1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear brake wear

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by harleyg, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Sep 13, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    harleyg

harleyg [OP] Landscape Photographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Harley
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner AC 2.7 Leer 180
    I just took my 2011 PreRunner into the dealer for a free oil change at 30k. They did the oil change and the inspection. Per the inspection report, the front brakes got a check in the green box, meaning there was plenty of pad remaining. However the rear drums got a check in the yellow box, indicating they are worn and will fairly soon be needing replacement.

I was under the impression the rears should last a whole lot longer than the fronts. Wrong?

The truck has had a slight squeak when braking, mostly just before I come to complete stop. That has been going on since about 7k or so. It seems that is not that unusual in these trucks. I don't use the parking brake all that often (auto tranny) and of course never drive with it on.

BTW, the vast majority of my mileage has been freeway, with a little around town and some mountain driving thrown in.

Any thoughts?

2. Sep 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    Might need to check the adjustment of the brake porportion valve. You haven't lowered the truck have you? BTW, you should use the parking brake because that is what adjusts the reak brakes. Also, maybe you should pop the drums off just to verify what the dealer is telling you. Maybe they made a mistake.

3. Sep 13, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    There is no brake proportioning valve on 2nd gens.

4. Sep 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Complete BS. There is no way the rear brakes are worn before the front pads. Unless there is a mechanical problem causing the rear brakes to drag when driving. Esp true if the majority of your driving is highway.

I have never even had to replace the front brakes in a car or truck under 75 - 80K miles.

5. Sep 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    im at 90k miles and still have half my front pads and idk about the rears but no issues

Products Discussed in

To Top