Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Baja Edition, What's the difference?

Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
gmcuajo is on a distinguished road
gmcuajo's Tacoma Gallery
Baja Edition, What's the difference?

I am new to this forum, searched but didn't found. I will write-up a long description of the info I am looking for...

Also search on the web and there is no official Toyota info or specs about the Tacoma Baja.

I am planning about buying a new Tacoma within 3 weeks when I get back to home. I want a double cab 4x4 auto in red. I am new to tacomas and don't know the true difference about different models. There are the TRD Sport, the Off-road package, the TX, and the TX Baja (as far as I can understand).

This will be my second car, so this time I want a new car, a model that have almost all the options available and I don't end up adding or wanting to have stuff of the other models.

I am more interested in performance and don't really care about sound systems or any other ICE. In fact if just the cheapest factory radio with 4 speakers lower the price of the truck that will be the best for me. I DON'T WANT TO MESS THE TRUCK WITH AFTERMARKET STUFF other than TRD exhaust, cold air intake and minor mods.So no any aftermarket suspension, lift etc. For previous experience it end up with warraty issues, aligment issues, etc.

What I really want to know is what are the real differences and performance upgrades of the baja edition vs an "off-road package tacoma"?

For what I search on the internet the differences of the TRD Sport vs TRD Off-Road:
1) HAC & DAC (hill start assist)
2) A-Trac
3) Auto-LSD rear differential
4) Bilstein Off-road suspension (TRD Sport says "Bilstein Sport Suspension")
5) Tires P265/70R16 in alloy wheels (TRD Sport says P265/65R17)
6) Engine Skid Plate
7) Front tow hook
8) Off-road graphics

My key questions here:
1) How the Auto-LSD rear differential work? For "Auto" I understand is like an "on demand" LSD. Does it work just in 4WD, all-time on demand, or have a bottom to lock the rear diff when in off-road?

2) Does this Bilstein Off-Road suspension is the same that is in the baja edition? The TRD Sport says Bilstein Sport, wich I understand is different than "off-road".

3) Are those different tires in 16" wheels the TRD wheels and BFGoodrichs of the baja?

What any other performance oriented difference have the baja that can't be found in this off-road package? Or this off-road package, really is the "baja edition" or "TRD TX off-road"?

Please someone that works in a dealer or really knows. Remember I am new to tacomas.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
futonpimp is on a distinguished road
futonpimp's Tacoma Gallery
don't buy that crap.

Just get a 4x4 trd. and the cab of your choice.

the baja is just a bunch of over priced addons.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I'm not 100% on this, but basically the Baja Edition is just the TRD OR edition, but with Rims, Bilstein 5100's up front and eibach coils, and 5125's in the back i think? Basically comes with a 2 inch lift or so to be 'offroad ready'. And a 5k markup. Do yourself a favor and get a 4x4 TRD OR and put what you want on it.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
It gets 70mpg (when powered by unicorn blood)
At the flip of a switch you will be in the Baja 1000
it has 25 inches of up travel and 5 inches of down travel.

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't spend the money. Id just get a trd or
Old 09-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
1 - The system works with the brakes

2 - The shocks on the Baja uses larger pistons and rear resi shocks.

3 - The baja has BFG ATs

4 - All of this is on toyota.com
Old 09-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
5 - Salesman don't know shit
Old 09-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Repost
Seems like your post is more accurate too.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.sight.picture View Post
It gets 70mpg (when powered by unicorn blood)
I thought only the full-size diesel trucks use unicorn blood to improve combustion and reduce emissions, as evidenced by the special receptacle? (Green cap for diesel, blue cap for unicorn blood.)

Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
hakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
hakabo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
effing hilarious...
Old 09-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
If you like the look/stance of the Baja, you're better off buying it. If you were to build it it would cost:

$900+ wheels and lugnuts
$1,000 tires
$1100 3" lift
$450 upper control arms
$100 alignment
$400 TRD exhaust

This is not including any installation or any annoying squeaks like my Toytec lift kit has...

My opinion on off road or sport: If you actually intend on going off road, get the off road. The rear diff locker has saved me a few times already.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
gmcuajo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post
If you like the look/stance of the Baja, you're better off buying it. If you were to build it it would cost:

$900+ wheels and lugnuts
$1,000 tires
$1100 3" lift
$450 upper control arms
$100 alignment
$400 TRD exhaust

This is not including any installation or any annoying squeaks like my Toytec lift kit has...

My opinion on off road or sport: If you actually intend on going off road, get the off road. The rear diff locker has saved me a few times already.
If what you say is what it really is...

Then I get the Baja Edition. Do the math and end with $3950. So $4000 more for the Baja Edition make sense to me. The thing is the mods can be done gradually, not $4000 more instantly or $80 more in monthly payment.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
gmcuajo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post
Ok, I'm not 100% on this, but basically the Baja Edition is just the TRD OR edition, but with Rims, Bilstein 5100's up front and eibach coils, and 5125's in the back i think? Basically comes with a 2 inch lift or so to be 'offroad ready'. And a 5k markup. Do yourself a favor and get a 4x4 TRD OR and put what you want on it.
Does the Baja Ed really is higher (lift) than the off-road package and comes with those shocks?

