1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP!! Lug bolts (studs) breaking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TonkaToyTaco, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Sep 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    TonkaToyTaco

TonkaToyTaco [OP] Hope you can run faster than 965 FPS

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers cranked up with JBA UCA, Rear OME 2" leaf pack with Ride Rite air bags, SCS Steath 6 matte black rims wrapped in 285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX, Blacked out emblems, Debaged tailgate, Tinted windows (5% in rear, 5% up front and 40% on windsheild), Retro color matched HID headlights with Amber Halo, Projector LED Foglight, Custom LED Taillight and 3rd brake light, T-Rex 2 eyelids color matched, Fog light anytime MOD, All LED interior and exterior ligths, Volant CAI With forced Ram, JET throttle body spacer, Aero Turbine SS Muffler, Aero Turbine SS 4inch tip dumped after axel, URD MAF Calibrator, LED bed lights, 4X4 light mod, Satoshi Grill with matching scoop and lower Valance, 20" LED bar and 2 LED Pods behind Satoshi, Diff breather mod, Sea Blu secondary fuse box with 100A breaker, Outlaw Train Horns with dual Air Compressors and 5 Gal tank, Ultraguage, Andre Devil Horns, Pedal Commander
    I have a 2011 taco with SCS stealth 6 aftermarket rims and gorilla aftermarket lug nuts. I have been doing work on my truck and everytime I put my wheels back on and torque them down I end up stripping the stud off. Im torquing them to factory torque and everything. Now I just put it on again and the wont even tighten down. Anyone else having this problem or had a problem with toyota studs? Please help I cant even drive my truck now

2. Sep 27, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    TonkaToyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers cranked up with JBA UCA, Rear OME 2" leaf pack with Ride Rite air bags, SCS Steath 6 matte black rims wrapped in 285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX, Blacked out emblems, Debaged tailgate, Tinted windows (5% in rear, 5% up front and 40% on windsheild), Retro color matched HID headlights with Amber Halo, Projector LED Foglight, Custom LED Taillight and 3rd brake light, T-Rex 2 eyelids color matched, Fog light anytime MOD, All LED interior and exterior ligths, Volant CAI With forced Ram, JET throttle body spacer, Aero Turbine SS Muffler, Aero Turbine SS 4inch tip dumped after axel, URD MAF Calibrator, LED bed lights, 4X4 light mod, Satoshi Grill with matching scoop and lower Valance, 20" LED bar and 2 LED Pods behind Satoshi, Diff breather mod, Sea Blu secondary fuse box with 100A breaker, Outlaw Train Horns with dual Air Compressors and 5 Gal tank, Ultraguage, Andre Devil Horns, Pedal Commander
  3. Sep 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    ABregenzer

ABregenzer Fish

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    The Dirty Lew, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 4X4
    Stickers. Lots of stickers.
    Is your torque wrench accurate? That could be the problem.

4. Sep 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    So the lug nut bolts are stripping? Prolly going to need new hub assembly. If they are fine I would try longer lug nuts

5. Sep 27, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    Tripps2012

Tripps2012 2014 TRD OR

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR
    Are you sure they sold you the correct 12x1.5 thread pitch lugs?

6. Sep 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    Warputer

Warputer Dirt Road Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Murray, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    9" of Super Bro lift
    It has to be an issue with the lug nuts.

7. Sep 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Have your torque wrench checked out. They can go out of adjustment. I have had it happened and snapped a head bolt. It happens.

8. Sep 27, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    TonkaToyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    I ordered the lug nuts from gorilla. Im assuming they sent me the right ones IDK how to check. And yes my torque wrench is in spec as well i checked. I just ordered new luug studs and im going to replace them and see if that does anything

9. Sep 27, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    TonkaToyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    How can I check the lug thread pitch?

10. Sep 27, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    Got to be the gorilla nuts that are causing the problem.

11. Sep 27, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    TonkaToyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    but i have never heard anything bad about them and they are a good brand. I have heard issues with the toyota studs though that they are kinda cheap and will break easy. They say the front are to short once u put an aftermarket rim on

12. Sep 27, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    If that is the case get longer lug nuts to use more of the stud. sounds like the end of the stud is catching all the load and snapping and not cheapness. simple mechanics really I wouldnt want to drive a vehicle with rims using only a small portion of the wheel stud ever.

13. Sep 27, 2012 at 4:31 PM
    lowcountrytj

lowcountrytj Third Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Probably at Work
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD SPORT "BLACKOUT"
    Take one of the nuts with ya to parts store or Lowes( 12x1.5 As mentioned above ) find a bolt same size and see if it fits. Or do you know anyone who has a good tap and die set? Most will have a pitch gauge. Or just pick up a metric set? Pitch gauge that is.
    Yeah, Im double tappin having that wrench ch:cool:ecked. Good luck

14. Sep 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    You should ask vin from scs

15. Sep 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    That is the problem. Not enough thread engagement.

Post up a picture of a stripped lug stub. Is just the end of the stud stripped?

16. Sep 28, 2012 at 5:20 AM
    Tripps2012

Tripps2012 2014 TRD OR

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR
    Most lugs have the thread pitch stamped on them but not all. If you think the issue is thread engagement you need to order ET style lugs these will give another 1/4" or so of threads. Plus they will help center the wheel better onto the hub by making the assembly lug centric.

Call the shop that mounted your tires and ask them if they buy from ATD if they do tell them to order you 20 of 380000310 these are the proper 12x1.5 ET lugs if you want locks as well have them order 16 of the lugs above and 1 of 380023705 that's ET style locks in 12x1.5.

17. Sep 28, 2012 at 5:27 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    To summarize possible problems;

1) Inaccurate torque wrench,
    2) Insufficient stud length for rims,
    3) Incorrect lug threads.

#3 is an easy one to check, even if there is no label on them. In fact, you should check them this way even if they are labelled. You should be able to thread the lugs onto the studs by hand very smoothly all the way (wheel off), and there should be no "play". As you're putting them on by hand, wiggle them around side to side. If they wiggle around a lot, they are too loose. If they are nice and firm, they are correct. You should NOT have to force them on, otherwise they are too small or non-matching thread pitch.

18. Sep 28, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    Incorrect taper on nuts?

19. Sep 28, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i bet the studs are too short and you are asking too much from the threads when not enough of them are engaged..

pics would really help and would have probably shortened this thread.

20. Sep 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    I dunno of this helps, not sure what style gorrilla lugs are but this is what vin recomends for the scs6

Products Discussed in

To Top