Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tires or Lift? Where would you put your $?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
mccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mccarroll's Tacoma Gallery
Tires or Lift? Where would you put your $?

So, I have a little bit of cash I can put into the truck right now and I am getting tired of looking at the stock height and tires (245/75/16) on my SR5 4x4. Here are my options:

1. Put the money into a set of Billies 5100 at 1.75" and do the tires later.

2. Put the money into a set of 265/75/16 Duratracs. I have 245/75/16 now and do the leveling after.

I want to do both, just can do both right now. Any thoughts?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed06indigoink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

06indigoink's Tacoma Gallery
tires, and save for a better lift. you'll wish you had later..
Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Why not just keep saving?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Save for both. I got 3" OME lift with 885s & Dakars and it looked funny until I got some 255/85/16 BFG KM2s on it.
Lift

Lift & tires
Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarroll View Post
So, I have a little bit of cash I can put into the truck right now and I am getting tired of looking at the stock height and tires (245/75/16) on my SR5 4x4. Here are my options:

1. Put the money into a set of Billies 5100 at 1.75" and do the tires later.

2. Put the money into a set of 265/75/16 Duratracs. I have 245/75/16 now and do the leveling after.

I want to do both, just can do both right now. Any thoughts?
You live in Canada and heading into winter... I'd ditch the stock Dunlops and go with new rubber and save for the lift next.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
mccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes but I have studded winter tires from a previous vehicle that used 245/65/16. I could sell them and put the $$ towards the duratracs though.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Why not just keep saving?
I will . But i wanted to do something in the meantime. As stock I find the truck doesn't even look like a 4x4.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
ANoodle is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
ANoodle's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on what you have to spend, rims and tires will cost you more. Of course that depends on what lift you want.
I am in the same position you are, I just got a 3" lift from Fat Bobs for under $200.00. Not a offroad lift but something to give my truck a different look.
I am going to stack parts until I have enough money for rims/tires.
Run the stock for now or until winter hits.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Armor: IE skids, bumpers, etc.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
Armor: IE skids, bumpers, etc.
Not everyone crawls rocks...
Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Not everyone crawls rocks...
Skidplates and other armor can be useful in all types of off road environment.
Not just rock crawling.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
save up and do it all at once imo
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarroll View Post
I will . But i wanted to do something in the meantime. As stock I find the truck doesn't even look like a 4x4.
Pffff. Who cares? I didn't do do anything until like 40K miles. I got Duratracs then but I'm still not lifted because I just don't care.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I did billys > wheels & tires > UCA's. A little under 3K and I did the work my self.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #16
T1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT1no33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
T1no33's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=4Wheelin4Banger;5768457]Save for both. I got 3" OME lift with 885s & Dakars and it looked funny until I got some 255/85/16 BFG KM2s on it.
Lift

Thanks for posting this pic as I am tight on funds and wanted to work on my Taco. I was thinking about getting the lift and just riding the stock tires/wheels until I could upgrade. Now I think I'm going to go with a stereo until I can do it all at once.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #17
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I did tires and wheels first. Your stockers would look goofy with the lift and you don't need a lift to fit those tires.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't a lift have to go on before bigger tires, nah, just let 'em rub till u gets a lift.
Some things have to be done, for the others to work. Bilsteins, Eibachs, tires, nice ride, budget friendly, truck that stands out from the crowd.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #19
brianv3ntura is on a distinguished road
brianv3ntura's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
I did tires and wheels first. Your stockers would look goofy with the lift and you don't need a lift to fit those tires.
+1 this.

Don't like the look of stockies with a lift.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #20
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
Doesn't a lift have to go on before bigger tires, nah, just let 'em rub till u gets a lift.
Some things have to be done, for the others to work. Bilsteins, Eibachs, tires, nice ride, budget friendly, truck that stands out from the crowd.
He specifically said he is going with 265/75/16 tires which will fit without a lift.