1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Taco owners, does your AC kind of suck to

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mdowling56, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Sep 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    Mdowling56

Mdowling56 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Drives like caddie... But it's a truck
    Bought a 2013 a few weeks back, of course I love the truck but I do hand a handful of gripes...The biggest of those gripes is the AC unit, yes it blows cold air, but not brand new vehicle cold air. Not sure if this is the case with everyone or if maybe I need to take it in and have it checked out.

Last weekend my wife and I both drove our new rides out to my parents house in the high desert. Both sat in a driveway under the 105 degree heat for about 4 hours. We jump in our cars to head home and the first thing I do is crank the AC to Max AC and full fan. To my surprise though, it spit out warm air, luke warm air and then somewhat cool air for almost 2 miles until it finally got to what I would consider cold air. What pissed me off even more is when my wife tells me that when she flipped her AC on (2012 Camry) she had friged air blasting out instantly.

Now normally the truck is garaged and I haven't been able to reproduce the 2 mile cool off time since. I have had several passengers though comment that the AC is kinda limp d1$%.

Just bums me out a little, I thought car manufacturers figured out years ago that everyone loves a frosty cold AC. I think I'd actually feel better if it turned out there was a problem with the AC unit.

Anyone else noticing this?

2. Sep 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    sbarnesvta

sbarnesvta Well-Known Member

Member:
    Burbank, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    My 3 month old tacoma A/C is horrible as well. My 2005 scion xb with 100K miles on it blew much colder and the air flow was significantly better.

3. Sep 22, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    you have to turn on recycle for max a/c....

4. Sep 22, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    my 07 always blew cold air but not super cold like alot of other vehicles, I think it might be a trait amongst our trucks

5. Sep 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Yes and no.

When first getting into the truck, if it's been parked in the sun, it's hotter inside than it is outside.
    Crack the window and run the fan on high to blow the hot air out the window.

Once the interior temperature is at or below the outside temp, then kick it into recirc.

It's easier to cool cooler air, so if the air outside is 100 and the air in the cab is 120, why recirc and try to cool the 120 air?

But... Something to keep in mind when comparing the Taco to other "new cars".
    The AC can't work without air flowing through the condensor/radiator.
    On the Tacoma, this comes from the truck moving, and the engine-driven fan.
    The fan is a clutch type fan. If it is not hot, it does not engage.

The Scion and other new cars, primarily FWD, but others as well, either do not have an engine-driven fan, or they have an auxiliary electric fan that kicks on any time the AC is running.

The Tacoma will simply not blow "chilly cold" at idle or when puttering along at 5mph in heavy traffic.

CMD-KY and fast5speed like this.
  6. Sep 22, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    Blueberry

Blueberry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Newton, KS
    Vehicle:
    T/X Pro named Blueberry by my daughter
    Custom Roofrack, Satoshi, Ammo-can in bed, Hi-lift, 2 HID Hella 700's, 4 Automatcentral 7" Offroad Lamps, 2 Hella Work/Bed Lamps, "Derp'd" Radio and Shifter Console, Anytime Fog-light mod, Anytime Rearview Camera mod, DTRL mod, Awesome TW sticker mod.
    Rich you never cease to amaze me. I always wondered this myself.

7. Sep 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    Mdowling56

Mdowling56 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Drives like caddie... But it's a truck
    Wow.. That's really irritating. I have to treat my 2013 truck the same way I did my 1981 Toyo pickup on a hot day... I know it's a truck and "purpose built" but Toyota has to know that this is a commuter vehicle just as much If not more than it is a work truck... Frosty cold AC seems like it had been agreed on a decade ago in the car world. Whatever the current mechanical reason, it could have been dealt with if they wanted.

I'm going to preface this by saying I love my truck... But having had it for a few weeks I'm really starting to notice a few things that chap me a bit. Most of All the AC, but also things like my wife's 2012, $20k car having waaaaaay more bells and whistles than my 2013, $26k Taco. Toyota definitely doesn't hide the fact that they don't have much competition in the mid size market, and part of me thinks they take advantage of that a bit.

8. Sep 22, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    There are options.

There are commercial e-fans available, but they are intended to replace the OEM fan and are not cheap, and you have to deal with thermostats and other issues.

What I did on my '95 Suburban... I got on RockAuto and bought the OEM aux fan that came on the 2500 Suburban.
    My 1500 had the mounts for it threaded in the radiator support, so it was a drop-in.

