Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

is the Key FOB automatically locking trucking shortly after unlocking?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
mitchbuck is on a distinguished road
mitchbuck's Tacoma Gallery
is the Key FOB automatically locking trucking shortly after unlocking?

I have a 2012 Taco DC SR5 and I have an annoying issue with it. If I unlock the truck with the Key FOB, it will automatically lock the truck after a few minutes. For example, If I unlock the truck from the house but leave the keys behind, the truck automatically locks if I don't open a door in time (say if I am distracted loading stuff in the bed). Its an annoyance now but I know one of these days its going to leave me high and dry somewhere. I got 2 key FOBs when I bought the truck, and the problem exists with both of them. Is there a way to reprogram the key FOB or truck? And can I do it on my own or does the dealer have to do it?
Old 09-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
05TRD4WD's Tacoma Gallery
the truck is automatically doing it as a safety feature.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
So many b!tches, so little time...now back to TW!!
crazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant future

Name: ErIc
crazyrzr85's Tacoma Gallery
My 2009 does the same thing...
Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
My 2007 does the same thing. I unlock with a fob, but if one of the doors isn't opened within a certain amount of time, it locks them again. I believe it's a feature to prevent you from accidentally leaving your truck unlocked.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
It's actually the truck re-locking itself. I don't believe it's the keyfob sending a second signal. I believe the interval is 30 seconds after an unlock it will lock again if no door is opened.

I don't believe there's any way to turn it off. I don't think it's serious if you know the feature exists.

I think it's nice. Let's say you walk away from your truck and you accidentally hit the unlock button instead of the lock button. Well now your truck would be open till you get back. So the truck locks itself if you don't enter.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Part of the design. I believe the easiest way to stop it from happening, is with the installation of an aftermarket alarm system.

Personally, I would just carry my keys in my pocket when running out to the truck for something quick.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I think its 30 seconds and its not a nuisance to me.... just a smart feature to keep you from leaving your truck unlocked
Old 09-26-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
photonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud ofphotonashville has much to be proud of
Name: John
photonashville's Tacoma Gallery
My '06 does it. And my wife's 2000 4Runner does it as well. It's never been an issue.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #9
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
As stated above, it will only lock if you don't open the door within the specified time frame. Once you do that it will stay unlocked until you lock it or use the fob again. I thought it was one minute, but 30 seconds could be correct.

On a related note, you may not have yet realized there is no keyhole on the passenger door. Not a huge deal unless you are in a rush to put something in that side and you only have a key, not the fob on you. Just a cheap move on Toyota's part as far as I'm concerned.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #10
Wow thanks for the fast responses. Its just one more thing that gets to me especially when i am beach fishing and frequently hoping in/out of the truck chasing the bite. If anyone knows a way to turn it off that or extend the timing from 30 seconds that would be great.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbuck View Post
Wow thanks for the fast responses. Its just one more thing that gets to me especially when i am beach fishing and frequently hoping in/out of the truck chasing the bite. If anyone knows a way to turn it off that or extend the timing from 30 seconds that would be great.
I guess I don't see the issue... if you're hopping in and out quickly, either don't lock it or unlock it when you're actually going to get back into the truck
Old 09-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
Its just that its more of a PITA when coming from the beach or the house and I hit unlock, and then by the time I load my gear into the bed the truck has already locked. I live in a pretty safe area and I am pretty religious about locking the truck anyways....don't need it to do it for me.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
Tripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tripps2012's Tacoma Gallery
If you open and close a door with in 30 seconds it will not relock it's self. You just have to cycle one of the doors. My wife's Honda does this as well as the Nissan's I had before my Taco it's a pretty standard thing.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripps2012 View Post
If you open and close a door with in 30 seconds it will not relock it's self. You just have to cycle one of the doors.
This.

Why not unlock when you need to get in?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
This.

Why not unlock when you need to get in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripps2012 View Post
If you open and close a door with in 30 seconds it will not relock it's self. You just have to cycle one of the doors. My wife's Honda does this as well as the Nissan's I had before my Taco it's a pretty standard thing.
Guys I am aware of all of this! Maybe it doesn't bother the rest of you, but for me its an annoyance especially when I have to fumble for the keys again while my arms are full trying to load the vehicle. I just want to know if there is a way to disable it.....
Old 09-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Mayne the dealer can do it.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Don't lock the truck, or use the key only to lock / unlock the driver side door and not the fob.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #18
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
BINGO, my 2012 does it if you unlock and don't open any of the doors it locks itself. On another note if a door is not closed all the way and you try and lock it with the fob the car beep screams at you. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP found that out the other day.

Nothing helpful i know
Old 09-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
wow
Old 09-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
jonatay is on a distinguished road
jonatay's Tacoma Gallery
I first noticed this on my wife's 06 4Runner. I would go to her purse and hit the unlock button, then run out to the garage and just as I got to it it would relock itself. I thought for a while that my wife was just trying to piss me off and she was sitting in the house locking it back as soon as she heard the door to the garage shut.