Notices

4x4 Snow Question

Old 09-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #21
S1njin is on a distinguished road
S1njin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
where do you get this from?
sounds to me hes curious, doesnt have a truck yet, and just wants to see what hes getting himself into before actually getting one.
Thank you !
Old 09-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #22
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
The key is having wide tires...
Old 09-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #23
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't mean to be offensive with my comment. Just trying to point in a different direction. There is a lot of information to learn about 4wd systems. Especially for someone who has never driven a selectable 4wd vehicle.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #24
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1njin View Post
That's probably a large part of it. However, none of my buddies are really too inclined to give me their truck to go driving around in a snowstorm so I can figure it out for myself !

And I'm just trying to understand it all before I roll off the lot with a 30k truck and a bunch of surprises come January and I'm out there for the first time with it. At least these questions and answers are giving me a boatload more knowledge than just going happy-go-lucky. I'm not interested in joining the ditch club ...
Exactly. If you can find a big empty parking lot to play a little, you will get some feel for what you have. I'll tell you for sure that a Tacoma is not a Subaru. Almost nothing beats a Subaru on an icy road. A Tacoma is very capable though if driven with it's limitations in mind. As mentioned, good tires make a huge difference, and you might consider a set of studless winter tires as well. I have my tires machine center siped. Definitely add some rear weight. I have driven mine many thousands of miles on ice and snow, even with a trailer in tow. I have a lot of confidence in the truck, and I do not have any computer assisted traction utilities. Even the ABS is dissabled. The newer trucks may be better, but the older ones had some issues with ABS on ice. There are several threads you can search up.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #25
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Meh we need more salvage trucks for parts. OP should use skinny tires in winter
Old 09-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #26
Romo7493 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
Romo7493's Tacoma Gallery
I went from driving an 01 Subaru RS 2.5 to a 2010 Taco Sport. The first week I had it I was driving in the rain and totally forgot what I was driving. Rear end went sliding out pretty good in an intersection at night when it was raining pretty hard. Thankfully no one was next to me. I was able to resist oversteerting to correct and came out of it real quick but still got my heart pounding pretty good.

That weekend I took it to an empty lot when it was wet out and leaned into some turns in 2wd to find out at what point the rear end starts sliding out. I had a pretty good handle on the limits after about 10 minutes.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #27
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I can't speak for anyone else, but I will tell you how I use the 4WD in the winter. If there's snow on the ground, I am most likely engaged. As long as you're either turning wide enough to not bind or you are giving enough throttle to slip you'll be fine. In the winter I feel fairly confident going about 55 in just about any conditions. Just because I could have maybe made it there in 2WD doesn't mean I did. If the conditions are poor, I use it. That's what it's there for after all. Hell, I have gone 70+ in 4WD on the interstate for largely peace of mind in the winter. Doesn't hurt anything.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #28
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1njin View Post
That's probably a large part of it. However, none of my buddies are really too inclined to give me their truck to go driving around in a snowstorm so I can figure it out for myself !

And I'm just trying to understand it all before I roll off the lot with a 30k truck and a bunch of surprises come January and I'm out there for the first time with it. At least these questions and answers are giving me a boatload more knowledge than just going happy-go-lucky. I'm not interested in joining the ditch club ...
The most important piece of advise is to take it slow. Give yourself a winter to figure out what works for you.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #29
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
The most important piece of advise is to take it slow. Give yourself a winter to figure out what works for you.
THIS x10000 I have seen way to many people overstep their boundaries (either driver, vehicle, or both) and get into trouble. That's not to say that trouble can't find any one of us, but find what your boundaries as well as the trucks. These have a very light back end and tent to step out at a moments notice. Just one more of those things you have to learn.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #30
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post

I say take the truck to a parking lot and learn how to do evasive maneuvers in the snow so OP knows how the truck will react when he panics and the ABS kicks on.

