Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Center Console Lock ??

Old 09-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Av8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Av8er's Tacoma Gallery
Center Console Lock ??

Anybody been able to find the 1/2" cam lock used in the "center console lock mod tutorial"?? I went to Lowes, HD, and checked Ace online and no dice. They only have the 'mailbox" versions which you can't remove the key from.

Anybody found one anywhere else that is similar to the 1/2" thickness one used by ilovetaco's??
Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Grundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Grundletaint's Tacoma Gallery
I guarantee you home depot has them. I just picked some up for my bed cubbies. There were dozens in many different sizes in the door knobs/locks section.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Av8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Av8er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundletaint View Post
I guarantee you home depot has them. I just picked some up for my bed cubbies. There were dozens in many different sizes in the door knobs/locks section.
Yea the only ones I could find at my "closest" lowes on the west side of Houston only had 3 left and they were gold colored and not the right size. My other Lowes usually has a better selection so I'm gonna try that tomorrow.

Also just stumbled across one at HD which is 5/8" but it says in the directions that it "will fit 1/2" thick mounting material. May just try that if I don't find one at Lowes. I'm sure I can get it to work either way. Just want to save an extra trip back to the stores if possible.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Any motorhome store will have them as well, they use them for locking outside compartment doors
Old 09-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #6

Av8er's Tacoma Gallery
Roger that, thanks guys. I think Lowes has changed brands a few times since the original "tutorial" was written. Either way looks like HD will have one that will work or I'll check out an RV store. Thanks for chiming in fella's.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #7

Av8er's Tacoma Gallery
Done:

Old 03-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
DSB4UA is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
DSB4UA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
Roger that, thanks guys. I think Lowes has changed brands a few times since the original "tutorial" was written. Either way looks like HD will have one that will work or I'll check out an RV store. Thanks for chiming in fella's.
Can someone post the link to the original tutorial, or a diff tutorial? Was thinking about doing this myself...

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Scratch that, found it on my own!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, after just having my truck broken into...and the crooks got nothing lol...I don't really keep anything important enough to lock up in the truck. Anything I'd be severely worried about losing, I just take with me.

Guaranteed, if i had this lock mod on my truck, I'd have opened my door to a broken center console.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
Done:

That's pretty cool. What lock did you end up going with. I never understood why the tacoma never had a factory locking glove box.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
That's pretty cool. What lock did you end up going with. I never understood why the tacoma never had a factory locking glove box.
it's something every car should have, but most don't...i don't understand it
Old 03-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #12
byrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud of

Name: David
byrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post
Honestly, after just having my truck broken into...and the crooks got nothing lol...I don't really keep anything important enough to lock up in the truck. Anything I'd be severely worried about losing, I just take with me.

Guaranteed, if i had this lock mod on my truck, I'd have opened my door to a broken center console.
I agree, I only keep fuses, a bag of dog treats for my dogs, a bunch of napkins for blowing my nose and a pair of cheap gloves. Nothing that can't be easily replaced. Then again I haven't had a vehicle broken into in about 20 yrs. After that 1st time you learn not to leave anything of value in it unless your parked in your attached garage.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #13

Av8er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry for the delayed response. You know I don't recall the brand that I finally found. It was the one from the big box store. (lowes or home depot) that was re-branded to a new name.

Either way you can probably find the same deal at most home supplies stores or walmart, etc.

The only change I may do is to remove it and paint it black to match the interior better and not "stand out" so much. Other than that I use it all the time. Albeit not with expensive stuff stored in there but still things I don't want in sight of thieves.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
Nice mod, can the lock be put in from the front of the console?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai38` View Post
Nice mod, can the lock be put in from the front of the console?
No. It needs to be placed so as to block the button to open the console lid.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #16
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No. It needs to be placed so as to block the button to open the console lid.
DUH! I didn't think my question thru, that makes sense, Thanks.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #17
Havik is on a distinguished road

Name: Derrick
Havik's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a link to the tutorial? I would like to do this too? Thanks.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24 View Post
it's something every car should have, but most don't...i don't understand it
when dashboards and glove box doors were made of steel...locks made sence. but a plastic dash w/ a plastic glove box door with a lock is useless.

also, door lock security has improved greatly since the days of steel dashboards.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #19
scottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 1BCT, 101 ABN DIV
Name: Scott
scottw1's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havik View Post
Do you have a link to the tutorial? I would like to do this too? Thanks.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...heap-mods.html

Use the advanced search function. Pretty easy to find.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #20

Av8er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
when dashboards and glove box doors were made of steel...locks made sence. but a plastic dash w/ a plastic glove box door with a lock is useless.

also, door lock security has improved greatly since the days of steel dashboards.
Not so useless when you have a 2.5 yr old that likes to grab everything in your truck and "hide" it somewhere else.

These days if a thief wants to get in, the good ones at least, WILL get in. The only thing I can thing of that might deter him or limit his ability to get stuff is the armored console boxes that are pricey.

For me it was just another fun easy mod to do and it keeps my kid away from my firestone air bags air pressure checker which lights up led blue.