with a friction modifier (AKA LSD Oil) only.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
Go Pro Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Step on it when you are making a turn onto a street. You'll know. The inside tire will break loose every time and you'll likely fishtail. One thing I hate about mine. Wet roads are the worst. It annoys me even more because nine times out of ten my BFG's will bark a little and cause undue attention, even though I'm not really stepping on the gas.
I definitely know what you're talking about...
Old 09-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
Go Pro Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
Locker time
this
Old 09-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #14
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Meh. I would vouch against it. Unless you're hardcore wheeling.... a little education on how to use a LSD does wonders. I've gone plenty of places with mine.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Meh. I would vouch against it. Unless you're hardcore wheeling.... a little education on how to use a LSD does wonders. I've gone plenty of places with mine.
He's A PreRunner, so A locker would give him more help than an LSD would for his setup.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #16
Brandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2W271,2MUNS, 2BW, 8AF (Enough Said)
Brandon H's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brandon H Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon H
Quote:

This is coming from the guy whose signature says lockers are for pussies? LOL
Old 09-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote: