Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

09 brake question

Old 01-16-2009, 06:02 AM   #1
Voice of Reason
ElevenTenths is on a distinguished road
ElevenTenths's Tacoma Gallery
09 brake question

sorry if this has been covered, search did not reveal much...

is a slight buzzing when engaging the brakes normal? it is not on the level of an abs engagement... feels like more like a self test other cars do on the first use of the brakes. i can hear a faint whirr as one would expect from a self test... strange thing is it happens with almost every use of the brakes not just once.
thanks.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:24 AM   #2
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
That doesn't happen on my 09 nor does what you describe sound normal for any healthy brakes.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: security forces
09tacoLI's Tacoma Gallery
Ive only got 70 mi on my 09 but It doesn't make any noise I'll let you know if it does and keep us updated if you find out whats up.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Never a noise problem here either.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
IRISHDEVIL is on a distinguished road

IRISHDEVIL's Tacoma Gallery
Does the Sound come from under the dash? If so it sounds like the brake switch is bad. Let us know were the sound is comeing from.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
Voice of Reason
a second or two of pulsing in the pedal... associated with a very faint whirring from under the hood, not under the dash.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like ABS is kicking in. Are you on snow or ice? My ABS is quite sensitive on snow/ice.

Aside from that, the only buzzing I get is when I try to drive without fully releasing the park break.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:03 AM   #8
Voice of Reason
Interesting update...

I can recreate the symptom without the truck running/moving.
Get in, turn key to "on" but do not start truck, one can hear the faint whirring pump sound. Turn key to off, pump brake a few times, keep foot on brake, turn key back to "on" but do not start... again the whirring sound and slight buzzing in the brake pedal while the "pump" is running.
Is the brake boost in our later model tacomas pump vice engine vaccuum driven? if so, this would explain the symptoms and put it in the normal(ish) column...
Old 01-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
brendazzle will become famous soon enoughbrendazzle will become famous soon enough
brendazzle's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have that on mine, brakes are quiet; especially when stopped.

-------------------
09 4x4 a/t access cab v6
Old 01-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
OIF Vet
Liquidity is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Engineer
Liquidity's Tacoma Gallery
I have about 1,000 miles on my 09 with no noise at all
Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #11
Voice of Reason
Dealer Verdict.

Es Normal... according to our servicing dealer:

There is indeed an electric pump that is responsible for the brake boost and that is what I was detecting. I checked my brake system is there is no vacuum accumulation drum/diaphragm against the firewall.
For those wishing to verify yours is working.... park somewhere quiet (such a closed garage), open the driver window, turn the key to "on" but do not start you car, you will hear the pump pressurize the system for a bit. after it stops pumping the brake should make it trigger again.

It is always possible the dealer is blowing smoke but it all sort of fits.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenTenths View Post
sorry if this has been covered, search did not reveal much...

is a slight buzzing when engaging the brakes normal? it is not on the level of an abs engagement... feels like more like a self test other cars do on the first use of the brakes. i can hear a faint whirr as one would expect from a self test... strange thing is it happens with almost every use of the brakes not just once.
thanks.
my brake makes that buzz noise when I stepped it on it sometimes. I thought it was normal. The buzz would vibrate to my foot, just a slight buzz, not anything crazy.. I'm going to drive it out for lunch and let u guys. my brakes works thou...
Old 10-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
Geode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a new 09' 13 months ago. Low and behold today it started making this noise, mostly when applying the brakes but it also happens when in park or at a stop. But almost always when I hit the brakes. Sounds like a servo motor. Been trying to avoid taking it to the dealer for the brake pedal surgery and ECU update. But if this keeps up sounds like I'll need to get it in for service....
Old 10-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard a noise like you might be describing- sounds kind of like the windshield wiper motor. Only ever heard it after first brake application when pulling out of driveway. Also, I experience quite a bit of pedal sink when stopped at lights. I know this is "normal" for Tacos, but it seems excessive in this case. I had an '07 TRD and it did not exhibit nearly as much pedal sink. Wondering if I have a vacuum leak? Also, how would you know if you have leak in master cylinder? In any other vehicle I would be at the dealer right now demanding replacement of my apparently leaking master cylinder.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geode View Post
I bought a new 09' 13 months ago. Low and behold today it started making this noise, mostly when applying the brakes but it also happens when in park or at a stop. But almost always when I hit the brakes. Sounds like a servo motor. Been trying to avoid taking it to the dealer for the brake pedal surgery and ECU update. But if this keeps up sounds like I'll need to get it in for service....
Normal. Just drive your truck.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #16
Geode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I'll keep an eye on it. It's not an intermittent problem, It happens whenever I apply the brakes, as well as at other times......

Any chance it is throwing a code? I've been looking for an excuse to get a reader

Did anything get resolved by the original poster?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
Mine buzzes and clicks sometime when starting the truck when boosting itself for wathever reason. Brakes work fine so no problem there.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
20,000 miles on my 8 month old 2010 driving 31 miles one way to work. The brakes pedal buzzes and you can hear the pump working. No braking problems ever. This is normal operation of the system when you have the TRD offroad. Please don't turn this into a gas pedal recall.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #19
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Hilux View Post
I have heard a noise like you might be describing- sounds kind of like the windshield wiper motor. Only ever heard it after first brake application when pulling out of driveway.
What you are describing is the ABS system calibrating itself. Perfectly normal.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #20

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
That works for me, but why did it start after 13 months of ownership? And will it ever stop? On my drive home it became quite irritating, every time I apply the brakes I get this loud servo sound for a few seconds.

I cleaned the interior recently, first time....Should have known it was a bad idea.