Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4x4 Snow Question

Old 09-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
S1njin is on a distinguished road
S1njin's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 Snow Question

Hey Gang,

Quick question for you guys. If its snowing and I'm driving along a interstate at around 50 mph, can I put the truck into 4H and let it do its thing? I know I can leave it there if the road is covered, but what about those times where there is a slushy icy mess, or patches of pavement and patches of snow? Will I hose up the 4WD system by running it like this?

Just trying to see exactly how useful the truck would be to me under these circumstances.

Thanks much !
Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Super Jesus
tacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoman00's Tacoma Gallery
Ehh, i would say maybe yes, but its kinda pushing it... Just stay away from sharp turns..
Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Be smart about turning and you should be fine. Remember that using 4wd isn't an excuse to go faster.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
If you're moving that fast 4wd probably wouldn't do much for you anyway as its mainly helping you get traction from a stop. Although I think the manual says you can engage it at speeds up to 50 or thereabouts.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Tail Striker
flyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cam
flyboy.co2's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...acoma-4x4.html
Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
My opinion: If you can go over 45mph, you probably don't need 4WD engaged. But, it probably wouldn't hurt anything, and if you went into a slide it might help you power out of it. But if it is slick like that, you are probably going slower anyway and would have it in 4WD.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
IMO i try never to use 4x4 past 35 - like already mentioned if the road is bad enough to where you need 4x4, then you shouldn't be going that fast anyways.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
S1njin's Tacoma Gallery
When the roads are slippery I drive like a old lady - don't worry about me going fast. I've always driven AWD Subarus and am considering my first pickup. I'm just trying to gauge how to drive it in garbage conditions. Don't need my back end swinging around to the front end .... I hoping the onboard saftey systems (VSC, Traction Control) coupled w/ 4HI can keep me planted on the road - driving like a old lady of course.

I also don't want to burn out the 4WD b/c its moving over wet pavement, compacted snow, ice. Rinse and repeat.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
4wd gives you forward traction but it will not keep you from sliding when you are already moving. From what I hear, VSC sucks on snow.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
S1njin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
4wd gives you forward traction but it will not keep you from sliding when you are already moving. From what I hear, VSC sucks on snow.
I know about the 4WD gets you moving thing. I though perhaps the 4WD would also help pull me in the event my front has more traction than my back.

I'm just leary of driving this in the snow and ending up in a ditch or upside down. The driving dynamic is pretty different than anything I've ever driven before. I keep reading about how these things are unstoppable in the snow, but when I get down to why I find it really has not much to do w/ the safety systems or 4WD. Which just confuses me even more.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
rbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: ARFF @ ROC
Name: Rich
rbishopp's Tacoma Gallery
I use my 4x4 that way. The owners manual says you can flip the switch up to 60 or 62 or something crazy like that if I remember correctly but that seems insane. I have not had probs at about 40 mph or so but no reason to do it any faster than that. I often leave it in 4x4 on the freeways throughout changing conditions if it's more crap than clear. Turning on dry pavement is not a good idea but around here the ramps and intersections are either clear or covered. Not much in between for the DOT around here. I've turned on wet pavement a few times and had no problems since there was enough for the tires to slip and not f up the front dif. Not a good idea but when I forget it happens.
I've had 4x4 trucks for the past 20 some years (no Fords) and the Toyota seems to be the most forgiving and easiest I've had so far.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #12
MikeyMT is on a distinguished road

MikeyMT's Tacoma Gallery
Guys around here mob in 4HI pretty regularly at 50+ mph on 2 lane highways...but when we get snow the roads dont exactly get plowed...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1njin View Post
I know about the 4WD gets you moving thing. I though perhaps the 4WD would also help pull me in the event my front has more traction than my back.

I'm just leary of driving this in the snow and ending up in a ditch or upside down. The driving dynamic is pretty different than anything I've ever driven before. I keep reading about how these things are unstoppable in the snow, but when I get down to why I find it really has not much to do w/ the safety systems or 4WD. Which just confuses me even more.
AWD will work that way but the simple part time 4wd will not. Power is just 50/50 to each axle.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Good tires will help a lot. Or at least some weight in the bed. With the garbage stock sport tires and no weight in the bed my ass end would often slide out on turns. With new tires and still empty bed it doesn't do it anymore. I actually don't even need my 4wd as much as I used to before getting Duratracs.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #16
badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
badger's Tacoma Gallery
I shift in and out of 4wd as needed driving on ice. For short spots of pavement, no worries. For longer stretches I shift out. Being in 4wd on a slippery surface has advantages at any speed. When compression braking, the braking force is shared by all 4 wheels, not just two. When power is applied it also goes through all four. The biggest advantage is on corners where a very slight blip of the throttle could break the back loose. Being in 4wd lessens the possibility of breaking traction in those circumstances. Of course, it only offers an additional margin of safety if you drive as if you didn't have it.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #18
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
The key is having wide tires...
Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #19
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
Sounds to me like you need to learn more about driving style and proper driving control techniques, than relying on the truck to do the work for you.
where do you get this from?
sounds to me hes curious, doesnt have a truck yet, and just wants to see what hes getting himself into before actually getting one.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #20
S1njin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
Sounds to me like you need to learn more about driving style and proper driving control techniques, than relying on the truck to do the work for you.
That's probably a large part of it. However, none of my buddies are really too inclined to give me their truck to go driving around in a snowstorm so I can figure it out for myself !

And I'm just trying to understand it all before I roll off the lot with a 30k truck and a bunch of surprises come January and I'm out there for the first time with it. At least these questions and answers are giving me a boatload more knowledge than just going happy-go-lucky. I'm not interested in joining the ditch club ...