1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

odd noise from 2012 tacoma 6 speed manual

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kyleTRDtaco12, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Sep 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    hm.. ok.. well next wednesday ill be wasting my afternoon at toyota..

2. Sep 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers

but how so does the TSB from toyota fix this problem??

3. Sep 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    It basically changes the design of the the TOB that rides the quill. A wider design means less chance of wobble or binding. To fix an already scored quill you must swap the trans. Both these together may be a fix but you can see from that other thread people get the new bearing but not the new bell housing and problems persist. Some cases they get it done multiple times because dealers fail to understand the issue.

4. Sep 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario (the metric version)
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD 4x4 6MT 1GR-FE
    In the original design when the clutch pedal was depressed, the inner race of the throwout bearing applied a sideways force to the aluminum shaft it was riding when it was at the end of its travel which caused premature wear. If you spent a lot of time in traffic with your clutch pedal in (instead of sitting in neutral), it exacerbated the problem. At some point, there would be enough wear that the resulting wobbling/vibration would accelerate the wear even more eventually causing squeaking.

Toyota changed the length of the clutch release cylinder, throwout bearing and the pivot so that the travel of the bearing is more in alignment with the center line of the shaft/quill. It still has to travel in an arc but now its in the center of the arc instead of at the end so its not forced into the shaft anymore.

The transmission housing shaft is still machined aluminum so it remains to be seen how well the fix works long term. I had my transmission out for an unrelated issue and I put the TSB parts in since it seemed like cheap insurance.

I had 25K miles on mine and it had virtually no wear, just some discoloration so I hope I don't ever have the issue show up.

If you look in my photos, i have some pictures of the components.

5. Sep 20, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    Genesis0225

Genesis0225 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD-OR 6MT 4x4
    Bone Stock
    From everything you've described the squeaking throw-out bearing isn't the noise you are hearing. My 2012 does the same thing you are describing, has since new. I'm a little over 14K now and sound hasn't changed and no drivability issues.

6. Sep 20, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario (the metric version)
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD 4x4 6MT 1GR-FE
    And at 5K its highly unlikely OP would notice the TSB issue. Toyota would be using the TSB components for original assembly by now anyways ...

7. Sep 20, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    TwzteD

TwzteD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St Lucie Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 reg cab Auto
    2013 4x4 reg cab, 2011 4runner sr5 rims, 265 general grabber at2's, 5100's All 4 corners with fronts at .85, De badged, Egr Rainguards, Led tail lights, Int wipers, fog lights, Trailer Hitch, POwer locks+ keyless entry, Extang Solidfold Bed Cover, WeatherTech Mats, Stubbie Antenna, Trd Skid Plate, Tint, Scanguage, Cargo net in bed, Sound Ordnance B-8PT, FULID FILM Under Coat.

never know! my clutch on my 2010 was going out at 30k and that problem started in 05

8. Sep 20, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    that is exactly what i was thinking too!! because i know for a fact that on the 2012's they are using the TSB leafs in the rear, so they must be using TSB components during assembly on the face lifted models

9. Sep 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    also, i agree 100% with you as well, especially since u have a 2012 6mt also, and im almost positive mine has been doing it since new, but i never noticed it until it started getting cold because ive always driven around with the windows open (ive had the truck since brand new in april, when the weather started getting hot) so now since its been cold in the mornings over here in new jersey, i can hear it in the cabin now that i leave the windows shut.

10. Nov 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    just2wd

just2wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    California
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    JASCO what did u do about this noise? is there a solution other than taking it to the dealer? i am looking to fix this but dont know where to start. please help me out -dan

11. Nov 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    I didn't have this noise because I have a 5 speed, but it was one of the reasons I passed on buying the v6. There was no solution at the time.

First came an unofficial fix which now applies to those out of warranty.
    http://urdusa.com/p1260519023/Throw...IT,-2005+-Tacoma-V6-6-Speed/product_info.html
    People have used this to repair the situation themselves, but this involves dropping the transmission. Results have been great.

I see 2007 in your profile so this probably doesn't apply - If you are under power-train warranty 5 yr/60k there is an official tsb fix from Toyota. They will inspect the quill (scored shaft in link above) as replacing the TOB on a damaged quill will cause the issue to return.

Products Discussed in

To Top