1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BUG DEFLECTOR QUESTION

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hiker, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Sep 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Just wondering, for all those who say these are worthless, damage the paint, etc. have you actually tried these before or are you just repeating things you've heard from other people?

The reason I ask is that I've driven both my truck and my wife's crv with and without a deflector and I've seen a noticAble difference in the amount of bugs splatter on the windshield. If you don't like the look fine, but don't give advice if you don't have first hand knowledge.

Anyhow, I have the bug deflector II and like it.
    [​IMG]

2. Sep 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    ee1284

ee1284 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner Sport

This

3. Sep 16, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    jshsltr

jshsltr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    St Louis
    Actually it is unlikely that a deflector would send a rock to the windshield. If a rock was headed that way, it would be just as likely to bounce off the hood and hit the window as it would bounce off the deflector into the windshield.

The bug deflection works by diverting the air flow that would normally be directed at your windshield. The diverted air is generally enough to lift the majority of bugs up and over the path of the windshield.

It is very highly unlikely that this air would lift a rock up into the path of the windshield due to both the mass/density of rocks and the ratio of top/bottom surface area that would be required to achieve adequate lift.

:rolleyes::D

4. Sep 16, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    TXPROMAN

TXPROMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO TACOMA
    You are 100% right ! Good post !

5. Sep 16, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    JWinTN

JWinTN Well-Known Member

Member:
    E TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    I just took the OEM one off of my ’12. It had already started to wear through the "protective" strips on a couple of the brackets. It had been on a couple of months.

I also didn't like that the brackets sat on top of the paint and made it difficult to clean.

I'm going to look at the Lund Bugflector.

Now that I have the deflector off the truck, I've noticed more insect impacts toward the lower part of the windshield.

6. Sep 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I really don't like the look

if I want hood paint protection...I'd go with the clear vinyl material.

as far as bugs go...I'm in Florida...we get used to it.

7. Sep 16, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    ae111black

ae111black Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kimo
    Hilo Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport
    plenty
    No but the only problem points I can see could be where the brackets attach to the hood but the look fine

8. Sep 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    !TacoTaco!

!TacoTaco! TACO LOVER!

Member:
    First Name:
    Felix
    PSL, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD SR5 Sport
    Removed coal filter, Also installed AFE air filter. Roof rack with custom diamond plate air diverter.
    Anyone know which deflector has the lowest profile? :)

9. Sep 16, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    us3rname

us3rname Member

Member:
    El paso
    I just put on one from avs and the only contact it has with the hood is on the underside where it bolts on. I'm hopeing it has the same results as the one i put on my 05 duramax.

10. Sep 17, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    :facepalm:

Nope. I'm just talking out of my ass. I guess you can't comprehend the part were I wrote my truck was damaged?

Totally untrue. I can send at least 10 people in here to comment that have personal experiance with this product causing issues. You can NOT back up your statement making it false and an opinion not a fact.

So your telling me a rock with a jet stream of air (approx 25psi) behind it will not move the rock when the jet stream of air changes?

So why do you have this guard on your truck then? I guess the "mass/density" of bugs is so much less it works on them great but nothing else moves over them.

You gotta love when someone tries to talk smart and has no actual data to prove it. How is it a 1.3 million pound plane gets off the ground?

derp

11. Sep 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    jshsltr

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    St Louis
    Well Derp your self sir. How many bugs do you encounter on the road that do not already have wings and are already aerodynamically build like aircraft. On the contrary, how many rocks shoot up from the road, propelled tangentially from a spinning tire that are naturally shaped like an aircraft.

These bugs also will be traveling at a relatively low velocity compared to a rock kicked up by a tire for instance. This "25psi stream of air" that you talk of would act upon the rock a very small fraction of the time that it would upon a bug. That, along with the fact that I have never seen a rock with wings leads me to believe that the stream of air would act upon the rock a very negligible amount. And to go even further, the mass to surface area ratio and mass to volume(density) of any bug is going to be much less than that of almost any stone you would encounter hurling toward your windshield. Otherwise it would most likely be smashed along with the bugs.

I sir know exactly how an increased surface area on the bottom of the wings of an aircraft creates a net upward force (lift if you will).

You should do your research before you start telling me that I am just trying to sound smart.

I do not assume that I am sounding smart or that it even makes me smart when all I have done is explain elementary physics/aerodynamics. There are much more difficult subjects.

Good day.

12. Sep 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM
    jshsltr

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    St Louis
    Just because a rock bounces off a deflector into a windshield doesnt mean that the air stream that is meant to move the bugs did it. A rock bouncing off of a hood would be headed in the same direction.

13. Sep 17, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    is your occupation a rocket scientist? :rolleyes:

14. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
  15. Sep 17, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    jshsltr

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    St Louis
    Not exactly... I was a jet/heli mechanic for a few years. I am now a 3rd year mechanical engineering student.

16. Sep 17, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That explains a lot

17. Sep 17, 2012 at 9:08 PM
    jshsltr

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    St Louis
  18. Sep 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    Oh why excuse me Mr. Mechanical Engineering Student :D

19. Sep 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    To be a bit more obvious....I guess thats why they call them "bug" deflectors, not "bug/rock" deflectors.

Pretty sure if you read the back of any of their packaging there would be a note somewhere on there disclaiming that they are not intended for use to reduce or remove the hazard of rocks, pebbles, stones, gravel, etc from hitting your windshield.

As I dont have a package on hand to verify, I am just guessing....just sayin.

20. Sep 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

So absolutely no actual eduction in aerodynamics or wind pressure....thanks for clarifying that.

I use wind pressure every day at work and also compute how it flows into and around glass :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top