1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 Snow Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by S1njin, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Sep 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    S1njin

S1njin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NJ
    Vehicle:
    Don't have one yet
    Hey Gang,

Quick question for you guys. If its snowing and I'm driving along a interstate at around 50 mph, can I put the truck into 4H and let it do its thing? I know I can leave it there if the road is covered, but what about those times where there is a slushy icy mess, or patches of pavement and patches of snow? Will I hose up the 4WD system by running it like this?

Just trying to see exactly how useful the truck would be to me under these circumstances.

Thanks much !

2. Sep 26, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    tacoman00

tacoman00 Your Average Joe

Member:
    Rockville, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Toytec BOSS 2.0 lift, 18x9 Fuel Rebels, 32” BFG AT K02.
    Ehh, i would say maybe yes, but its kinda pushing it... Just stay away from sharp turns..

3. Sep 26, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    If you're moving that fast 4wd probably wouldn't do much for you anyway as its mainly helping you get traction from a stop. Although I think the manual says you can engage it at speeds up to 50 or thereabouts.

4. Sep 26, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    Darth_Yota

Darth_Yota I intend to live forever, or die trying.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam-moron
    Somewhere USA
    Vehicle:
    Dented, broken-down ‘08 hoopty
    Ain’t good’nuff for insta
  5. Sep 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    My opinion: If you can go over 45mph, you probably don't need 4WD engaged. But, it probably wouldn't hurt anything, and if you went into a slide it might help you power out of it. But if it is slick like that, you are probably going slower anyway and would have it in 4WD.

6. Sep 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    J88logue

J88logue NorthWest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    HWY 30
    Vehicle:
    02 D.C. TRD
    Clicko BUILDo
    IMO i try never to use 4x4 past 35 - like already mentioned if the road is bad enough to where you need 4x4, then you shouldn't be going that fast anyways.

7. Sep 26, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    S1njin

Member:
    Central NJ
    Vehicle:
    Don't have one yet
    When the roads are slippery I drive like a old lady - don't worry about me going fast. I've always driven AWD Subarus and am considering my first pickup. I'm just trying to gauge how to drive it in garbage conditions. Don't need my back end swinging around to the front end .... I hoping the onboard saftey systems (VSC, Traction Control) coupled w/ 4HI can keep me planted on the road - driving like a old lady of course.

I also don't want to burn out the 4WD b/c its moving over wet pavement, compacted snow, ice. Rinse and repeat.

8. Sep 26, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    S1njin

Member:
    Central NJ
    Vehicle:
    Don't have one yet
    I know about the 4WD gets you moving thing. I though perhaps the 4WD would also help pull me in the event my front has more traction than my back.

I'm just leary of driving this in the snow and ending up in a ditch or upside down. The driving dynamic is pretty different than anything I've ever driven before. I keep reading about how these things are unstoppable in the snow, but when I get down to why I find it really has not much to do w/ the safety systems or 4WD. Which just confuses me even more.

9. Sep 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    I use my 4x4 that way. The owners manual says you can flip the switch up to 60 or 62 or something crazy like that if I remember correctly but that seems insane. I have not had probs at about 40 mph or so but no reason to do it any faster than that. I often leave it in 4x4 on the freeways throughout changing conditions if it's more crap than clear. Turning on dry pavement is not a good idea but around here the ramps and intersections are either clear or covered. Not much in between for the DOT around here. I've turned on wet pavement a few times and had no problems since there was enough for the tires to slip and not f up the front dif. Not a good idea but when I forget it happens.
    I've had 4x4 trucks for the past 20 some years (no Fords) and the Toyota seems to be the most forgiving and easiest I've had so far.

10. Sep 26, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    MikeyMT

MikeyMT Active Member

Member:
    Guys around here mob in 4HI pretty regularly at 50+ mph on 2 lane highways...but when we get snow the roads dont exactly get plowed...

11. Sep 26, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Good tires will help a lot. Or at least some weight in the bed. With the garbage stock sport tires and no weight in the bed my ass end would often slide out on turns. With new tires and still empty bed it doesn't do it anymore. I actually don't even need my 4wd as much as I used to before getting Duratracs.

12. Sep 26, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Sounds to me like you need to learn more about driving style and proper driving control techniques, than relying on the truck to do the work for you.

13. Sep 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I shift in and out of 4wd as needed driving on ice. For short spots of pavement, no worries. For longer stretches I shift out. Being in 4wd on a slippery surface has advantages at any speed. When compression braking, the braking force is shared by all 4 wheels, not just two. When power is applied it also goes through all four. The biggest advantage is on corners where a very slight blip of the throttle could break the back loose. Being in 4wd lessens the possibility of breaking traction in those circumstances. Of course, it only offers an additional margin of safety if you drive as if you didn't have it.

14. Sep 26, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You'll be fine. I engage 4WD on the highway when ever there's a heavy rainfall.

As long as you're not making any turns on dry or non-slick surfaces, you should be fine.

15. Sep 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    where do you get this from?
    sounds to me hes curious, doesnt have a truck yet, and just wants to see what hes getting himself into before actually getting one.

16. Sep 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    S1njin

Member:
    Central NJ
    Vehicle:
    Don't have one yet
    That's probably a large part of it. However, none of my buddies are really too inclined to give me their truck to go driving around in a snowstorm so I can figure it out for myself !

And I'm just trying to understand it all before I roll off the lot with a 30k truck and a bunch of surprises come January and I'm out there for the first time with it. At least these questions and answers are giving me a boatload more knowledge than just going happy-go-lucky. I'm not interested in joining the ditch club ...

17. Sep 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    S1njin

Member:
    Central NJ
    Vehicle:
    Don't have one yet
    Thank you !

18. Sep 26, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    :facepalm: :D

19. Sep 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I didn't mean to be offensive with my comment. Just trying to point in a different direction. There is a lot of information to learn about 4wd systems. Especially for someone who has never driven a selectable 4wd vehicle.

20. Sep 26, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Exactly. If you can find a big empty parking lot to play a little, you will get some feel for what you have. I'll tell you for sure that a Tacoma is not a Subaru. Almost nothing beats a Subaru on an icy road. A Tacoma is very capable though if driven with it's limitations in mind. As mentioned, good tires make a huge difference, and you might consider a set of studless winter tires as well. I have my tires machine center siped. Definitely add some rear weight. I have driven mine many thousands of miles on ice and snow, even with a trailer in tow. I have a lot of confidence in the truck, and I do not have any computer assisted traction utilities. Even the ABS is dissabled. The newer trucks may be better, but the older ones had some issues with ABS on ice. There are several threads you can search up.

Products Discussed in

To Top