View Poll Results: Do you rotate in your spare
I rotate in my spare 39 9.54%
I do not rotate in my spare, non-stock tires 163 39.85%
I do not rotate in my spare, stock tires, full size spare 195 47.68%
I do not rotate in my spare, stock tires, no full size spare 12 2.93%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Do you even carry it anymore??
Yeah, haha.
I need to take it out from under there and find a spare that's the same size, then figure out how to fit it back under if possible.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #22
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Da_da View Post
Nope, I do not rotate in my spare. BTW, my stock spare IS equipped with a TPMS. It's annoying whenever I have to air it up in order to extinguish the low tire pressure light on the dash.
Yeah, I can see how annoying it must be to have a spare with air in it....

I rotate my spare in. But then I got a matching rim by stealing the spare from my wife's 4runner.

So, I guess my advice is to marry a woman who has a spare matching rim to your truck and steal it.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #23
bcm79 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
bcm79's Tacoma Gallery
I rotate the spare in since I have a matching rim and spare after upgrading to 33's. Extends the length of time between sets and keeps things matched up if I decide to change tire brands, which I did the last time.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #26
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I don't and won't rotate in a spare. I don't feel like having to buy 5 tires each time. Just keep a full-sized spare on my truck, and rotate the 4 on the road. Then just buy 4 when those wear out.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #28
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
I do not because my spare is to small.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #29
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I don't and won't rotate in a spare. I don't feel like having to buy 5 tires each time. Just keep a full-sized spare on my truck, and rotate the 4 on the road. Then just buy 4 when those wear out.
That makes sense, but if you rotated 5 tires wouldn't the tires wear 25% slower meaning longer time before you needed to purchase. Thinking it would all even out cost-wise in the end.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #30
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggynagy View Post
That makes sense, but if you rotated 5 tires wouldn't the tires wear 25% slower meaning longer time before you needed to purchase. Thinking it would all even out cost-wise in the end.
Well that all depends on how often and long you are running on your spare. I have had a full sized spare last me over 6 years because it never was on the road for more than a few hundred miles at a time. I only had to buy 4 tires at a time, and the only reason I replaced my spare after the 6 years was because I went from 31 inch tires to 33 inch.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #31
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns View Post
I do not because my spare is to small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror
considering my spare is three inches smaller than the rest of my tires, nah.
Not interested enough to start a poll, but I'm curious how many people with 33-35 inch tires only have the stock small spare as a backup.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #32
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of

Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
and you don't have a 10 year old spare - by rotating you keep all the rubber fresh
Old 09-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #33
OutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
OutbackHack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Quote:
^^ This. It's not like you're going to wear out 5 tires in the same time you would have otherwise worn out 4.

But the biggest advantage to me is that when it comes time to buy new tires I'm not locked into getting the same ones I had before or having a mismatched spare. I can get 5 matching brand/type/size of tire so that my spare is always identical and if need be I could drive on it just as I would one of my "regular" wheels.

Part of my mindset is coming from Subaru/AWD world where tires of even slightly differing sizes could wreck your AWD system. But even with the Tacoma I wouldn't want to have to limp home on a mismatched set of wheels.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #34
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Not interested enough to start a poll, but I'm curious how many people with 33-35 inch tires only have the stock small spare as a backup.
IDK about TW, but around Southern Louisiana...I see a shit ton of folks whose Jeeps have a tiny ass stock spare on the back and some beat up mudders underneath it.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #35
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #36
ASE Master Tech

I guess it is just personal preference, but since my spare was always a full size, I didn't worry if my new set of 4 didn't match the spare, since it only saw road time when I had a flat. As for cost, I think it cost me less to buy 4 tires at a time, replacing the set each year, rather than rotate 5 and buy a set of 5 every year and maybe 2 months? I used to average close to 70k miles a year on my vehicles over the years. I got lots of road time. Again, as the poll suggests, it is a personal preference to some.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #37
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
I would say alot! prob more than you would think. I'll admit my first set of tires I only bought 4, this time i decided to go for 6. So I had the proper full size spare
Old 09-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #38
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 09-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #40
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, and no. I bought a fifth wheel and tire so I do rotate that one in, but I also still have the steel rim spare underneath the truck that I do not. All 6 of my tires are the same size so if I happened to get one flat, I still have a fullsize spare, just not on a matching rim.