LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Destroyed my stock skid, vote on what you think I should replace it with!

View Poll Results: Which after market skid do you recommend?
BudBuilt 13 21.67%
All-pro 10 16.67%
ATO 18 30.00%
Relentless 12 20.00%
Metalmiller 1 1.67%
What's a skid? 6 10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #21
Dogs & cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
Wow, I really appreciate everyones responses.. I think it will come down to cost mostly for me. However, a few of you have brought up a couple of good points.
One is weight. For the wheeling I am doing now, I can get away with a 3/16. However, I would like the MAX coverage- and it sounds like relentless is the one with the widest and most coverage. And I really like how his kind of protect the LCA bolts because yesterday, my buddy scraped both of his.
However, eventually if the funds present themselves, I would like to add on to the armor collection down there... This may sound like a dumb question but would the Relentless skid be "compatible" with future armor?

It does suck though.. because the rest of the day while I was driving I'm thinking, "ok I can do $300 bucks right now. I new I would get a better skid after destroying this one." So when I get back to my apartment my buddy Kevin and I are on the ground looking at it and I stand back up- and my iphone goes flying from my pocket and shatters on the ground. -awesome. So now I get glass shards in my hands and face whenever I use my phone, and I'll have to get a new one!
If you like Relentless, go for it. All of Eric's products are well reviewed, and if he doesn't make a skid plate you want down the road, either he or someone else will probably know if his IFS ties in well with another brand. FWIW, BudBuilt also makes a 1/4" IFS, and I'll bet most of the manufacturers will work with 3/16" or 1/4".

You didn't have to destroy your current iPhone to get a new one! Sorry to hear about that. You might try covering the screen with a single layer of clear packing tape to hold it together until you can replace it. Not sure how that'll affect the touch sensitivity, but it's pretty well frakked at this point anyway, right?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #22
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
i think to make this thread good and proper we need a picture of the crushed skidplate
Old 09-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #23
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
i think to make this thread good and proper we need a picture of the crushed skidplate
Excellent idea! That could be very helpful when big slabs of aluminum show up on my porch.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #24
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Eric's 3/16 IFS lines up with the rest of his skids. Can't speak for skids from others though.

I would say that most skids IFS of different manufacturers are going to be compatible with mid and t-case, if you bend plates to the proper angles to fit and drill the holes.

I gather that not all of the guys probably use the same bolt pattern or angle for the back "wing" off the ifs skid. I had to bend the one I made with a floor jack and a GIANT pipe wrench and drill holes to get eric's mid to bolt up to it.

I think that you could probably with light modification (bending and drilling) make any ifs skid bolt to whatever mid. I do think though with the differences in mid and t-case that you'll need to run the same manufacturer of those. No mixing and matching mid and t-case.

I'm not sure of the exact widths of all skids either. I know Eric looked at mine and wanted to make his wider to cover those LCA mounts. Looking at Kevin's his isn't as wide on the bottom. All Pro is similar width to ATO.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #25
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
Wow, I really appreciate everyones responses.. I think it will come down to cost mostly for me. However, a few of you have brought up a couple of good points.
One is weight. For the wheeling I am doing now, I can get away with a 3/16. However, I would like the MAX coverage- and it sounds like relentless is the one with the widest and most coverage. And I really like how his kind of protect the LCA bolts because yesterday, my buddy scraped both of his.
However, eventually if the funds present themselves, I would like to add on to the armor collection down there... This may sound like a dumb question but would the Relentless skid be "compatible" with future armor?

It does suck though.. because the rest of the day while I was driving I'm thinking, "ok I can do $300 bucks right now. I new I would get a better skid after destroying this one." So when I get back to my apartment my buddy Kevin and I are on the ground looking at it and I stand back up- and my iphone goes flying from my pocket and shatters on the ground. -awesome. So now I get glass shards in my hands and face whenever I use my phone, and I'll have to get a new one!
Bummer about the phone! I cringe every time my Razr maxx falls out of my pocket for fear of a shattered screen. So far just nicks in my screen guard, but I replace it every few weeks since it gets so scratched from all the metal dust/chips im around on a daily basis.
When you've got the coin saved again, hit me up for a skid if you decide on mine.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #26

Try an OtterBox with a screen protector. A friend of mine was showing his off one night and claimed it was nigh indestructible. I skipped it off a car hood and it held up.