Its not the same high lift beacause of different shocks and springs, that gain the high lift by adding a "spacer" to lift the truck.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcuajo View Post
If what you say is what it really is...

Then I get the Baja Edition. Do the math and end with $3950. So $4000 more for the Baja Edition make sense to me. The thing is the mods can be done gradually, not $4000 more instantly or $80 more in monthly payment.

I guess you can buy the mods gradually, but you're going to have to put most of them on at the same time.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...es_first_test/

The baja sits 2" higher than a stock TRD off road.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I agree!
I've bought 5 different Toyotas over the years from the same dealership.
Last week I was telling the salesman what I was looking for in a Tacoma
Rear Locker A-TRAC
This idiot says " we can get you a locking tool box from Alamo Auto and I don't think anyone has 8 tracks anymore, why would you want one"?
I asked if he even know the product he was trying to sell me and walked away.
Working with a different dealer now.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #15
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
I thought only the full-size diesel trucks use unicorn blood to improve combustion and reduce emissions, as evidenced by the special receptacle? (Green cap for diesel, blue cap for unicorn blood.)

watch out for that unicorn blood, it will eat the paint
Old 09-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by futonpimp View Post
don't buy that crap.

Just get a 4x4 trd. and the cab of your choice.

the baja is just a bunch of over priced addons.
Way to help out a new member

If you're totally against modding the truck yourself then go for it. You'll get a mild lift, nice wheels, and upgraded suspension.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
Banned
The problem with buying the Baja is that you end up with shocks and rims. No squeaks? You need to have a listen to my 30 year old truck. Well it is a 10 but it sounds like it is 30 years old. Everything is stock. But for the same money you could do it better.

Should you buy it? Go for it but I wouldn't if it was me. You will probably end up ripping everything out.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #18
gmcuajo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
Way to help out a new member

If you're totally against modding the truck yourself then go for it. You'll get a mild lift, nice wheels, and upgraded suspension.
Thats the thing. I don't want to add any aftermarket at all. I have civic, mods start since I bought the car: coil springs (lowering in this case), shocks, tires, wheels, lights, short shifter, exhaust, nitrous, cylinder head swap to have VTEC and so on.

It ends up having alignment problems, also with camber kits and all. Change the suspension again for a higher (high Tein "gold color") because of daily driver. Don't pass the emissions because of cat-converter removed... I quit about racing, but can't have the same car. Still have it because of 34MPG... Also didn't have the best one with VTEC and all funny stuff...

I don't want to make the same mistake and start adding mods to it.

I live in Puerto Rico and will not use the truck for serious off roading or daily driving. Just want it for occasional daily drive and some weekends go out for some fun. If was thinking about serious off-road I then bought an old car (Cherokee or old T100's) that are cheap here, like 1000-4000, add some high lift kit go out. With one of those I won't care about any mud, rock, having muddy water in, hitting a tree, scratch the paint, etc.

I want a nice truck that just need oil changes and minor maintenance. Small mods like TRD cold air intake, maybe TRD supercharger in the future. And in 10-20 years instead of being crap it becomes a classic!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #19
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcuajo View Post
Thats the thing. I don't want to add any aftermarket at all. I have civic, mods start since I bought the car: coil springs (lowering in this case), shocks, tires, wheels, lights, short shifter, exhaust, nitrous, cylinder head swap to have VTEC and so on.

It ends up having alignment problems, also with camber kits and all. Change the suspension again for a higher (high Tein "gold color") because of daily driver. Don't pass the emissions because of cat-converter removed... I quit about racing, but can't have the same car. Still have it because of 34MPG... Also didn't have the best one with VTEC and all funny stuff...

I don't want to make the same mistake and start adding mods to it.

I live in Puerto Rico and will not use the truck for serious off roading or daily driving. Just want it for occasional daily drive and some weekends go out for some fun. If was thinking about serious off-road I then bought an old car (Cherokee or old T100's) that are cheap here, like 1000-4000, add some high lift kit go out. With one of those I won't care about any mud, rock, having muddy water in, hitting a tree, scratch the paint, etc.

I want a nice truck that just need oil changes and minor maintenance. Small mods like TRD cold air intake, maybe TRD supercharger in the future. And in 10-20 years instead of being crap it becomes a classic!
Sounds like the baja edition will be perfect for what you're looking for. Good luck with it if you decide to go for it!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #20
spartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspartanhockey6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Trevor
spartanhockey6's Tacoma Gallery
Trd sport skewp > Baja edition. haha

If you don't wanna mod your truck at all and you wanna wheel then get it? idk. with any tacoma model your not going to be dissapointed. I got the sport cause i felt like at the time i didnt need the locker. BUT, i cant really describe the LSD but it's done good so far. Either way you go you'll be happy. I'm happy with what i have but if i could do it again i'd throw down on a babied 1st gen and then mod it out. My step dad has a '00 tacoma with the stock locker and i'm amazed of the capability the thing has. Good luck! btw welcome to TW