Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Auto LSD

Old 09-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #41
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
First off I am wrong, TRAC is not useless, it works well. Lets see if I can get this to come up right and explain the sequence I used. The first one is 2wd, RSCA off, auto LSD, truck with lines coming off the back off. The second one is 2 seconds later shifted into 4wd, TRAC off RSCA off. The third one is 4wd RSCA off. The forth one is with what I call everything off, 4wd RSCA off, TRAC off, truck w. lines off.
The little icon of the truck with lines, I can't turn that off and leave TRAC on in 4 hi, don't use low range much in the sand. Trying all the different settings, the best one for bonzi sand runs is everything off, just as good even better in places is just RSCA off. Traction is great, but something still cuts engine power when you need it most, like topping a hill. I can really feel the LSD effect going on hard with just RSCA off on harder surfaces, but with a foot minimum of sand beneath the tires, that traction is lost. Wheel speed is needed, momentum is key.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto LSD-img_0113.jpg   Auto LSD-img_0114.jpg   Auto LSD-img_0127.jpg   Auto LSD-img_0119.jpg   Auto LSD-img_0132.jpg  

Auto LSD-img_0120.jpg   Auto LSD-img_0128.jpg   Auto LSD-img_0129.jpg   Auto LSD-img_0123.jpg   Auto LSD-img_0137.jpg  

Old 09-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #42
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
RSCA is the rollover AIRBAG OFF butter!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #43
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
On my phone..
when I am on my PC I will examin your photos. Thanks for your post. !
Old 09-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #44
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cool, thanks
Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #45
Thelt is on a distinguished road
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
My best guess at this for my 2012 is that traction flows like this:

2wd default mode (VSC on) minimum traction mode meant for times when traction is not an issue.

2wd VSC off Auto LSD on better traction that activates stronger limited slip for the rear differential. Nice for times when you need a little more traction but do not want to go to full 4wd.

4wd TRAC off four wheel drive with open differentials on both ends

4wd default mode (TRAC on) four wheel drive with limited slip on both differentials.

I am not sure what happens in 4lo.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #46

Nothing happens in 4 lo, open diffs, on my sport unless I do the yellow wire mod. If I could get full power all the time with TRAC on I'd use it more.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #47

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
My best guess at this for my 2012 is that traction flows like this:

2wd default mode (VSC on) minimum traction mode meant for times when traction is not an issue.

2wd VSC off Auto LSD on better traction that activates stronger limited slip for the rear differential. Nice for times when you need a little more traction but do not want to go to full 4wd.

4wd TRAC off four wheel drive with open differentials on both ends

4wd default mode (TRAC on) four wheel drive with limited slip on both differentials.

I am not sure what happens in 4lo.
IF this is the case, than the major difference seems to be in H4 (4WD-HI) in that you say the standard mode is open differentials or no traction control (TRAC OFF). On the 2009-2011 Tacomas the standard mode when you go into H4 is TRAC ON (no engine output regulation, same as AUTO LSD).

To have open diffs. or no traction control in H4 (or H2), you must stop the vehicle and press and hold for a few seconds, the VSC OFF BUTTON (truck with wavy lines below). Lights come on to let you know. Now, if you push that button again or restart the truck, you go back to the standard TRAC ON mode.

IN L4, only the OFF ROAD TRD has traction control, but it is a whole level stronger than TRAC, and is called A-TRAC (A=Active)... and instead of just limiting the non-traction tire's spin, it stops it... matching the rotation to the opposite tire, the same as done with a locker.

The big difference between A-TRAC and a locker is:

1) A-TRAC works on all 4 tires, unless you have the rear tires locked, then it only works the front tires.

2) A-TRAC is automatic in that it only locks up a spinning tire when it looses traction and not constantly. This is why A-TRAC does not affect steering ability as lockers do. You can leave A-TRAC 'on' any time you use Low Range... and it just remains on standby for when you loose traction, and only works then.

3) Another difference is because A-TRAC is automatic, the tires will occasionally spin as it checks to see if control is needed, while allowing you to make tight turns easily. The locker-only fans see this as a weakness, as their lockers don't allow any free spinning on one tire.

