Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Riding Traits: Access cab vs. Double cab

Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
S1njin is on a distinguished road
S1njin's Tacoma Gallery
Riding Traits: Access cab vs. Double cab

Hey Gang,

Any appreciable differences in riding traits between the two? Does the double cab give you more weight in the back that would translate into a more stable ride, more grip on the back tires, less fish tailing, etc.?

Got the wife sold on getting a truck, but she really likes the double cab for family duty from time to time. Just wondering if that cab buys me more than seating space.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Depends whether you get short bed or long bed. DCSB and AC will have identical handling characteristics. DCLB has a longer wheel base and will tend to marginally higher stability, but less manoeuvrability.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
S1njin's Tacoma Gallery
It would be the short bed .... Was hoping the extra weight bought me something.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
There isn't much difference in weight. Also you get more interior space than the access cab.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
S1njin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
There isn't much difference in weight. Also you get more interior space than the access cab.
That's the whole reason the wife likes it !
Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
I personally like the Access cab, has enough space for me. But if space is a concern just go with the Double cab and you wont regret it. I also wanted a 6ft bed without increasing my wheelbase.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I dont think the added weight if much at all is going to give you much better traction. you plan on offroading? get some good offroad tires and it will perform well.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
S1njin's Tacoma Gallery
Just keep reading about fish tailing in sloppy weather due to the taco's light rear end.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1njin View Post
Just keep reading about fish tailing in sloppy weather due to the taco's light rear end.
That is any pick up truck...
Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
any rear wheel drive truck I've ever driven will fishtail in slippery conditions.

with all the traction control systems in my 2012, I can't get very sideways before the truck puts me back in a straight line. yes, you can turn them off :P
Old 09-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
PaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PaintDrinkingPete's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1njin View Post
I've owned a Tacoma for 8 years now, and compared to some other rear-wheel drive trucks I've owned before, I'd say it actually handles quite well re: the rear end fishtailing.

Don't get me wrong, as with any truck, you have to be conscious of road conditions, and better tires with better traction doesn't hurt either, but I've never [knock on wood] had any fishtail moments in my Taco that required a change of pants...not even close.

Unless you really need the extra bed length (and don't want to get the DCLB), I'd recommend the double cab.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
AC is really small on the inside and I mean really. I love it though but definetely get the DC if your gonna be doing family duties. I have seen some pictures on TW with baby seats in the access cab so its up to you!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #13
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
As said same wheelbase & not much weight differance so get the cab/bed that works best for you.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
I had the AC before I got my DC LB. I would def stick with the DC you never know when you may need the extra room and weight difference is minimal between AC and DCSB, with my DCLB there is a difference in weight I can tell just by driving them and also the DC feels more solid due to the "B" pillar the AC lacks.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
DCSB has 17% less cargo capacity. The back seats are padded/cushy, but there is actually not significantly more space.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #16
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
The back seats are padded/cushy, but there is actually not significantly more space.
Wut
Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
DCSB has 17% less cargo capacity. The back seats are padded/cushy, but there is actually not significantly more space.
For passengers, there's significantly more space for them in the back of a double cab vs. an access cab...
Old 09-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Wut
Derp happened.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
For passengers, there's significantly more space for them in the back of a double cab vs. an access cab...
100% this ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Derp happened.
100% this ^^
Old 09-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #20
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
one foot is not significantly more space?