Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

URD "True Cold Air Intake" opinions

Old 09-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Arcticfox is on a distinguished road

Arcticfox's Tacoma Gallery
URD "True Cold Air Intake" opinions

hey guys. i went to a small expo of toyotas and suzukis put on by Low Range Off Road this weekend-it was so cool! tons of sweet rigs! anyway i ran into a guy who had URD's True Cold Air Intake system on his 2012 tacoma. He said he liked it, didnt feel too much of a power gain and that when he took it through a car wash that a lot of moisture would get in the system and cause the o2 sensors to get wet and cause misfires til they dried off and such-even though he had their cover that is supposed to be pretty water repellent. My question is this. Who has the same system from URD, and whats a good way to stop that from happening. They have a metal shroud that you can buy that they recommend you purchase when installing it with an aftermarket grille such as a satoshi grille to prevent moisture intake. does it work well? so many questions, but i hope that makes sense. I like the system they have because it makes more sense than getting just a K&N or whatever because it puts the filter right behind the grille. Thanks!!
Old 09-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
get the are stage 2si, much better design IIRC
Old 09-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #3

cool. its not too much more either. what filter did you get with it? hows the sound? did you feel a power gain?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
I have the dry flow filter, I did it with long tube headers and urd maf calibrator and felt top end gains. And I think it sounds great
Old 09-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #5

ah that explains a lot wolfpack. thanks. yeah i dont do any big water crossing. im more into dirt roads and minor rock climbing. but thanks for that. the guy i was talking to who already had it said that the biggetst problem he had with the MAF sensor (i just forgot what he said and just made it up in my head that he said an O2 sensor ha) getting wet was when he went through automatic car washes-particularly ones with the automatic dryers in them. I use my truck a lot and it gets dirty often and nothing satisfys me more than getting it clean...which makes me nervous if im going to be taking it though the car wash 5-8 times a month. but he did say that in normal driving regardless of weather it does fine- and he does have the protective sleeve on it. I was thinking i was going to get the URD one for sure, but i like knowing my options
Old 09-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
if u do water crossings, DO NOT buy a URD.

otherwise, if u want the URD, then buy the steel shield to avoid the buffeting issue manuals have with mesh grills (if u have a manual), and when its pouring outside, make sure to have a hydrophobic sock around the filter (available through URD also).

The O2 sensors DO NOT get wet.......its the MAF sensor. U must use a hydrophobic sock with a mesh grill WHILE UNDER HIGH ENGINE LOADS in a DOWNPOUR with that grill....Normal driving, the shield is usually enough for me with a mesh grill....WOT, freeway onramps (with generous right foot) can draw in so much pressure, that it will bring in water droplets, and the MAF sensor is so sensitive it will cause stumbling, which goes away quickly.

check xr-underground if u want opinions from people who dont ford through streams. They do just fine in rain, snow, and normal driving.

the AFE stage2 Si is NOT a better design.............its a different design, and allows u to cross somewhat higher water than the URD intake.

Ive had both............the URD is hands down my favorite. The AFE is too loud inside IMHO. The URD is loud outside, but not as annoying inside.

they both have their places......neither is "better" than the other.....just better "suited" for certain driving.
Well spoken sir.

For the OP, look in this thread. http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=50051

Has a comparison of the URD TCAI against stock. 2nd from last dyno graph.