1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeak when releasing brakes

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LUSETACO, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Sep 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO [OP] Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    I have a squeak when releasing my brake pedal. Not the pedal itself, it seems to be coming from outside the truck somewhere. I haven't been able to narrow down where it's coming from as it just started a couple weeks ago. Anyone have any ideas where to start?

2. Sep 13, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Either the pins in the front that the pads ride on or the rub points in the rears between the back plate and shoes.

More likely the front pads.

Clean and lube the pins and the rub points on the rear back plate.

Be careful and not get any on the pads or shoes.

3. Sep 13, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    pretty sure your talking about a release grunt? is it more of a squeak or grunt type noise?

Its pretty common in automatic vehicles. Has the weather around you been a little humid/lots of moisture? Could just be minor rust on the rotors if the grunt/squeal goes away once you start driving after a few brake applications.

4. Sep 13, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO [OP] Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Kind of a squeaky groaning noise if that makes sense. Best way I can describe it is a rusty swingset squeak. I'm at almost 60,000 miles so I may be at the point where I need some brake work.

5. Sep 13, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    groaning would be classified in my opinion as a release grunt.

it looks as though you are a standard trans not auto, correct?

go out and take a look at the pad material from within the wheel spokes, take a quick glance and see how much pad material is left. could just be needing new pads and a rotor turn down.

I have 90k miles on my original brakes with plenty of life left in them, consider myself pretty lucky lol

Products Discussed in

To Top