$0.02

4x4 is for when your stuck. I never wheel with it on nor do I drive in the snow with it on unless it's 2' deep and I literally can't get the truck moving without it.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #31
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You just had to go there, didn't you?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #32
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
I grew up in Colorado, so had some experience driving in snow. When approaching a curve I instinctively back off the skinny pedal. In 2WD the rear wheels tend to slow the vehicle down. I did that once many years ago in a Scout II with the 4WD engaged on an icy road. With the front axle engaged the front and back ends both lost traction in the curve and the vehicle skidded. I corrected (probably over corrected) and it skidded the other way. I ended up in a creek alongside the road and had to be towed out. Since then I avoid engaging the front axle on slick roads except at slow speeds. I doubt the new Toyotas would respond any differently under the same circumstances. Like someone else said, it is best to take it easy until you figure out what works for you.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #33
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You just had to go there, didn't you?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #34
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Well if you are in a snow storm, you probably are not driving 50+. So lets throw that one out of the discussion. For really bad weather/traction then you are fine using the 4wd but as mentioned many times before, go easy on the turning radius. Our 4wd is not AWD and it will bind the system unless you turn while on a tractionless surface. If you are driving in a straight line (or relatively forward direction) and you are afraid of patches of ice/snow, you can run 4wd (as the manual recommend a 10mile monthly run of the 4wd system regardless of where they have sold the toyota). Myself, I live in sunny socal so its a long shot if we get rain every month and sometimes I just make sure my tire pressures are equal and I can find the straightest road around to engage 4wd at lower speeds for a minute, as recommended. But for the most part I only rely on 4wd on speeds 30 and below. Anything above that and I personally think that it just adds a false sense of security to the driver which is more dangerous IMHO.

-Evan
Old 09-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #35
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but I will tell you how I use the 4WD in the winter. If there's snow on the ground, I am most likely engaged. As long as you're either turning wide enough to not bind or you are giving enough throttle to slip you'll be fine. In the winter I feel fairly confident going about 55 in just about any conditions. Just because I could have maybe made it there in 2WD doesn't mean I did. If the conditions are poor, I use it. That's what it's there for after all. Hell, I have gone 70+ in 4WD on the interstate for largely peace of mind in the winter. Doesn't hurt anything.

This.

If there's snow on the ground (beyond a light brushing), I'm in 4wd. It's there to use. I've had no problems.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #36
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt (Retired)
Name: Ken
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
A couple winters ago I was going uphill on what turned out to be black ice at 50mph. As the truck started slowing from the climb up the hill (freeway) I gave it a little more gas and my rear end began to fish-tail. I backed off the throttle and put the truck into 4-hi - no more fish-tailing.

My Mom had a similar situation (and wrecked) with me in the truck years back where we ended up upside down in the snow. She had just switched out of 4wd into 2wd in a big ole F-250. Went up a hill of black ice, truck fishtailed and that was all she wrote.

In those cases I'd say yes to 4wd every time. Going around corners as mentioned before, well I go too slow in corners to debate it either way. I learned not to 'bake' corners from riding motorcycles.

Long story short my 4-hi gets used alot in winter, esp around town (when not parking).

Do what makes you feel safe. Just don't exceed the speed recommended by the manual in 4wd. I think 4-hi limit is 55mph? Forgot, sorry.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #37
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2k2 View Post

If there's snow on the ground (beyond a light brushing), I'm in 4wd. It's there to use. I've had no problems.
This
Old 09-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #38
PaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaintDrinkingPete is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PaintDrinkingPete's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, I'll engage to get around in the snow, but once I'm on the highway, if it's clear enough that I can get up to speed, then I just drop back down to 2WD. If you hit a rough patch, just slow down and re-engage 4WD.

Once you're moving at speed, 4WD isn't really helping that much anymore -- if you hit ice, the vehicle will slide regardless.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #39
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
As I see it, if I'm driving down the road in conditions foul enough (slushy ice, patches of snow, etc) to justify 4wd, I probably shouldn't be traveling at 50+ mph anyway. I'd slow down a bit and consider 4wd only if conditions hindered my progress. I'd also remind myself that 4wd doesn't really help me stop. The truck can still easy slide (stopping, turning, etc) on that mess.

Off-road, with few or no other vehicles around, might be somewhat different. I'd certainly opt for 4wd quicker. Might also drive a bit more aggressively occasionally, but still wouldn't be speeding around the trails all that much - I'd like to get off that trail eventually, preferably not into the ditch or worse.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #40
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
As I see it, if I'm driving down the road in conditions foul enough (slushy ice, patches of snow, etc) to justify 4wd, I probably shouldn't be traveling at 50+ mph anyway. I'd slow down a bit and consider 4wd only if conditions hindered my progress. I'd also remind myself that 4wd doesn't really help me stop. The truck can still easy slide (stopping, turning, etc) on that mess.

Off-road, with few or no other vehicles around, might be somewhat different. I'd certainly opt for 4wd quicker. Might also drive a bit more aggressively occasionally, but still wouldn't be speeding around the trails all that much - I'd like to get off that trail eventually, preferably not into the ditch or worse.
Keep her in 4wd but think that its still in 2wd. Although from personal experience in light snow/ice my 4wd was amazing, it is still a false sense of security if you think you will stop like on dry pavement (not saying YOU do, just throwing my finals pennies at this topic).