What wasn't a drop-in was the wiring. Of course, my 1500 was not wired for it.
    I wired it like a fog light... 40a relay connecting it to the battery, and I wired the relay coil across the AC clutch connector.

Any time the AC compressor kicked in, the Aux fan turned on.
    No reason you couldn't do the same on the Taco. I considered it last month, and IIRC, the Suburban e-fan was around $80.

fast5speed likes this.
  9. Sep 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Sell the truck if this is unlivable. :rolleyes:

bluezzy likes this.
  10. Sep 22, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    805warrior

805warrior New Member

Member:
  11. Sep 22, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I don't have this problem. We were in San Diego in 100 degree heat last month. When returning to the truck that I had left with windows up all day, I did just as Rich suggested with the recirc and AC options and it cooled down very quickly. I do have a manual trans and tend to drive with it in a lower gear when driving at lower speeds through town (higher RPM).

I completely agree with you the Toyota trucks are overpriced considering the lack of fancy options when compared to other vehicles.

12. Sep 22, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    My 2012 blows cold air...and plenty of it. As did my 2010. Have no problems with the truck cooling off quickly...

and I live in the heat & humidity capital of America.

BillsSR5 likes this.
  13. Sep 22, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Same here in SC, 2012 Tacoma. I have to turn the temp dial to about 11 o clock so I don't freeze.

14. Sep 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Mine is making ice cubes. [​IMG]

15. Sep 22, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    In addition to what Rich says, it is important to note that the truck has no insulation whatsoever.

If you pull the door panels off a camry or 4runner, they are backed with lots of insulation and are sealed off much better. This also serves to soundproof the car, making the ride quieter.

Since I went through and soundproofed* and insulated the truck the A/C seems to perform much better.

On the one hand it sucks that this isn't a priority for the Tacoma, but on the other - it's a truck. The TRD Sport/Offroad are the most capable stock offroad vehicles you can buy outside of a Jeep. There are tradeoffs to keep this thing from costing as much as a Sequoia.

(*The ride is also much quieter - so much so that my wife was impressed with the difference and she rarely rides in my truck and certainly doesn't like to encourage my spending on it.)

fast5speed likes this.
  16. Sep 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I think it is just the way of new a/c systems.

Just keep the rpm's up for the first few minutes of driving. Helps a lot for me.

17. Sep 23, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    Brandon H

Brandon H Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Offroad
    2017 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium. Icon stage 7, RCI skids, SCS SR8 wheels, budbuilt sliders, 285/70/17 BFG Ko2s (Old rig) 07 Taco TRD Offroad FUlly Locked, Icon Extended Travel CO's w/ remote resis., Alcan AAL's,Icon Remote Resi Rear Shocks, All Pro Front bumper w/ warn 9.5xp,winchline synthetic winch cable,All Pro IFS Skid plate, OME Shims, OME Carrier Bearing drop, Trail Gear Sliders, Yakima Load Warrior Basket, OEM Roof Rack, Hi Lift Extreme, Cobra model 19, Wilson Lil Wil Antenna, Yaesu ft-7800
    Its normal. Takes a while for it to get cold. Ever since all the car companies changed over to R134A for refrigerant in the early 90's to be more "ozone safe". Air conditioning hasnt been the same. My old 87 4x4 with R12 could habg meat in the cab it was so cold. Those days are long gone.

18. Sep 23, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    My 2011 has been great. Blows plenty cold for me. Got in my step daughters Mazda 6 in after sitting in the sun for a while and it made me really appreciate my truck. That car takes forever to cool down.

19. Sep 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    My 2011 is a year old and that was one of the gripes I had when I got it. When it came to my last car I could have frozen myself out at 30C outside. In my Tacoma, not so much. I hope that in the next generation they had made it better.

20. Sep 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    Brandon H

Brandon H Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Offroad
    2017 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium. Icon stage 7, RCI skids, SCS SR8 wheels, budbuilt sliders, 285/70/17 BFG Ko2s (Old rig) 07 Taco TRD Offroad FUlly Locked, Icon Extended Travel CO's w/ remote resis., Alcan AAL's,Icon Remote Resi Rear Shocks, All Pro Front bumper w/ warn 9.5xp,winchline synthetic winch cable,All Pro IFS Skid plate, OME Shims, OME Carrier Bearing drop, Trail Gear Sliders, Yakima Load Warrior Basket, OEM Roof Rack, Hi Lift Extreme, Cobra model 19, Wilson Lil Wil Antenna, Yaesu ft-7800
    Not likely. It has to do with the refrigerant they use. Its "ozone safe"

Products Discussed in

To Top