I was more impressed with that demonstration than my friend. If he didn't learn his lesson after I tested his indestructible flashlight, that's on him.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #27
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
you asked for it!

and i threw in a pic of the phone... it's kind of weird cause its in a mirror, but I think you can figure it out haha

Edit: and i know some of you will notice that the front two screws are out... i just did that, im going to take it off for now so thats why the bolts are missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Destroyed my stock skid, vote on what you think I should replace it with!-photo-1-.jpg   Destroyed my stock skid, vote on what you think I should replace it with!-photo-2-.jpg   Destroyed my stock skid, vote on what you think I should replace it with!-photo-4-.jpg   Destroyed my stock skid, vote on what you think I should replace it with!-photo-5-.jpg   Destroyed my stock skid, vote on what you think I should replace it with!-photo-3-.jpg  

Old 09-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #28
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
If width is your primary concern, Budbuilt has the highest coverage skid by far. It completely protects the front of the LCA cam bolt:

That said, I still voted ATO because that's the fab shop who's work and attention to detail impress me most. Hence why I went with Armor Tech for EVERYTHING on my truck. I could've gotten similar stuff less expensively by going with group buys or other vendors. I wasn't interested in similar...sometimes the details are the difference.

Really, you should pretty much shop this one by shipping costs.

I WOULD be wary of 3/16s front skid. The front skid has the least clearance, typically, between the back of the skid plate and vital truck parts. It also has the most weight above it with the engine and front drivetrain/suspension. So, to get down to brass tacks, it's at higher risk of deforming from hits and worse things will happen if it does.

I'm a fan of 1/4 front skids. Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
ATO, I can't find the pic now but a guy had 3 wheels off the ground and most of his trucks weight on one of Kevin's skids..... It held up and had only minor scrape on it! ATO ftw and end thread/

You may be talking about my truck during this incident:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/arm...case-skid.html

I was very impressed with how the skid held up. The crossmember was bent upward some as was the skid, but without it I'd have caved in my t-case, driveshaft, and possibly the ass-end of my trasmission housing. I was a little taken aback when I looked under the truck and saw the whole thing was balanced on, essentially, a rock point the size of a basketball. We could tip the truck corner to corner and side to side, It was prefectly (accidentally) balanced on the t-case skid and crossmember.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #29

My advice is to replace/upgrade the IFS skid now and shop around for an exhaust crossover pipe re-route, since you're going to want that done before ordering skids for farther back. I'm in the process of doing that myself.

If you haven't found it yet, here's a Relentless skid plate thread. If you want a response from BudBuilt, I suggest calling them. Lisa was very helpful on the phone, and I exchanged several emails with them once I actually made contact. Before the phone call, I emailed them and got no response for days.

If you don't want to do the re-route, you may want to look (or ask) for a transfer case skid that is flat instead of one with the small bump out for the exhaust. Looks like it'd just get hung up on stuff.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #30
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
My advice is to replace/upgrade the IFS skid now and shop around for an exhaust crossover pipe re-route, since you're going to want that done before ordering skids for farther back. I'm in the process of doing that myself.

If you haven't found it yet, here's a Relentless skid plate thread.

If you don't want to do the re-route, you may want to look (or ask) for a transfer case skid that is flat instead of one with the small bump out for the exhaust. Looks like it'd just get hung up on stuff.

This is good advice. Those t-case skids with the bumps/cutouts for the exhaust crosspipe just make me laugh when I see them. That's asking for this to happen:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...05-tacoma.html

MJP2 crushed in his skid plate housing that was making room for his diff drop, cracked the differential mounting arm, pushed the differential upward into the crossmember and oilpan, bending the first and breaking open the second. Basically, fucked his front end hard.

I'm not a fan of skids with hangup lumps in 'em. Just sayin.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #31

That's exactly the example I was thinking of. Thanks for pointing it out.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know how the Special Forces guys are protecting the Tacomas they're building up stateside for deployment to the Middle East? There might be some lessons learned from their experiences.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #32
Poser Truck

Quote:
Out of curiousity, does anyone know how the Special Forces guys are protecting the Tacomas they're building up stateside for deployment to the Middle East? There might be some lessons learned from their experiences.
Yeah, they're parking them and getting into a humvee when the shit gets truly nasty
Old 09-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Yeah, they're parking them and getting into a humvee when the shit gets truly nasty
"Truly nasty" has a variety of meanings, but I get your point. I'd rather call in an A-10 than hop into a Humvee.

