Do you rotate in your spare?

View Poll Results: Do you rotate in your spare
I rotate in my spare 39 9.63%
I do not rotate in my spare, non-stock tires 162 40.00%
I do not rotate in my spare, stock tires, full size spare 192 47.41%
I do not rotate in my spare, stock tires, no full size spare 12 2.96%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #101
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbackHack View Post
285 only tells us the tire width, diameter is the more important factor. This would be the middle number in your tire size:

IE: 285/X/17 or 265/X/16 - find X.
285 is some combination of radius and width. The overall daimeter = ((285*.70*2)/25.4)+16. Or 31.7".
Old 05-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #102
Dogs & cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Calculating Approximate Tire Dimensions

Or just use one of the many tire size calculators. The Spec tabs on TireRack are also useful.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #103
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggynagy View Post
Interesting, didn't know the LSD would be sensitive enough to pick up such minor differences in tire circumference but it does kinda make sense as it would cause them to spin at a different rate.
Owner's Manual recommendation is attached below with no mention of spare; had this in an earlier post but it somehow got lost in the fray.
If I have a flat on the rear and have to travel a long distance I will put the spare on the front. Might be more trouble but could save you diff. I do not have to worry about it for a while since I just bought a new one. I sure wish Toyota would but 265/75s on the Baja. O well I guess I just have to wait for the 70s to wear out. If the tires I my trade had not been have worn I would have swapped.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #104
Fletch has a spectacular aura aboutFletch has a spectacular aura aboutFletch has a spectacular aura about
Name: FB The Christian Fish Report
Fletch's Tacoma Gallery
no rotaty. would never. life is too busy for such nonsense.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #106
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have my spare underneath, but its on steel for now.
So no.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #107
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
I rotate mine in. It's a little easier to get to than the stock location. It's heavy so a second set of hands makes it easier.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:50 AM   #108

In the past I have bought 3 matching tires and rotated it in that way. I have also upgraded tires and bought matching spare which I would rotate in. I do not any longer because my spare is a different tire type.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #109
dunwur is on a distinguished road
dunwur's Tacoma Gallery
I can't even lower the spare on my 2011 Taco . The jack handle that came with the truck ( new ) doesn't engage to anything .Can't see a damn thing in there to see what is wrong . Will let CAA take care of any flats .
Old 09-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #110
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The end of the handle is supposed to slide into a cup/slot. If everything is working right, it's not that hard to change yourself. If you can't get it working, stop by a dealership and have them take a look at it, especially if it's still under warranty. CAA is nice, but if there's something wrong with the spare mechanism, you could still have a problem. CAA relies on using your spare.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #111
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwur View Post
I can't even lower the spare on my 2011 Taco . The jack handle that came with the truck ( new ) doesn't engage to anything .Can't see a damn thing in there to see what is wrong . Will let CAA take care of any flats .
Have you done the spare tire pipe mod? Without this or a flashlight, I can never tell if I get it in right for the tire to lower.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ml#post3571643
Old 09-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #112
4508js is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: K-9 / Patrol
4508js's Tacoma Gallery
My spare wheel and tire matches the rest so I will rotate it in when it comes time
Old 01-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #113
MidnightRebel07 is a jewel in the roughMidnightRebel07 is a jewel in the roughMidnightRebel07 is a jewel in the rough
MidnightRebel07's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to rotate my spare, I have always done so on all of my vehicles. However I can't rotate my spare because Toyota in their infinite wisdom put BFG AT's on the truck but forgot the spare is a non matching BFG Rugged Trail.

I'll run it if I get a flat but if not than it'll get put aside. When I build a tire rack I'll get a matching 16" Baja silver simulated beadlock to have as a matching spare wheel with a matching spare tire.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #114
Osugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Osugoose's Tacoma Gallery
I bought an alloy and rotate my spare. Its the only way I could justify buying a matching spare when I changed tire sizes. Warning: the 17 sport alloys changed sometime in 08??? they look identical, but the newer center caps do not fit. Had to go to the old style caps, they fit just fine on both.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #115
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does not match the rest of the wheels and is designated temp use only so if I want to rotate it I would have to dismount the tire, not worth it and it gets new tires in the spring and they won't be Dunlop's.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Mine does not match the rest of the wheels and is designated temp use only so if I want to rotate it I would have to dismount the tire, not worth it and it gets new tires in the spring and they won't be Dunlop's.
I suspect that the reason the spares are designated for temporary use is due to the lack of a TPMS sensor. The steel wheel of the spare that came with my MY2012 looks perfectly suitable for long term use, as does the BFG Rugged Trail tire that's identical to the four on the ground.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #117
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I suspect that the reason the spares are designated for temporary use is due to the lack of a TPMS sensor. The steel wheel of the spare that came with my MY2012 looks perfectly suitable for long term use, as does the BFG Rugged Trail tire that's identical to the four on the ground.

2006 came with a 5th TPMS sensor....
Old 01-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
2006 came with a 5th TPMS sensor....
I know the older ones did. Does that MY2006 spare have "Temporary Use" prominently displayed on it? My MY2012 does, and it lacks a TPMS sensor.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:52 AM   #120
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I know the older ones did. Does that MY2006 spare have "Temporary Use" prominently displayed on it? My MY2012 does, and it lacks a TPMS sensor.
My '08 does not, but the spare rim does not match the other 4, even though I have a steel-wheeled 5-lug.