Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4x4 Snow Question

Old 12-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #301
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
You pay extra for 4WD... so USE it if the road isn't warm and dry!

The only issue to not using 4WD on good roads is steering.. IF your tires can't slip, then there will be binding... and you will feel it when you steer... specially when you park, even on dirt. I will take it out of 4WD to make a tight turn when I am not moving very fast, like parallel parking because the steering wheel (and tires) will be difficult to turn.

The difference between AWD (full time 4WD) and our Tacoma 4WD (part time 4WD) is a center differential in the AWDs that allows the front and rear drive shafts to rotate at different speeds (as what happens when turning). A 4WD has the front and rear locked together without any middle differential... so you need to be on soft or wet roads so the tires can slip as they roll at different rates when steering.

In a nutshell, you could physically drive 70-80-90 mph in 4WD (High)... as long as the road allows slipping in a turn, or you don't turn. The instructions are for 100 kph (62 mph) +/- limit to engage the shift-on-the-fly 2WD to 4WD-HI.

Seriously, I don't think you need to be going into 4WD at those speeds... but if so, just go in at a lower speed first. Your fuel mileage will go way down when using 4WD, so use it but don't waste it!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #302
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's probably a large part of it. However, none of my buddies are really too inclined to give me their truck to go driving around in a snowstorm so I can figure it out for myself !

And I'm just trying to understand it all before I roll off the lot with a 30k truck and a bunch of surprises come January and I'm out there for the first time with it. At least these questions and answers are giving me a boatload more knowledge than just going happy-go-lucky. I'm not interested in joining the ditch club ...
^This! The right mindset my friend.

Its always better to get the knowledge and absorb it beforehand, rather than being that guy coming to the forum complaining about how Toyota is releasing inferior products.

4X4: Use it or lose it! Just remember to activate it occasionally at lower speeds to ensure its properly lubricated and all of the parts aren't binding up!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #303
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i use 4WD all the time at highway speeds in the rain and snow for 45k miles with no issues. You'll be fine. The system wont let you engage 4wd above 60 MPH so if you want to use it in the rain, you have to slow down to engage then you can go faster then 60
Old 12-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #305
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
4x4 in rain is totally unnecessary but meh
I use it all the time
Old 12-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #306
Badger of Death
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If I felt the need for 4WD in the rain on pavement, I'd slow down and/or buy better tires. This Spring, that may end up being the reason the Rugged Trails get replaced.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #307
near the Tannhauser Gate
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I use it all the time
your a meathead than
Old 12-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #308
Badger of Death
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
your a meathead than

So ... is that a bad thing?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #310
Semi-pro
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #311
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
your a meathead than

I'm in 4wd right now. Vroom Vroom
Old 12-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #312
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sweet!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #313
near the Tannhauser Gate
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No you're not
Old 12-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #314
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No you're not

If it snows I'll take it out for a rip to test the KM2's. Local pit is 2 miles away. If it blows it blows.

I'm working on an engine now. Super low miles.....like not broken in yet miles
Old 12-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #315
near the Tannhauser Gate

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If it snows I'll take it out for a rip to test the KM2's. Local pit is 2 miles away. If it blows it blows.

I'm working on an engine now. Super low miles.....like not broken in yet miles
Go diesel

FAP FAP FAP
Old 12-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #316
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Go diesel

FAP FAP FAP
meh... I got a healthy 5.0 V8 in the Explorer with only 114k on it. Vrooooom Vroooooom
Old 12-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #317
Badger of Death

Quote:
meh... I got a healthy 5.0 V8 in the Explorer with only 114k on it. Vrooooom Vroooooom
Is that a 4WD or AWD? I know someone that sorely wishes he hadn't "upgraded" to an AWD Explorer. Spinning tires at the bottom of your driveway makes you sad.