View Poll Results: Do you rotate in your spare
I rotate in my spare 39 9.56%
I do not rotate in my spare, non-stock tires 162 39.71%
I do not rotate in my spare, stock tires, full size spare 195 47.79%
I do not rotate in my spare, stock tires, no full size spare 12 2.94%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #42
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, I absolutely do a 5-tire rotation. All aftermarket matching wheels/tires. Took my stock rim in and had a taller tire tossed on it as well so I can carry it as a 2nd spare when heading way out in the toolies-

Old 09-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #45
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked 2007 View Post
I use the G pattern pictured below.

Same here.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #46
Gotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to behold

Gotcha88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCUT View Post
Shitty steel rim. ef that crap.
yeah wtf? unless you have all aftermarket stuff who would do that?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #47
PaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PaintDrinkingPete's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbackHack View Post
^^ This. It's not like you're going to wear out 5 tires in the same time you would have otherwise worn out 4.

But the biggest advantage to me is that when it comes time to buy new tires I'm not locked into getting the same ones I had before or having a mismatched spare. I can get 5 matching brand/type/size of tire so that my spare is always identical and if need be I could drive on it just as I would one of my "regular" wheels.

Part of my mindset is coming from Subaru/AWD world where tires of even slightly differing sizes could wreck your AWD system. But even with the Tacoma I wouldn't want to have to limp home on a mismatched set of wheels.
Your argument is valid, but it's personal preference I guess. I prefer not to rotate the spare out, but do keep it the same size as the others. If I get a flat, I'm not too concerned about the mismatch, because I'm not going to be riding on it that long...just needs to serve it's purpose. If I wanted to rotate the spare, I'd have to get a matching wheel for it...which I also don't feel like spending money on something that sits under my truck all the time.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #49
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Nope my, spare is yellow and would look ugly
Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #50
Tusk is on a distinguished road
Tusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but why not just rotate everything clockwise?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #51
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I do 5 tires rotation as I have a full size spare with matching rim.
I'll be starting that with my next set of tires. My previous set of wheels was a group of four with a cheap steelie wheel on the spare (still fullsize). I now have a matching set of five, so they'll all go through rotation in the future.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #52
TacomaChris has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaChris has a spectacular aura about

TacomaChris's Tacoma Gallery
I have a full size matching spare rim and tire tire so yes...I rotate it in
Old 09-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #53
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
I don't rotate in my spare. Not until a tire blows, haha.

Random Laugh: I remember when I had my 1990 Mustang, and blew my front left tire- I had that car on 205-65-R14's, and the spare was a completely different size. Made for a lumpy and lop-sided ride until I could afford a "new" *cough-cough- pick'n'pull* tire. xD
Old 09-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #54
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
I have a matching spare which does have TPMS so I rotate it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbackHack View Post
But the biggest advantage to me is that when it comes time to buy new tires I'm not locked into getting the same ones I had before or having a mismatched spare. I can get 5 matching brand/type/size of tire so that my spare is always identical and if need be I could drive on it just as I would one of my "regular" wheels.
This.

Quote:

I use "G" as well.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #55
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
i have a tpms in my spare tire...
Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #57
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question but why not just rotate everything clockwise?
Rotating clockwise means the driver's front tire now moves to the passenger's front position. The front tires are expected to wear less evenly than the rears due to continuous camber and toe changes as the wheel articulates. Moving a front tire to the opposite side may cause steering to behave strangely, and one tire to wear faster than the other four.

The rotation patterns in the service manual always move the front wheels to the rear.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #58
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Rotating clockwise means the driver's front tire now moves to the passenger's front position. The front tires are expected to wear less evenly than the rears due to constant camber and toe changes as the wheel articulates. (Often an alignment setup that gives best steering feel and lateral grip will not give the best tire wear.)

Both the 4-wheel and 5-wheel rotation patterns in the service manual move the front wheels to the rear, never from one front position to another front position.
bingo.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #59
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1youluv2hate View Post
Nope my, spare is yellow and would look ugly
Why is it yellow? Is it a full size spare? Never seen this...
Old 09-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #60
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Only time I ever did that was with my old work truck (not a daily driver) when I got to point of buying used tires for it just to get by till it died or sold.

No concerns about matching. Had an almost new spare still so I bought 3 and had them remount spare on the 4th wheel.