Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma went through deep puddle...now engine makes ringing sound ?? Help !

Old 09-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
TRD 603 is on a distinguished road

Name: Michael
TRD 603's Tacoma Gallery
Question Tacoma went through deep puddle...now engine makes ringing sound ?? Help !

Hello all,

2005 Tacoma TRD off-road V6 6 Speed.

Went through a large puddle the other month after leaving a local bar when the beach flooded. As i drove through the puddle water was just able to splash up into the grill and a little on the hood (the water was not up to the hood, but did "splash" up to it, just to clarify the image). I would say water was roughly 30 inches deep. Nothing wrong that night. The next morning I go to start up truck and now there is a ringing sound, or whiring, coming from what sounds like an accessory item.

It was suggested to me that maybe an accessory bearing got drenched and was now not lubricated...

Anyone else have this issue? If so which accessory item is it? if not any ideas as to what it might be. Quite positive its external though. Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
My first guess is alternator. Especially the "whirring" part.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Check the idlers. I hear the bearings are the first to go on when they get soaked.
This is it I would bet.

Take off the tension on the belt and spin them by hand. If they don't spin freely replace them.

There is a pic in my photo album showing the part numbers and torque for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
My first guess is alternator. Especially the "whirring" part.
Why would an alternator whir? I have never heard of a second gen's alternator bearings going bad.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #5

TRD 603's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Thanks for the suggestions, ill start digging tonight
Old 09-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
leaving a bar and 30" puddle . Must have been a hell of a splash .
Old 09-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Blkvulcan is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
Blkvulcan's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, I bet it's the idler pulleys. That whirring, ringing sound is metal on metal now that the grease is gone.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Why would an alternator whir? I have never heard of a second gen's alternator bearings going bad.
Because its about the only thing that WILL whir, when its effed.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Because its about the only thing that WILL whir, when its effed.
Gotta disagree with this 100%

Have you spent much time in the mud?
Old 09-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
i think thats what is wrong on my 4runner too. only seems to happen on certain rpms. usually in the lower rpms when it gets up high its hard to hear over the exhaust
Old 10-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #13

TRD 603's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't actually splash into the puddle, the parking lot flooded ! To give you guys an idea of the depth there was a honda civic next to me, the water up to the shifter...almost sh*t my pants i laughed so hard. Then I climbed into my dry truck. I will say I did drive probably more aggressively through the water than was necessary...but we all act stupid at times idler bearings it is. Time to replace !
Old 10-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #14

TRD 603's Tacoma Gallery
Update!

Turned out to the be the serpentine tensioner pulley ! all better.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD 603 View Post
Turned out to the be the serpentine tensioner pulley ! all better.

Nice! You replace just the pulley or the whole assembly?

Wish we had known...could of recommended some real good sealed pulleys so it won't happen again.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #16

TRD 603's Tacoma Gallery
Replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Nice! You replace just the pulley or the whole assembly?

Wish we had known...could of recommended some real good sealed pulleys so it won't happen again.
Replace the whole assembly, you know of sealed pulleys ??
please send pm about these
Old 11-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #17
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD 603 View Post
Replace the whole assembly, you know of sealed pulleys ??
please send pm about these
You can get them from Rock Auto. Brand is Gates. Also next time there is no need to replace the whole tensioner. The pulley itself can be replaced on the tension arm saving you about $100 in parts and a TON in labor should someone else do the repairs.

Pics of mine