Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just picked up a new Tacoma and have some questions

Old 09-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
BlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really nice
Name: Thomas
BlindingWhiteTac.'s Tacoma Gallery
Just picked up a new Tacoma and have some questions

I just bought a new truck on Friday. It's a white 2012 double cab automatic with the off road package. I have already picked up a snatch strap, shackles, and receiver mounted shackle. Together with a fire extinguisher and first aid kit the in cab storage is running out. I am looking for a tool box, preferably with a single lid. Anybody have any experience and can recommend a manufacturer and/or model? Prefer aluminum diamond plate.

I'm also looking for sliders. The most heavy duty bolt on ones I can get. Looking for suggestions from people with experience.

Lastly, I am going to do the breather extension for the rear differential. I already have the how to, but was curious if there were any other breathers that need to be extended. I found the two under the hood and they seem to be high enough. Transmission, transfer, front, and rear.....which one am I missing?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. Congrats.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
BlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really nice
Just took off the badges. It looks much cleaner now. I had a VW that was white and after a while it got that nasty brown ring around all the badges and I could never get rid of it. No worries now.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
lineman is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
lineman's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingWhiteTac. View Post
I just bought a new truck on Friday. It's a white 2012 double cab automatic with the off road package. I have already picked up a snatch strap, shackles, and receiver mounted shackle. Together with a fire extinguisher and first aid kit the in cab storage is running out. I am looking for a tool box, preferably with a single lid. Anybody have any experience and can recommend a manufacturer and/or model? Prefer aluminum diamond plate.

I'm also looking for sliders. The most heavy duty bolt on ones I can get. Looking for suggestions from people with experience.

Lastly, I am going to do the breather extension for the rear differential. I already have the how to, but was curious if there were any other breathers that need to be extended. I found the two under the hood and they seem to be high enough. Transmission, transfer, front, and rear.....which one am I missing?
Welcome!
As for toolbox's weatherguard makes a really nice and secure box if you are willing to pay the price.

There's all kinds of sliders around here.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-2nd-gens.html

as far as sliders i have no clue which are the best "bolt on"
Old 09-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
I'm undefeated in the UFC.
PerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shedPerfectTekniq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pepe Silvia
PerfectTekniq's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Rear diff is the only one needed really. Sounds like you did your homework. I miss Vancouver, WA....thinking about going back soon and havin some fun on Mt. Hood again.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Congratulations on the truck!

I can't help you with specifics on the toolbox, but you may want to consider some of the better plastic ones. I have a Contico cargo box that's damn near indestructible. I know it's stronger than most aluminum boxes of a similar size, and it was much cheaper.

I just ordered a set of Famous Fabrications Rock Sliders. To my knowledge, these are the only sliders available that are designed to be bolted on, with no drilling required to fully mount. I really didn't want to drill into the frame as is required with most bolt-on installations. I've already been told by more experienced people that I'll eventually want to weld them on for a stronger connection, but I think they'll be fine for my uses. There are a few positive reviews on them, and Appljaxx posted a video where he definitely beat on them without a problem. Derek has been quick to respond to me, too.

I haven't done the breather extensions, and I don't have the service manual yet. Try searching some more for DIYs on that, or PM someone that's already done it. They should be able to fill you in.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
I won't be doing anything too extreme so I'm not worried about welding them. I just want something easy to install without relying on somebody else who might screw it up. But those look like they will work.

As for the box I'm looking at Weatherguard and UWS. Those are the only ones I have had multiple recommendations on.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Fractured's Tacoma Gallery
I am partial to the avid off road bolt on sliders. Check the vendor section on this site, the guys name is Brandon. The customer service over there is great, and their products are really well built.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
Just figured out how to post pictures:

Old 09-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
Joshman35 will become famous soon enough
Name: Josh
Joshman35's Tacoma Gallery
Toolbox

BetterBuilt makes a 30" diamond plate toolbox, Lowes carries the brand, I've had their products in the past and they are rock solid. Also, not a diamond plate, but RIGID makes a 30" heavy duty box, that I think you can bolt or lock to your bed.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendooman View Post
UWS FTW, there is no substitute
unless you want to walk on the big hitter from the bench...

then you go Weatherguard.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #15
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just figured out how to post pictures:
Nice truck man, good color choice!

Edit:
If you plan on doing any type of off road trim the front mud flaps. They break/crack really easy, I cracked a set just hopping a curb to get to a MX track.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #16
Tripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tripps2012's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a UWS full width low pro off CL for $150.00 and I've been very happy with it.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #17
jdhaas3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdhaas3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdhaas3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdhaas3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdhaas3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdhaas3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdhaas3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdhaas3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdhaas3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdhaas3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdhaas3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Name: Jimmy
jdhaas3's Tacoma Gallery
BAMF - Bay Area Metal Fab sliders. Guy is amazing to work with and very friendly. Sliders arrived, were beefy and looked great. Highly recommend.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
Picked up some of the parts from the dealer to extend the rear differential breather. Should give me something to do this weekend. Also ordered sliders from Famous Fabrication.

The Acura should be gone this weekend so with cash in hand I'm going to buy the tool box. I have been checking on Craigslist, but I found a UWS dealer locally that has the box I want new for ~400.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
I just finished installing some FF sliders. Good choice.

I'll have to wait to do the breather mod, but it's getting done soon.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #20
Finished the breather mod. Mounted it in the cubbyhole behind the driver's side. I figure it will be covered by the tool box anyways.