Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Destroyed my stock skid, vote on what you think I should replace it with!

View Poll Results: Which after market skid do you recommend?
BudBuilt 13 21.67%
All-pro 10 16.67%
ATO 18 30.00%
Relentless 12 20.00%
Metalmiller 1 1.67%
What's a skid? 6 10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Destroyed my stock skid, vote on what you think I should replace it with!

Hey all,
Pretty much caved in the stock skid plate wheeling today. Got out and pretty much laughed at what had happened. I mean, that thing is pretty pathetic. That being said, I'll have to get a new one. And now that I've ruined the one on the truck I finally have the justification to do it!

What all do you recommend? I've gone through several of the older threads about this but I don't really see people saying why they prefer one brand over another. It's usually people just saying they like what they have.

Some background: I won't be doing anything crazy or racing across the desert.... I'll just be on some trails in the Sierras (tahoe area) and just kind of crushing it on some rocks.
That being said, I'm not made of money, but my attitude is if I protect $1000+ with $300 now, that's a smart investment.

So vote what you all think is best, and if it isn't up there specify.
Thanks for all your help!
Old 09-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
seric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
seric007's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...kid-plate.html

this.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
^ that one is to replace the decrative aluminum skid. I am assuming, given the choices the OP listed, he is wanting to replace the actual skid that goes down underneath the truck (which is equally decrative but not as shiny).
I have the huge heavy duty ATO skid (70+ pounds). I love it but at the same time, it is most certainly overkill for my truck.... for now, who knows what I might be doing with it in the future.
I think all of those listed would do a good job protecting your truck. You might want to take shipping into consideration.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
ATO, I can't find the pic now but a guy had 3 wheels off the ground and most of his trucks weight on one of Kevin's skids..... It held up and had only minor scrape on it! ATO ftw and end thread/
Old 09-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #6
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
All the ifs skids are pretty similar. Decide on 3/16 or 1/4 and what kind of coverage is the most important to you. Personally I don't mind the coverage of All Pros but some of the others are a little wider.

Then decide if you plan on getting a full set down the road, if you do, you might look at which full sets you like best.

Personally for a full set I'd spring Relentless. Eric makes 1/4 IFS (and 3/16 -- AFAIK ATO only makes 1/4) and the rest is 3/16 (as is ATOs AFAIK) but his mid and t-case are IMO the best out there. Less exposed bolts and with all the angles and bracing on the t-case skid theres no way you're crushing it.

If you're just wanting a 3/16 IFS ONLY I'd go whatever ends up being cheapest. If you're wanting 1/4 well then I'd go Relentless as I think his other mid and t-case are the best out there and that'd give you a good option for upgrading your set.

Might also weigh in which you can get soonest. All Pro probably has em ready to ship for example.

Oh and nothing against metal miller but that's not really what you're looking for.

Eric's skids:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/rel...15-4-15-a.html

Heres a pic of Erics mid and t-case skid and a 3/16 IFS I built personally, on my truck.

I've tried to be as unbias as possible and explain my reasoning so hope it helps.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #7
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Even though you're just looking to replace the IFS skid now, you may want to consider the rest of a company's skid plates for later upgrades.

I'm not planning to bash my way to glory, so I went with a set of 1/4" aluminum BudBuilt skids. I think they'll be plenty strong for my uses without weighing down my truck. I'd suggest keeping weight in mind when shopping. You don't want to end up with too little protection, but a lot of unnecessary weight isn't ideal, either. If you think you really need 1/4" steel, go for it, but consider other options, too.

I ordered from BudBuilt yesterday and I've been very pleased with their service so far.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #8
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
You left out Pelfreybilt.

I got one from him and what a work of true craftsmanship. Bolted right up. A REAL skid plate.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
You left out Pelfreybilt.

I got one from him and what a work of true craftsmanship. Bolted right up. A REAL skid plate.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...kidplates.html
Old 09-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
Member #12005
Round II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Round II's Tacoma Gallery
ATO gets my vote as I have put them through some rough travels and they held up well.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
Lavadog has a spectacular aura aboutLavadog has a spectacular aura about
Marines:
Name: Ernie
Lavadog's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend Pelfreybilt.

I have the Skid plate and it's an awesome product. Great customer service, also.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLombardo View Post
That's a great looking product and the price is pretty darn good, too. OP should definitely consider it.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
Fletcher007 is on a distinguished road
Name: Hollywood
Fletcher007's Tacoma Gallery
ato hands down. if you plan to be around rocks it is a no brainer. it is simply the strongest an offers the most protection. and i actually put mine on my self!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher007 View Post
ato hands down. if you plan to be around rocks it is a no brainer. it is simply the strongest an offers the most protection. and i actually put mine on my self!
don't believe Kevins is quite as wide as mine, mine protects the lca mounts a tad more and I offer 1/4" as well so just as beefy.
Its probably a toss up though and depends on shipping costs to whether mine or ato is a better buy, both quality Skids.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #15
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Why not famous fab ? I think theirs looks beef as hell and it is gusseted ? Also ATO has a 1/4" think one that will probably stand up to almost any abuse.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
don't believe Kevins is quite as wide as mine, mine protects the lca mounts a tad more and I offer 1/4" as well so just as beefy.
Its probably a toss up though and depends on shipping costs to whether mine or ato is a better buy, both quality Skids.
Ok, didn't know you guys had a 1/4" one as well. Coin toss ?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher007 View Post
I hear this, often. How do you figure?

I think it's great that ATO is so well liked and with reason but when people make such absolute statements (about anything) - with nothing substantial to back it up, I have to roll my eyes.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Why not famous fab ? I think theirs looks beef as hell and it is gusseted ? Also ATO has a 1/4" think one that will probably stand up to almost any abuse.
I did forget about Pelfrey and Famous Fab. Two more good options to make it a tougher choice!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #19
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I did forget about Pelfrey and Famous Fab. Two more good options to make it a tougher choice!
I was dead set on ATO skids but after seeing Eric's set IDK... I think it would be a coin toss.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #20
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, I really appreciate everyones responses.. I think it will come down to cost mostly for me. However, a few of you have brought up a couple of good points.
One is weight. For the wheeling I am doing now, I can get away with a 3/16. However, I would like the MAX coverage- and it sounds like relentless is the one with the widest and most coverage. And I really like how his kind of protect the LCA bolts because yesterday, my buddy scraped both of his.
However, eventually if the funds present themselves, I would like to add on to the armor collection down there... This may sound like a dumb question but would the Relentless skid be "compatible" with future armor?

It does suck though.. because the rest of the day while I was driving I'm thinking, "ok I can do $300 bucks right now. I new I would get a better skid after destroying this one." So when I get back to my apartment my buddy Kevin and I are on the ground looking at it and I stand back up- and my iphone goes flying from my pocket and shatters on the ground. -awesome. So now I get glass shards in my hands and face whenever I use my phone, and I'll have to get a new one!