Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil Change: 2011 Tacoma TRD V6 4.0L with Oil Cooler

Old 09-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD is on a distinguished road
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Oil Change: 2011 Tacoma TRD V6 4.0L with Oil Cooler

I am about to hit my 25k mark at which point I will be doing my own oil changes. Just did my first home oil change on our 2011 Highlander today....stupid oil filter element style.

With this said, what oil should I use? Is it a good time to switch to full synthetic? I am assuming the dealership used conventional 5w30, correct?

Also, how much oil is needed? I see it calls for 5 quarts, but wouldn't I need more since I also have the oil cooler?

Last question - oil filter. Which oil filter do you use? Fram? Bosch? Napa? Something cool I don't know about?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
There's a billion threads, but seriously, your best filter is going to be the OEM Toyota filter.
Fram is junk. Bosch and Napa are okay, Purolator is good, Mobil-1 is better but not worth $12.

http://www.partswebsite.com/1sttoyot...n=1&type=parts

$88 shipped will get you 20 oil filters.

On oil, you can go to synthetic at any time.
I prefer Mobil-1 5w30, but go by your owners manual for the grade... some engines take 0w20.

Not sure where you're seeing it call for 5 quarts. You'll need to buy 6... a drain/refill with filter is closer to 5.5 quarts on the 2.7. Pretty sure the 4.0 is the same, but just fill it with 5, run to check for leaks, then let it sit for 10 minutes or so and check it. You'll probably need another half quart.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
^^^Trillions
Old 09-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

Name: Lawson
lawless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
There's a billion threads, but seriously, your best filter is going to be the OEM Toyota filter.
Fram is junk. Bosch and Napa are okay, Purolator is good, Mobil-1 is better but not worth $12.

I prefer Mobil-1 5w30, but go by your owners manual for the grade... some engines take 0w20.

Not sure where you're seeing it call for 5 quarts. You'll need to buy 6... a drain/refill with filter is closer to 5.5 quarts on the 2.7. Pretty sure the 4.0 is the same, but just fill it with 5, run to check for leaks, then let it sit for 10 minutes or so and check it. You'll probably need another half quart.
this dealer is in my hood. perhaps i could pick up a bunch of filters and save a few shipping dollars. wonder if i can get the same price if i show up at the front door?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawless View Post
this dealer is in my hood. perhaps i could pick up a bunch of filters and save a few shipping dollars. wonder if i can get the same price if i show up at the front door?
They are only $11 for three at the local dealerships out here...
Old 09-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
They are only $11 for three at the local dealerships out here...
Ya... dealers aren't normally bad.

If you get one trying to charge $5, find another dealer.
There are two "books" they use for parts. They use full retail when billing out a customer job or OTC sale.
They use the other book for "internal" sales... such as from the parts department to the tech working in the shop.

But more and more dealers are writing OTC sales on the low book.
I have two dealers about 5 and 8 miles from me... one charges high book, the other low.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the link on the cheap filters, we use them on the Taco, Jeep Wrangler Sahara and the SIL 4Runner...

Quote:

Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:

You should get a cut of their profits! You give them tons of free advertising.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
rdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: Officer
Name: Rick
rdm197aps's Tacoma Gallery
i agree with rich, go with a brand name filter, or get the one from the dealer. i woildent recommend anything cheap like STP. WIX is probably one of the best. Mobil 1 is great but expensive. if you keep up with the oil changes per the manual, and dont drive like a pissed off teenaged girl, it wont matter if you use conventional or synthetic oil. and dont let some shop talk you into a system flush. it will actually make the engine develop leaks.

now with that last statement im sure someone will get grumpy and try to prove me wrong. so i issue the grumps a challenge... dont flush the system untill your truck has @100,000 miles on it. then go to your local stealer ship or slicked back hair auto repair shop and get it flushed. watch the leaks begin. a good shop will tell you not to do it because of the potential for leaks.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
I've never even heard of flushing the engine like that. I wouldn't ever do it. Just change the oil regularly.

Agree with the others on here, and I also recommend picking a brand of oil and sticking with it -- don't bounce around to whatever is on sale.

I like synthetic mostly for the added protection on a cold engine. Pick one and stick with it.

As far as filters, go OEM if you can. I get lazy and end up buying one where I get oil, and I like the Bosch ones. I just did a change yesterday, so I visually compared the different brands. Mobil 1 and K&N appear to be the same filter. The STP one looked like it might come apart. I bought a Bosch.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
If you love your engine, go with Mobil 1.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
paid4c4 is on a distinguished road
paid4c4's Tacoma Gallery
Is the website http://www.partswebsite.com/1sttoyot...n=1&type=parts
supplying Toyota filters?
Bill
Old 09-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
So which filter? I think I have established I will go with Mobil 1. Also, with the oil cooler, do I need more oil than a truck without the oil cooler?
Old 09-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneHD View Post
So which filter? I think I have established I will go with Mobil 1. Also, with the oil cooler, do I need more oil than a truck without the oil cooler?
Toyota YZZD3 oil filter (torque the pan drain bolt to 30 Ft lbs...and don't forget the crush washer)

5.5 quarts of oil.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #17
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post

Thanks. Made on offer of $45 and it was instantly accepted. Walmart seems to be the cheapest place for the Mobil 1 5W-30 oil, both in 5 quart and 1 quart.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneHD View Post
Thanks. Made on offer of $45 and it was instantly accepted. Walmart seems to be the cheapest place for the Mobil 1 5W-30 oil, both in 5 quart and 1 quart.
Costco gets pretty cheap too. Watch for deals if you are a member.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
You should get a cut of their profits! You give them tons of free advertising.
I do get a cut of their profits... kinda.

I buy most of my parts from them. Either Titus-Will or Toyota of Dallas.
I'll always price compare the two.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post
Is the website http://www.partswebsite.com/1sttoyot...n=1&type=parts
supplying Toyota filters?
Bill
The link didn't translate because of the way you copied it, but yes, those are the OEM Toyota/Denso filters. Same filters you would get at the dealership.
I bought 10 for my Taco and 10 for my wife's Rav-4 and the total with shipping was $88.