1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel keeps locking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cdecast82, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Sep 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    cdecast82

cdecast82 [OP] New Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Taco Build
    3" lift, 18" Pro Comp wheels, BF Goodrich R/T tires, Pioneer Navi/DVD head unit, custom grill, 10" JL Audio sub/amps, HID Xenon 6000k headlights/fog lights, back up camera, PKE/Push Button Start.
    Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. Just recently I have been having a hard time unlocking the steering wheel. Usually after putting the key in, I just step on the brakes and wiggle the steering wheel from left to right and it would unlock instantly. The longest it took me was 30 minutes to finally get it unlocked. I think the steering wheel pin lock is either bent or worn out. A mechanic quoted me a few hundred dollars to have it replaced. I searched online and I think the most economical way to resolve my issue is to remove the pin lock. I found videos on youtube to drill underneath the steering column to remove a spring, but they were BMW's and Honda's. Not sure if it will be the same procedure for a Tacoma. Has anyone here ever successfully removed or disabled there steering wheel pin lock? Please let me know as the issue keeps getting worst. I forgot to mention my vehicle is an '08 Tacoma double cab automatic.

2. Sep 24, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    To unlock, crank hard RIGHT, then turn key.

Products Discussed in

To Top