Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My steering wheel came off

Old 09-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
BamaTaco49 is on a distinguished road
BamaTaco49's Tacoma Gallery
My steering wheel came off

The other day, I hit my steering wheel during a road rage (don't judge me). My steering wheel and blinker/wiper assembly fell from its normal position and I was able to pick the wheel up and move it in and out with no resistance. When I pulled on the wheel, the entire assembly came off in my hands and I was looking down at the steering column. Thank goodness I was only going about 5 mph. I was able to put the wheel back on and drive the truck home but the wheel is just kind of sitting there on the trim piece at the bottom of the opening it would normally sit in. Anybody have an idea of what's broken? Thanks!
Old 09-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Stamford Fire Department, Group 3 truck 3
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
I actually have no words for this....as for what's broken? I'm going to go with; every important peice of your steerining wheel assembly.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
yarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarik83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Yuri
yarik83's Tacoma Gallery
Are you first owner of truck? Have you taken car in for a recall? This sounds like someone took steering wheel off and forgot to bolt it back on. If my memory serves me right there should be a big ass bolt in middle of steering wheel behind airbag fastening steering wheel to the column.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
It was definitely a surprise when it happened. The assembly's still together, just hanging in there. I was thinking whatever's responsible for tilt/extension broke and allowed the assembly to just slide out instead of stopping at the extension limit. Hoping to fix it myself if able. That being said, I don't know anything about how a tilt wheel works.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
I'm not, but bought it at 15k miles. 07 TRD pre-runner. I didn't see a bolt or anything, just a coil-looking thing at the base of the assembly that I had to guide back onto the bare steering column. The wheel and the box behind it all came off together.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTaco49 View Post
It was definitely a surprise when it happened. The assembly's still together, just hanging in there. I was thinking whatever's responsible for tilt/extension broke and allowed the assembly to just slide out instead of stopping at the extension limit. Hoping to fix it myself if able. That being said, I don't know anything about how a tilt wheel works.
Sounds about right. Take a look at the service manual sections:
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/file...a/04400210.pdf
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/file...6ta/044000.pdf
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/file...6ta/044001.pdf
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/file...6ta/044002.pdf

That sleeve assembly responsible for tilt/extension (identified as "UPPER STEERING COLUMN TUBE" in the service manual) can be quite expensive if you have to purchase it ($460 online, more at dealer), because it has to be bought as an assembly (item 1 in the parts catalog):

Old 09-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
The best I could tell, I was staring down at the top of the STEERING MAIN SHAFT ASSEMBLY when it all came off. The extension hasn't worked well for a while. Thanks for those pdf's. Is that a part that'd be safe to get from a junk yard? I still can't see how I'd hit that thing hard enough to break it....
Old 09-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
If the donor truck wasn't totaled from a frontal collision, the part should be salvageable.