Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Which Winch For Undercover Hidden Winch Mount?

Old 09-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Which Winch For Undercover Hidden Winch Mount?

For all of you guys that have the Undercover Hidden Winch Mount system on their 2nd gen Tacoma, could you please post exactly what model winch you ended up using? This mount is on my short list but would like to get an idea of all of the different winches people are running with it.....

Thanks in advance
Old 09-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
nobody?

Old 09-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
trailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Michael
trailotter's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Warn VR8000-S in mine, fits great. Haven't used it yet.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
bjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to behold

Name: Brian
bjasper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailotter View Post

Thats sick, it looks really natural
Old 09-10-2012, 04:58 AM   #5
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 09-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
Tioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Richard
Tioloco's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the Smittybilt XRC8... don't have my mount yet, it's supposed to ship today. According to UWMS it's a pretty common winch for use with their mount.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
xpocad has a spectacular aura aboutxpocad has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bryan
xpocad's Tacoma Gallery
Think it will fit with an avid light bar and a TRD skid plate on a 2012?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
That setup looks sweet! Did you add the D loops separately or are they part of the winch mount system too?

Quote:
I have the Warn VR8000-S in mine, fits great. Haven't used it yet.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
trailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of lighttrailotter is a glorious beacon of light
A local welder supplied the 1" barstock, shaped them and welded them on for $75. He cut holes in front of the mount to integrate them into the bumper.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #13
Tioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTioloco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Tioloco's Tacoma Gallery
That's an issue that I'll be exploring on Sunday when I install mine. Normally you can reach it by opening the hood and reaching down between the grill and radiator, but I already have the BAMF light bar installed which prohibits access that way.

It may be possible to reach thru the lower part of the grill (2012), I'm not sure yet, but I have a Grillcraft mesh grill on order which will definitely block that route of access, so some innovation is in order.

With the XRC8 you can 'clock' the transmission to move the clutch lever to a different location, so that may be an option. I am considering fabricating some sort of extension linkage to reach the clutch. I'm definitely off the charts here.

Other options are giving up the light bar or the mesh grill, of which I don't really want to do either... to be continued.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
Tioloco's Tacoma Gallery
So, the answer is yes, I can reach the clutch lever with the hood open, even with the light bar in place. It's a tight fit, bit no bloodshed
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #17
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A local welder supplied the 1" barstock, shaped them and welded them on for $75. He cut holes in front of the mount to integrate them into the bumper.

Love this idea an look! Love the factory look!
Tioloco's "Yak Runner" has this same look, really cool and hopefully ill join the club someday!

Just saw Tioloco's above post. Haha
Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
bwanamukubwa is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
bwanamukubwa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOconvert2012 View Post
Ok sweet thanks!! I'm going this route cuz I love the clean factory look. Any idk if it fits with avid light bar/grill guard
Did you find out if this fits with the Avid light bar?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #20
Selling my customized hidden mount

I live in Missouri in a semi-rural area = deer country. I hit a deer within a month of installing the hidden mount (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-hit-deer.html), so I decided I needed more critter protection and replaced it with a full bumper from Tactical Armor. So... I'll sell you the customized mount for $300 + shipping if you're interested. I'm keeping the winch, but I'll toss in the valance with the cuts for the shackle mounts; you may want to use your own as a couple of tabs were snapped off by the ruminant, but at worst it's a guide.