1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

285/70/R17 lift advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DLat27, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Sep 16, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    DLat27

DLat27 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC LB Pyrite Mica
    Black tail lights mod FX-R stage III retrofit w/ orbit shrouds and XB Angel Eyes Morimoto Mini elite H11 kit for fogs Horn relocate mod Toyota Man's Sleeper Lids
    I'm new here in TW. I want to buy the Toyo Open Country M/T's in 285/70/R17 or maybe 285/65/R18. I have a 2012 TRD Sport DC LB 4WD. I am looking for great advice on the lift I should purchase to fit these tires and rims with minimal trimming. Any advice on the lift (Make, model, etc), the leafs, shocks, UCA's, etc would be awesome. I want to get a list of everything I need and start shopping. Thanks!!!
    [​IMG]

2. Sep 16, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Welcome to TW.

It would benefit yourself to do your own work and research your own parts.

If you lack the knowledge I suggest you read up or call an offroad shop that will get you a package together.

3. Sep 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    5100 bilsteins front and rear, top plate spacer for full 3", light racing upper control arms, and a rear add a leaf and those wheels and tires

ready set go

4. Sep 16, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    JonnyBb

JonnyBb I have to return some videotapes

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro (upgrade from my 2nd gen)
    Work in progress, but mods so far; OTT 7.0 tune, 255/85/16 Falken WildPeak M/Ts
  5. Sep 16, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    Maybe get some ideas from one of these threads:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/11590-ongoing-lift-install-price-thread.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/28653-show-off-your-double-cab-long-bed-photos.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/55565-double-cab-long-bed.html

I have a 2010 DCLB and have 5100s with Eibach coils in front with TSB rear springs (soon to be upgraded) and 265/70 R17 Hankook Dynapro ATMs on stock sport wheels. (pics in gallery) Welcome and cant wait to hear about your choice!

6. Sep 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    aptech

aptech Jetfixer

Member:
    houston
    Vehicle:
    10 dc offroad
    toy teccoil overs 2.5 lift.600lb springs, allpro expedition leaf pack. cbi hybrid bumper, cbi slider,cbi rear bumper swing arm, roof rack ghostflames, sport hood, tsb steering, trd cai, red map lights, derp works custom platform for bed. backup cam any time mod, fog light any time mod. bed light mod. 400watt inverter mod. 2857516 dura tracs. beach sand intsall and a lot more shite
    is this friendly
    :p

this advice is sound though do tons of research. call shops and venders. and decide for your self. i wanted to do springs and shocks and rear springs but life happens as it always does had to replace tires to soon to wait to do it the way i preferred so i did the tsb in the rear and spacer lift in the front. and trimmed panels. later when i when the lotto i can afford to do it right:cool:

7. Sep 16, 2012 at 5:51 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  8. Sep 16, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    DLat27

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Black tail lights mod FX-R stage III retrofit w/ orbit shrouds and XB Angel Eyes Morimoto Mini elite H11 kit for fogs Horn relocate mod Toyota Man's Sleeper Lids
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm not going to be doing any major off-roading. Well not intending to at the moment. Mainly want the lift and tires for appearance and winter weather. I was looking at the 5100's but from the research I've been doing they would only have 1" of travel. That seems kind of insufficient. I've read about OME shocks and 885 springs for a double cab.

9. Sep 16, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I have the full OME lift with 885's and Dakars on my DCLB , I'm very happy with it

10. Sep 16, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    DLat27

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Nice build gallery!!

11. Sep 16, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    I've got the Icon resi ext travel coilovers, Icon rear resi 2.0 shocks, camburg UCA's and the Dakar rear leaf spring on my taco and it's f'in amazing!

12. Sep 16, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    DLat27

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Looks great!! How much lift up front and how much lift in the rear? What size tires and rims? Also about how much was your entire lift setup? Thanks!

13. Sep 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    Bigger question....................budget? That will really help. No offroading....you could go as cheap as a leveling kit and minor trimming.........you wanna offroad down the line?...........spend the 1500 and get a full OME lift front and rear(leaf pack) and control arms. You got lots of cash?.................get an icon or king mid travel set up.

14. Sep 16, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I got 2 1/2" of lift up front with 885's no top plate spacers , and the Dakars got me 2 1/2" out back , I also have LR UCA's

My current tires are LT275/70/17 Hankook ATm's on stock Sport alloys

My lift components were purchased in Canada so the cost won't be relative for you

15. Sep 16, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    DLat27

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Sweet looking ride!! How much did that entire lift setup cost you? How much lift up front and how much lift in the rear?

16. Sep 16, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    Thanks man. I'm sitting about 2 1/2 up front and full three in the year. I don't have the actual measurements. The entire thing, along with the Timbren bumps, beefed carrier bearing drop and U-Bolt flip kit was about 4k.

17. Sep 16, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    DLat27

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    As far as a budget, I wanted to be under 700 for a lift kit. Wheels and tires I'm sure would be close to 3000. I don't want a cheap lift that I'll regret and I don't want the most expensive thing out there. I can save and spend a little more if it's worth it.

18. Sep 16, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    bridgcat

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I'd say your best best for a quality lift on a budget would be the OME lift like Oz has. My buddy has it and he loves it. I dunno the actual price of it though but I'd say get some light racing UCA's to go along with it so you're probably gonna be close to 1k.

19. Sep 16, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    DLat27

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!!

20. Sep 16, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    DLat27

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. Leaning that way. Any recommended sites to shop at for a good price?

Products Discussed in

To Top