LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2013 taco having steering wheel shakes

Old 09-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Kingdesgn is on a distinguished road
Kingdesgn's Tacoma Gallery
2013 taco having steering wheel shakes

I just bought a 2013 and it has obtained the ever irritating steering wheel shake. It now has 1500 miles on it and I feel it's ridiculous! I am running stock everything on this truck including running the factory steel wheels with the Dunlop AT20 mounted on them. When I test drove it, the ride was smooth as glass. I will take it to the dealership to speak with them about the issue. Other than that, I love the truck.

My 2006 did the same thing and couldn't deal with it anymore and traded it in. I find this freakin' ridiculous!

Any thoughts?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Might be missing the weights for the wheels causing it to be unbalance. I'd get the wheels balance to make sure at the dealer.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Warranty.....
Old 09-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcadams View Post
Warranty.....
^^^^This. No question just take it in.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
fur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shedfur pig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fur pig's Tacoma Gallery
Check your lugnuts! New truck, you never know.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
I hear ya'll loud and clear. I check to see if the weights were still on the wheels and they are. I'm hoping it's not the drive shaft crap that I've been reading about on here. It's an intermittent steering wheels shake being that it does it sometimes but sometimes doesn't. I drive this truck 120 miles a day so I'm well aware how it drives. I'll take lit in to see what the dealership can do. It just brings back bad memories from the issues my 2006 had with this vibration problem. Are there any TSBs on this?
Old 09-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
any other thoughts out there?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if the Boneheads at the dealer tightened the lugnuts.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
you know what, I wouldn't doubt it! But, I will will check it out. It kinda scares me to read what other people are saying about the vibration. U know the drive shaft deal.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Balance issue.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
Does it happen all the time or does it happen intermittently on rougher roads? Tacomas do have loose steering columns that bounce around on rougher roads and there's a TSB out for it on earlier 2nd gens.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
Taco, that's what iI'm hoping for. Seems weird though that it rolled fine for the first 500 miles and now at 1500 miles I have the intermittent steering wheel vibration.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
08Taco, yes, that what it seem to be doing. On real smooth roads, I don't feel it as much but on rougher roads I get the steering wheel vibration. Yes it's intermittent. Tell me more about the TSB ...
Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
WV150 is on a distinguished road
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
Dunlop AT20. Need I say more.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
Yeah, I've heard bad things about these tires
Old 09-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Dunflops on steel wheels drove me nuts. It's probably either a balance issue or runout, meaning the wheel/tire is not spinning in a smooth, round circle. In the latter case, balancing will help but not eliminate the issue. Have them check the runout, not just balance, and remount the tire in a different position if needed and rebalance.

Mechanically these trucks are solid, and it's a shame they put crappy rubber on them making people think there is something seriously wrong. Those Dunflops are about the cheapest tires you can buy. They used to use decent Goodyear tires on their new cars/trucks. I already sent a letter to them about that, like I am important or something.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
thanks for the tsb. I'm not hearing a rattle though, just experience the intermittent vibration in the steering wheel. i think I'll take it to the dealership and have them check the balance on the wheels and the run out. I'll also ask them if there are any TSBs on this issue.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #19
BAUCE will become famous soon enough
BAUCE's Tacoma Gallery
My 2010 will shake a lot depending on the type of road... sometimes it's barely noticeable.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #20
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
I wonder if the Boneheads at the dealer tightened the lugnuts.
Is that part of the pre-delivery checklist?

Seems like at less than 2000 miles, the only "bonehead" to touch the lugs would be the one at the factory where the wheels were installed.