Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Auto LSD

Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
Thelt is on a distinguished road
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
Auto LSD

Sorry, I know this has been covered before but I wanted to make sure I understood correctly. I have a 2012 4wd SR5. It does not have any of the TRD packages. To get maximum traction I should put it in 4wd and turn off the VDC? Turning off the VDC activates the auto LSD? I read some threads on here and got that impression.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
VSC is the name.

ALSD on in 4wd will give you a simulated LSD on all 4 tires. This would be maximum traction for uneven obstacles. Sometimes you need wheel speed so turning off ALSD will give you that. Really it all depends what you are trying to do.

Remember that there are no traction systems on in low range. You need to do the yellow wire mod for that.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
VSC is the name.

ALSD on in 4wd will give you a simulated LSD on all 4 tires. This would be maximum traction for uneven obstacles. Sometimes you need wheel speed so turning off ALSD will give you that. Really it all depends what you are trying to do.

Remember that there are no traction systems on in low range. You need to do the yellow wire mod for that.
So turning off VSC will activate Auto Limited Slip Differential (ALSD)?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
So turning off VSC will activate Auto Limited Slip Differential (ALSD)?
Yes. You will see the light come on. ALSD operation in 4wd high is new for 2012s.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes. You will see the light come on. ALSD operation in 4wd high is new for 2012s.
really? Toyota sure loves their gimmicky names. Same system, different name. I'll be honest though, calling it ALSD in 4H makes more sense then calling it TRAC.

So "TRAC" is only in 2wd now?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
really? Toyota sure loves their gimmicky names. Same system, different name.

So "TRAC" is only in 2wd now?
Yeah I'm not sure why they didn't call it all TRAC but I guess it is to make people feel special that their truck has a bunch of crap in it.

It also works in high like previous trucks but the throttle control stays on.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
I did a little testing on a steep gravel road. Leaving it in 2wd with VSC on did not seem to have as much traction as 2wd with VSC off and Auto LSD on. That might be handy this winter when that same road has snow on it.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
It would be nice to see a chart on the 2012, like there was for the 2009-2011...

VSC and TRAC go hand in hand. To turn off VSC is to also turn off traction control, except in 2WD, where AUTO LSD keeps VSC off, but only until 30 mph.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did a little testing on a steep gravel road. Leaving it in 2wd with VSC on did not seem to have as much traction as 2wd with VSC off and Auto LSD on. That might be handy this winter when that same road has snow on it.
Correct since AUTO LSD is the higher traction level in 2WD. VSC is not a traction control, but a stability control to keep you from spinning out on slippery roads.

TRAC is light limited slip in 2WD and AUTO LSD is strong limited slip in 2WD.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Correct since AUTO LSD is the higher traction level in 2WD. VSC is not a traction control, but a stability control to keep you from spinning out on slippery roads.

TRAC is light limited slip in 2WD and AUTO LSD is strong limited slip in 2WD.
Does AUTO LSD work in 4wd and if so does it work on the front and the rear or just the rear?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #11

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Does AUTO LSD work in 4wd and if so does it work on the front and the rear or just the rear?
Yes but it is called TRAC in 4WD HI. On all four wheels. 2012 may be different .
Old 09-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes but it is called TRAC in 4WD HI. On all four wheels. 2012 may be different .

When in 2wd after turning off the VSC it says Auto LSD on the dash. That gives me the stronger limited slip. Once in this condition and I switch to 4wd Hi Auto LSD goes away and "TRAC off" pops up. For maximum traction I want TRAC on so I should hit the button again to make "TRAC off" go away?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When in 2wd after turning off the VSC it says Auto LSD on the dash. That gives me the stronger limited slip. Once in this condition and I switch to 4wd Hi Auto LSD goes away and "TRAC off" pops up. For maximum traction I want TRAC on so I should hit the button again to make "TRAC off" go away?
The 2012 is different. David K won't know. You'll have to do your own testing, but you are on the right track. You want TRAC on or AutoLSD on in 4H for maximum traction.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #14

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
The 2012 is different. David K won't know. You'll have to do your own testing, but you are on the right track. You want TRAC on or AutoLSD on in 4H for maximum traction.

That is correct, until I see a flow chart like we had for the 2009-2011 Tacomas, I am not versed on the name changes or new features.

What it sounds like is that Toyota is LISTENING and renamed TRAC in H4 (limited slip with no engine regulation) to AUTO LSD (as it is/ was already in H2, no regulation)

That would be super... If in H4, we have AUTO LSD and NO VSC at least to 30 mph, so that beep-beep-beep is silenced as we slosh through sand, gravel, snow in H4.