Still, I'd like to know what they're using with their Tacomas and how it's holding up. Military use was a huge boost to civilian offroading and basically started everything post-WWII. There's no reason we can't make use of that knowledge today.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #34
Poser Truck

For sure. IIRC most of the military-use tacomas were stock except for utility mods...things like gun mounts in the bed, sound dampening for the engine, that sort of thing. They were never really intended to leave dirt roads.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #35
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
This is good advice. Those t-case skids with the bumps/cutouts for the exhaust crosspipe just make me laugh when I see them. That's asking for this to happen:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...05-tacoma.html

MJP2 crushed in his skid plate housing that was making room for his diff drop, cracked the differential mounting arm, pushed the differential upward into the crossmember and oilpan, bending the first and breaking open the second. Basically, fucked his front end hard.

I'm not a fan of skids with hangup lumps in 'em. Just sayin.
Those welds failed.

It should also be noted that he races (really) his truck. As in race truck.

It wouldn't be good to hit your crossover drop at those speeds but it should hold together. The welds broke on his. They should have been stronger than the parent metal.

Not asking for that at all.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #36

Buds skids are also a bit different than the rest. You'll need a set basically. The stop/start points are goofy.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #37
Poser Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
It should also be noted that he races (really) his truck. As in race truck.
Pssh. He models it on jackstands, occasionally taking it outside to break it

I stand by my previous position of "rugosities on skid plates are to be avoided where possible".
Old 09-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #38

Quote:
For sure. IIRC most of the military-use tacomas were stock except for utility mods...things like gun mounts in the bed, sound dampening for the engine, that sort of thing. They were never really intended to leave dirt roads.
Interesting. Nothing they'd add would protect them from mines, IEDs, RPGs, or heavy machine gun fire, but I figured they'd add at least some light gauge steel for protection from tossed rocks, brush, or Soviet-era debris.

A Rat Patrol rig would look pretty cool, though.

Those stunt men had to literally get the piss beat out of them.

http://youtu.be/0ZcbifYqpGc?t=45s
Old 09-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #39

Also John, I know I'm not sliding off wet muddy rocks every weekend but I've done my fair share of big rocks out here and I've caved my 3/16 IFS skid a couple times but IMO, for the average guy on here 3/16 is plenty. Even I'm fine with 3/16 I've just had to pound out my skid a few times. I did make that one myself too.

Eventually I'll add some bracing. For most though, 3/16 is more than adequate, IMO.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #40
Poser Truck

Quote:
Interesting. Nothing they'd add would protect them from mines, IEDs, RPGs, or heavy machine gun fire, but I figured they'd add at least some light gauge steel for protection from tossed rocks, brush, or Soviet-era debris.

A Rat Patrol rig would look pretty cool, though.

There's this, not sure how verifiable it is:

http://www.brian894x4.com/MilitaryTacoma.html

Quote:
From Mr. Slim, via email: A lot of the trucks came from Fort Campbell. Some of the mods Including all interior and
exterior lights and door buzzers disconnected along with the radios. Roll cage and mount for an M60 machine gun, WARN
winch, cheap brush guard, and 2 antenna mounts. The 3.4 V-6 engines had no mods. that I know of. One of the coolest
things is that the front lights were changed to infrared for night vision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Also John, I know I'm not sliding off wet muddy rocks every weekend but I've done my fair share of big rocks out here and I've caved my 3/16 IFS skid a couple times but for the average guy on here 3/16 is plenty. Even I'm fine with 3/16 I've just had to pound out my skid a few times. I did make that one myself too.

Eventually I'll add some bracing. For most though, 3/16 is more than adequate.

I'd agree with that, I just figure for an extra $40 or whatever, why not? The buyer's already in it to win it for a few hundred. Just my opinion, certainly not the only one. Plenty of 3/16 skids out there doing just fine I'm sure.