1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing Center Support Bearing?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BImike, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Sep 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM
    BImike

BImike [OP] Member

Member:
    So I've read up a little on vibration that seems to come from the drive train. Spoke to a friend who says the Center Support Bearing needs to be replaced. Sorry for the newbie question but is the replacement as simple as dropping the rear drive shaft from the rear end, sliding it out of the center support bearing/housing and replacing the CSB? How to's I've seen on this site were more about changing out U joints and subsequently the CSB and seemed more involved with a press and such. Thanks in advance!

2. Sep 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    No, it's not that simple and requires the disassembly of the u-joint just behind the carrier bearing. If you're going to take apart the u-joints, you might as well replace the wear items while you're there.

Try flipping the carrier bearing 180 degrees around the drive shaft. I just did that last weekend and it got rid of a lot of my vibrations. It's cheap and only requires you to pull 2 bolts, flip the bearing, and replace the bolts.

Is the carrier bearing making noise or is it just vibrations? If it's just vibes, try my fix, if it's squeeling, then you likely need to have it replaced.

3. Sep 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    BImike

BImike [OP] Member

Member:
    Like everyone else, vibes have been there for a while, upon intial acceleration. However, has gotten worse in the last week or so with a harder vibe and continues into about40-55 mph range.....really bad when going uphill. In addition, there has been a clanking, squealing sound when I pullout and proceed down the road. I thought maybe it was brakes or water pump going bad. But now that you mention the squealing, I think it may be the CSB too.

So, I'm thinking replace the CSB and the bad joints. However, I call the local dealer who says not in stock and wants $253 upfront for them to bring the CSB in. I ask for the part number and they say no. Does anyone know the part number or any place I can contact to get the correct one? The dealer asked for my VIN b/c there were different CSB's for my truck, I guess.

Thanks again!!

4. Sep 27, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You're in Hawaii so parts might be more expensive anyways. I'd post something in the Hawaii section, there are a lot of members on the various islands who might be able to recommend good dealerships or smaller local shops.

I use Camelback Toyota in AZ, they beat my local dealership pricing and ship to my door.
    http://parts.camelbacktoyota.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214329

They probably needed the VIN because not all Tacoma's have that bearing.

Here's a link to a CB that I got off TTORA:
    http://www.driveshaftparts.com/center-supports/toyota-pickup-1993-2006/prod_493.html

from this thread:

5. Oct 16, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    BImike

BImike [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks so much for the tip! I flipped mine as well, ton of difference. Are you still running yours like that? Any issues? As I did it, I thought about the drain hole that is now on the top of the shaft. Just wanted to see if you had problems.

I did order the part from toyota, no way around, I guess. Just need to find time to get it to the shop. I work a 8-4 m-f so finding a decent mechanic on a sat can be difficult. Thanks for your help!

6. Oct 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I've been running mine like that for about a month now but I've read about others who have run theirs for a lot longer. Regarding the drain hole on top, I'm going to drill a drain hole in the bottom and fill the voids with silicone. My issue is that the bearing is still fine, it's the rubber around it that's gone soft. The addition of silicone should stiffen it all up a bit and hopefully buy me some more time. If the bearing is shot, there's no getting around it, you need to replace it. If it's just vibrations and the bearing itself is still fine, then there are little fixes like I mentioned to try and solve the issue without tearing down.

7. Oct 16, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    memphis guy

memphis guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Michelin LTX M/S II 265/75-16 Tires (+1 sidewall height)
    My vibes went away when I replaced my u-joints and re-centered the carrier bearing support bracket.

(The rearmost u-joint had gotten dry and one of the bearing cups had failed, causing a bad rotational squeak when backing up; the curing of the driveline vibes was an unexpected side benefit to replacing the u-joints.)

Used to get a significant vibration on application of 50% or more throttle. No more.

BTW, replacing the u-joints is a fairly easy job, even for a novice mech. Borrow the u-joint/ball joint press from Auto Zone on their loan-a-tool program. Much better than pounding the old joints out, and having to beat the new ones in.

8. Oct 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    BImike

BImike [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks, man. I believe my bearing is still good as well. Is there a certain type of silicone you plan to use?

9. Oct 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM
    BImike

BImike [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the advice. The press was my concern. I don't believe we have an auto zone here in HI. I will look around for places that may rent tools. Thanks.

10. Oct 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    I might be replacing my CSB soon as well, but was informed of an alternate option. Find a pillow block with a 1.5" ID and bolt it up. It's greasable and waaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper.[​IMG]

11. Oct 18, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I believe that bearing assembly is off of an F-250 if I'm not mistaken.

12. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    That bearing is just a run-of-the-mill pillow block from McMaster-Carr.

13. Nov 3, 2012 at 7:42 AM
    99TaC

99TaC New Member

Member:
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    99SR5
    Hey TC,
    How long have you been running with the generic pillow block? The rubber in mine has softened and has way too much play in it. Just wondering if you've had any issues, and curious about noise being transmitted to the frame since there's no rubber to isolate it .thanks in advance

14. Nov 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    BImike

BImike [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to give you all an update. So, I purchased the new CSB, as it was the source of the problem according to a friend that works on tacos (would have him fix it but on another island). I took it to one mechanic to have it replaced. He ran the truck and said he believes it could be a transmission issue. Told me he didn't want to change out the part and keep "chasing a problem". He recommended seeing a Trans shop and he didn't charge me for the time he had the truck. Frustrating that he wouldn't swap out the part, but appreciate the honesty and not charging me for his time.

After contemplating, I could swear it had to be the driveline issue and not the trans...not to mention I didn't want to get sucked into a 2-3k trans job that really didn't need to happen. So, yesterday I took it to a different mechanic, told him about the vibes and changing the CSB. He swapped out the CSB and the two u-joints on the rear drive shaft b/c the vibes were still there, just not as noticeable, after replacing the CSB first.

Truck runs better than when I first bought it. I probably could have waited to change the CSB according to the 2nd mech but at least the bad vibes are gone and the connective parts are new. Such a relief! Mahalo to everyone for your help and guidance.

15. Nov 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    . . . Sub'd . . . :popcorn:

16. Nov 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Nice!

I didn't see your last question either, sorry. I used RTV silicone. It made the vibes a little better but they're still there. I'll get around to replacing my carrier bearing when the weather gets nice again next year.

17. Nov 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    These drive shafts are just standard Spicer stuff, so I'm thinking there must be some better CB alternative available through a driveline shop. Mine is still fine, but that is where I'll be looking when it goes. It would be nice to find a sturdy rubber cased alternative. I'll bet there is one.

18. Nov 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    There are definitely alternatives when the time times. I certainly won't put another Toyota part in there. I've heard the F-250 is a pretty built up pillow block bearing and fits the Tacoma. Read CorrosiveTendancy's post above and he tells you what size to get.

19. Dec 18, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    Keithlamb

Keithlamb Member

Member:
  20. Feb 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    I think I need to replace my carrier bearing.

Something has been chirping under my truck (while in Drive) and the chirps stop once I move it into neutral. The chirping has become louder and louder. I'm going to spray some lube on the carrier bearing this afternoon to find out if for sure the carrier bearing is what's causing the chirping.

Since i'm pretty sure that i'll need to replace the carrier bearing, i'm looking into my options already. Will the quality between installing a $40 carrier bearing from Rock Auto or an OEM one from Toyota for $200, be much of a difference? If the quality/longevity is relatively the same, then why pay more, right?

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Products Discussed in

To Top