On our models, to not have VSC in H4 is to also not have TRAC (AUTO LSD)... and limited slip, without engine output regulation is such a big improvement in low traction situations over open differentials (VSC OFF MODE)!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #15

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

To make sure we are on the same page...

*Pressing the VSC button once in H2 moving or stopped, turns on AUTO LSD (only in H2 for 2009-11 Tacomas). VSC goes off only until 30 mph, then comes back on.

*If you stop moving and then press and hold down the VSC button a few seconds, you are turning OFF the VSC (and TRAC and AUTO LSD) for no traction control... this is in H2 or H4.

Pressing the button again or turning off the engine will return you to normal TRAC-ON/ VSC-ON.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:29 AM   #16
Thelt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
To make sure we are on the same page...

*Pressing the VSC button once in H2 moving or stopped, turns on AUTO LSD (only in H2 for 2009-11 Tacomas). VSC goes off only until 30 mph, then comes back on.

*If you stop moving and then press and hold down the VSC button a few seconds, you are turning OFF the VSC (and TRAC and AUTO LSD) for no traction control... this is in H2 or H4.

Pressing the button again or turning off the engine will return you to normal TRAC-ON/ VSC-ON.
I have not tried pressing and holding the VSC button. I will try that and let you know if it still works that way on the 2012 models.

When I have done the first step you describe in H2 and VSC is off and Auto LSD is on and I then put it in 4wd hi "auto lsd" turns off and "trac off" pops up. My thought is that being in 4wd hi with "trac off" means open differentials. Pressing VSC again while in 4wd hi makes all the dash lights go off.

I am thinking I want TRAC on while in 4wd hi.....

Is TRAC and Auto LSD the same thing?

Did the person who designed this system have some LSD at some point?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #17

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Is TRAC and Auto LSD the same thing?
TRAC - traction control ("limited slip") with engine regulation (See David K's post)
Auto LSD - traction control ("limited slip") without engine regulation

Quote:
Did the person who designed this system have some LSD at some point?
Yes.
  • 2005-2006
  • 2007-2008
  • 2009-2011
  • 2012+

All four groups share the same equipment (sans a VSC button in 2005-2006; sans an ATRAC button in 2005-2008), but are programmed differently.

Which is why David has his 2009-2011 thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ar-locker.html

and I have my 2005-2008 thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...explained.html
Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 AM   #18
Banned
I would have been better if they ditched all the electronic crap for lockers and stuck with a real LSD for the Sport models instead of reprogramming and renaming everything every few years.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #19
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would have been better if they ditched all the electronic crap for lockers and stuck with a real LSD for the Sport models instead of reprogramming and renaming everything every few years.
You're going to be really pissed when they dumb it down further with a Dry/Wet/Sand/Gravel/Mud selector.

Toyota has embraced electronic integration of their drivetrain/stability systems, as has the rest of the industry. The days of manual Hi-Lo & 2-4 levers are pretty much over for new vehicles, and having full manual control of front & rear lockers in a mainstream production vehicle would be a disaster for the manufacturer. Too many people would just tear the hell out of something like that.

While I liked my 2012 OR enough to buy it, I was shocked to see what a poor job had been done with the drivetrain/stability control interface. It's so bad, I'm surprised Toyota didn't break up the transfer case control into separate buttons and scattered them across the cockpit with the rest of them. Someone definitely needs to rein in the control system and create a coherent interface; at least group all of the buttons together! Once that task is accomplished, the control structure needs to be overhauled and standardized over all of the Toyota and Lexus lines. I should be able to get in a 2013 4Runner and immediately feel at home with its 4WD and stability controls. The same goes for a Lexus RX450.

But for the love of Whip, don't dumb it down to a stupid mode dial.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #20
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
You're going to be really pissed when they dumb it down further with a Dry/Wet/Sand/Gravel/Mud selector.

Toyota has embraced electronic integration of their drivetrain/stability systems, as has the rest of the industry. The days of manual Hi-Lo & 2-4 levers are pretty much over for new vehicles, and having full manual control of front & rear lockers in a mainstream production vehicle would be a disaster for the manufacturer. Too many people would just tear the hell out of something like that.

While I liked my 2012 OR enough to buy it, I was shocked to see what a poor job had been done with the drivetrain/stability control interface. It's so bad, I'm surprised Toyota didn't break up the transfer case control into separate buttons and scattered them across the cockpit with the rest of them. Someone definitely needs to rein in the control system and create a coherent interface; at least group all of the buttons together! Once that task is accomplished, the control structure needs to be overhauled and standardized over all of the Toyota and Lexus lines. I should be able to get in a 2013 4Runner and immediately feel at home with its 4WD and stability controls. The same goes for a Lexus RX450.

But for the love of Whip, don't dumb it down to a stupid mode dial.