Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anybody's mileage drop when its time for a oil change

Old 09-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
chastain90 is on a distinguished road

Name: Zach
chastain90's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody's mileage drop when its time for a oil change

I was driving down the interstate and went 30 miles on a 1/4 tank. I was kinda shocked it usually goes farther than that. Its time for a oil change jist wondered if that happens to anybody else?
Old 09-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
hakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
hakabo's Tacoma Gallery
now that you mention it

i think i have noticed that too. no numbers to back it up though... i get crappy mileage anyway, my truck also doubles as a papa johns delivery vehicle 3-4 nights a week
Old 09-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I suppose that is possible but it would be very minimal I would think. I know people claim to get better mpg from using synthetic oil. Again, maybe but very minimal imo. I've switched to synthetic on a couple of vehicle's and didn't see any change so I wouldn't think oil breaking down would cause enough to be noticeable. That's just my 2 cents.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Track your mileage using Fuelly or on a spreadsheet.

You can't go by the gauge... it's a gauge, not a meter, and 1/4 tank at the top is not 1/4 tank at the bottom. Hell, when my low fuel light is on and the needle is tickling "E", I still have 4 gallons left... that's almost 1/4 tank.

Fuel economy does not change due to differences in the oil (or the computer) during the 5000 miles.
The "change oil" light is simply a timer that goes off at 5000 miles. The computer doesn't know when or if you change your oil.

Driving conditions make a HUGE difference in economy. I can blow a perfectly good 200-mile tank from an average of 25.5 down to 24 with only 30 miles of shopping with the wife. Stop and go city driving is a killer.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I've been driving alot on the interstate lately and the fuel economy IS excellent (drove 3/4 plus across New York State on barely 1/4 tank of gas) I'm impressed; around town not so much.

At Highway speeds and in the right speed range (5th) with the DT header this little 4 banger ( I think power to weight helps, as well) is blowing away the Fords and Dodges (in my opinion) I'm coming across out there

3 years into ownership of this truck; zero problems and (unbelievably!) no regrets.

Oil? Oh ya, change it. It helps. I like the synthetic because is doesn't build up sludge.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
I find my OR gets horrible mileage compared to my plain PreRunner I had before. Can't be the tries waste 70+ miles, do they?