1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD "True Cold Air Intake" opinions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Arcticfox, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Sep 9, 2012 at 3:11 PM
    Arcticfox

Arcticfox [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD off road
    3" Low Range Off Road spacer kit, wheels and tires, Magnaflow muffler, 10% front window tint, 6000K HID headlights
    hey guys. i went to a small expo of toyotas and suzukis put on by Low Range Off Road this weekend-it was so cool! tons of sweet rigs! anyway i ran into a guy who had URD's True Cold Air Intake system on his 2012 tacoma. He said he liked it, didnt feel too much of a power gain and that when he took it through a car wash that a lot of moisture would get in the system and cause the o2 sensors to get wet and cause misfires til they dried off and such-even though he had their cover that is supposed to be pretty water repellent. My question is this. Who has the same system from URD, and whats a good way to stop that from happening. They have a metal shroud that you can buy that they recommend you purchase when installing it with an aftermarket grille such as a satoshi grille to prevent moisture intake. does it work well? so many questions, but i hope that makes sense. I like the system they have because it makes more sense than getting just a K&N or whatever because it puts the filter right behind the grille. Thanks!!

2. Sep 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    get the are stage 2si, much better design IIRC

3. Sep 9, 2012 at 3:20 PM
    Arcticfox

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD off road
    3" Low Range Off Road spacer kit, wheels and tires, Magnaflow muffler, 10% front window tint, 6000K HID headlights
    cool. its not too much more either. what filter did you get with it? hows the sound? did you feel a power gain?

4. Sep 9, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    I have the dry flow filter, I did it with long tube headers and urd maf calibrator and felt top end gains. And I think it sounds great

5. Sep 9, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    Arcticfox

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD off road
    ah that explains a lot wolfpack. thanks. yeah i dont do any big water crossing. im more into dirt roads and minor rock climbing. but thanks for that. the guy i was talking to who already had it said that the biggetst problem he had with the MAF sensor (i just forgot what he said and just made it up in my head that he said an O2 sensor ha) getting wet was when he went through automatic car washes-particularly ones with the automatic dryers in them. I use my truck a lot and it gets dirty often and nothing satisfys me more than getting it clean...which makes me nervous if im going to be taking it though the car wash 5-8 times a month. but he did say that in normal driving regardless of weather it does fine- and he does have the protective sleeve on it. I was thinking i was going to get the URD one for sure, but i like knowing my options

6. Sep 9, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Well spoken sir.

For the OP, look in this thread. http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50051

Has a comparison of the URD TCAI against stock. 2nd from last dyno graph.

Products Discussed in

To Top