In the end, the A-TRAC vehicle makes it to the same location as an equivalent vehicle (same type tires, ground clearance, driver skill) with front and rear lockers, as we have seen in numerous Moab and Baja and other photos, videos. A-TRAC and a rear locker are standard features on 2009+ 4WD OFF ROAD TRD TACOMAS.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #48
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Get lockers.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #49

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, you just need a couple thousand dollars over what the truck cost... maybe Christian will loan you the money? I don't mind a little noise and a little spin because I didn't need to add anything to my stock truck to climb or get through anything... even if I could afford to!

Thank you Toyota for an awesome product that delivers... "Oh, what a feeling!"
Old 09-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #50
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Yup, you just need a couple thousand dollars over what the truck cost... maybe Christian will loan you the money? I don't mind a little noise and a little spin because I didn't need to add anything to my stock truck to climb or get through anything... even if I could afford to!

Thank you Toyota for an awesome product that delivers... "Oh, what a feeling!"
Locked SR5 is cheaper than the offroad.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #51

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Locked SR5 is cheaper than the offroad.
You might be correct Christian, but voiding a warranty on a $25-30,000 new truck might be a concern? Or what if they still wanted the TRD Off Road features which include a rear locker?

Anyone who does any serious off roading should at least try their A-TRAC before automatically spending $2,000 on a front locker. There really is no 'need' to have both.... IMO.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #52
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
You might be correct Christian, but voiding a warranty on a $25-30,000 new truck might be a concern? Or what if they still wanted the TRD Off Road features which include a rear locker?

Anyone who does any serious off roading should at least try their A-TRAC before automatically spending $2,000 on a front locker. There really is no 'need' to have both.... IMO.
Lockers do not void your warranty. No aftermarket mod voids warranty unless it causes an OEM part to fail.

No need to try something that doesn't work for serious wheeling.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #53

David K's Tacoma Gallery
That is good to hear... about the warranty not voided when the drive line is modified...

'It' does indeed work. I have driven and owned four wheel drive vehicles since the 1970's... This is my third Off Road 4WD Tacoma, the first with A-TRAC... and boy does it work! Turns the truck into a tractor and provides the confidence of being practically or possibly stuck proof! Makes it easy to pull non-A-TRAC vehicles out of stucks, too!

I feel bad for you that you have not been in a condition to experience it, or have not put yours through its paces (I have seen your video and know you are not operating your truck to its full potential). The Toyota Tacoma is perhaps the best made mid size truck in America, and the Off Road 4WD TRD model is the most capable stock truck sold, IMO.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #54
Banned
Yes. My one video tells my whole life story. Don't hurt yourself with all that knowledge you have gained over 30 seconds of ATRAC fail.

Derp.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #55
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
OP I think the one thing you're missing is setting the VSC switch back to normal mode before (or after) going into 4H. If you were to start your truck and drive it on a highway to a mud / sand pit, you could go straight to 4H wich is your highest traction setting for 4H (AKA TRAC ON). If you hit the button while in 4H you will turn TRAC OFF wich puts you in OPEN DIFF (bad thing)

So in short, hit the button once in 2H and it improves traction with ALSD, switching to 4H you dont want the button, you will get TRAC ON automaticly front and rear just by being in 4H.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #56

Anybody need wheel speed? TRAC or A-TRAC isn't going to give you that, yes it helps in the traction department, but I'm not in rocks, hard pack, slick rock, just sand and mud. Both systems are not very good in these situations.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #57

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap View Post
OP I think the one thing you're missing is setting the VSC switch back to normal mode before (or after) going into 4H. If you were to start your truck and drive it on a highway to a mud / sand pit, you could go straight to 4H wich is your highest traction setting for 4H (AKA TRAC ON). If you hit the button while in 4H you will turn TRAC OFF wich puts you in OPEN DIFF (bad thing)

So in short, hit the button once in 2H and it improves traction with ALSD, switching to 4H you dont want the button, you will get TRAC ON automaticly front and rear just by being in 4H.
Good to here from a 2012 owner that they didn't change it!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #58

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
Anybody need wheel speed? TRAC or A-TRAC isn't going to give you that, yes it helps in the traction department, but I'm not in rocks, hard pack, slick rock, just sand and mud. Both systems are not very good in these situations.
Agree because A-TRAC is only works in low range and low range isn't good in sand. Mud is different but there are many kinds of mud.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #59

Bottomless Everglades swamp mud!!! Have seen 70" tired buggys just swallowed up, don't go in there...
Old 09-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #60

David K's Tacoma Gallery
SERIOUS!