Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4x4 Snow Question

Old 09-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #41
S1njin is on a distinguished road
S1njin's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. Sounds like old lady driving in 4hi is the way to go for me. Which is what I was hoping to get out of this. I drive with a lot of respect for the road - I'm no daredevil.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #42
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1njin View Post
Thanks guys. Sounds like old lady driving in 4hi is the way to go for me. Which is what I was hoping to get out of this. I drive with a lot of respect for the road - I'm no daredevil.

lol...I just noticed your in NJ like me.

If we even get any snow this year it will most likely be patchy (some snow and some dry spots). Turning in 4X on dry roads is a big NO NO and most people I know who are not good in driving in snow do run 4X then forget it's on and take a nice tight turns on dry surfaces.

IMHO in our region you have no need to run 4X, but what do I know. The ONLY time I have needed 4X on a road in 15 years is when I was driving like a jackass and taking people off the line at red lights or passing them.

If you feel the need to drive with 4X on with a dusting of snow I seriously think you should reconsider driving in snow in public until you know your truck better and feel more confident with your snow driving skillz.

I didn't see anyone mention you should not be running your normal air pressure if your out driving in more then a dusting of snow. Proper air pressure in the white stuff is KEY.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #43
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
A 4 wheel drive in two is worse then a two wheel drive truck when it's slick use the 4 WD that's what you bought it for it will not hurt it.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #44
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
A 4 wheel drive in two is worse then a two wheel drive truck when it's slick use the 4 WD that's what you bought it for it will not hurt it.
Uh , a 4 wheel drive truck is a 2 wheel drive truck when it's not in 4WD

Old 09-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #45
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would love to hear how you came to that conclusion?
Old 09-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #46
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Exactly. If you can find a big empty parking lot to play a little, you will get some feel for what you have. I'll tell you for sure that a Tacoma is not a Subaru. Almost nothing beats a Subaru on an icy road. A Tacoma is very capable though if driven with it's limitations in mind. As mentioned, good tires make a huge difference, and you might consider a set of studless winter tires as well. I have my tires machine center siped. Definitely add some rear weight. I have driven mine many thousands of miles on ice and snow, even with a trailer in tow. I have a lot of confidence in the truck, and I do not have any computer assisted traction utilities. Even the ABS is dissabled. The newer trucks may be better, but the older ones had some issues with ABS on ice. There are several threads you can search up.
I have driven all over the north east in the winter what I see upside down are SUV's and Subaru's seldom a pickup too much BS about them being able to go any where and do any thing. The stock tires are worthless even in 4WD if you want to go and be safe get a set of snow tires with the little picture of a mountain on them not all seasons.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #47
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
They swap ends a lot quicker
Old 09-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #48
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah , I don't get it
Old 09-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #49
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Uh , a 4 wheel drive truck is a 2 wheel drive truck when it's not in 4WD

Quote:
x2 How is 4x4 ever worse than 2wd? Even with shitty tires 4x4 will go more places than 2wd
Old 09-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #50

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
x2 How is 4x4 ever worse that 2wd? Even with shitty tires 4x4 will go more places than 2wd
No , he said a 4WD truck in 2WD is worse than a 2WD truck , but actually they are the same
Old 09-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #51
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
No , he said a 4WD truck in 2WD is worse than a 2WD truck , but actually they are the same
Ah, I misread. Still makes no sense
Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #52
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have driven all over the north east in the winter what I see upside down are SUV's and Subaru's seldom a pickup too much BS about them being able to go any where and do any thing. The stock tires are worthless even in 4WD if you want to go and be safe get a set of snow tires with the little picture of a mountain on them not all seasons.

yea.... I see your from Maine and a LEO, but I still think your full of poop.

My stock tires were VERY capable in deep snow and I NEVER had an issue not getting where I needed to go.

stock tires with over 2' of fluffy stuff going up hill offroad just fine....AIR DOWN

highsided in snow drift (stock tires)

stock bridgestones aired down (slight slip turning on up hill off camber off road turn)

real ice

Old 09-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #53
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
x2 How is 4x4 ever worse that 2wd? Even with shitty tires 4x4 will go more places than 2wd
Again 4WD in 2 WD will swap ends quicker then a 2WD when it's slick. A 2WD will not go where a 4WD will even if the cords are showing.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #54
Say no to Bro

Quote:
Again 4WD in 2 WD will swap ends quicker then a 2WD when it's slick. A 2WD will not go where a 4WD will even if the cords are showing.
What none of us understand is what is the difference between a 4x4 in 2wd and a regular 2wd? A little more weight obviously, but I don't see that making too much of a difference
Old 09-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #55
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They are the same but different. A 2WD truck in 4WD is worse than a 4WD in 3WD. If the 4WD is only running in 2WD then they are the same because all the wheels are spinning except the one's on the passenger side. This can be fixed by turning the atrac knob right to 12, left 3 times to 36, then right to 26.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #56
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
They are the same but different. A 2WD truck in 4WD is worse than a 4WD in 3WD. If the 4WD is only running in 2WD then they are the same because all the wheels are spinning except the one's on the passenger side. This can be fixed by turning the atrac knob right to 12, left 3 times to 36, then right to 26.

shit what about 1-1/2 wheel......thats some crazy shit.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #57
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
You wanna referee some NFL games? You sound perfect.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #59
cheese'd out of my mind
Tuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tuckerhump's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenBeers View Post
You wanna referee some NFL games? You sound perfect.
well played
Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #60
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
stock taco tires... im in the pathfinder, this is from my brothers truck.. and this is thick stuff deep on an old logging road.

view out infront of the taco.