Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Satoshi do it yourself'ers: A few questions

Old 10-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
basilhayden is on a distinguished road
basilhayden's Tacoma Gallery
Satoshi do it yourself'ers: A few questions

I have a '10 white tacoma and am seriously considering taking on this project. My grill is chrome and I would like to paint it white. For those that have painted theirs, what brand did you use and was it matched pretty closely? Where can I get the mesh? Lastly, I am considering putting the FJcruiser toyota emblem in the grill. How is that attatched to the mesh? I'm sure I'm forgetting something, so if you have any tips, please give them. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Super Jesus
tacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoman00's Tacoma Gallery
If you search satoshi, it should give you plenty of results to answer all your questions and more.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Paint- i used duplicolor, i have heard white is the hardest to match, i wasnt happy with my clear coat
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...snt-shiny.html
Emblem- heres how i did mine
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post5514923
Mesh- i got a grillcraft thats pricey tho, customcargrilles.com sells different styles in sheets

Oh ya and try search if you havnt yet, im sure you will find better info than i provided

Oh ya again... Go for it! Its not very hard and it changes the whole look of your front end you will be happy you did it
Old 10-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
hakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
hakabo's Tacoma Gallery
Lol I just used chicken wire from lowes. Unless u are sniffing the grill it isn't noticeable. If I can figure how to post a picfrom my phone ill show
Attached Thumbnails
Satoshi do it yourself'ers:  A few questions-image.jpg  
Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
BOOMSHAKALAKA
boardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud of

Name: Bomb.com
boardude's Tacoma Gallery
Here's the write up I followed. It's easier than it looks. Just make sure to take your time!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-write-up.html

I bought a color match grille and sold my chrome on here for almost the same price. You may want to look not that so you don't have to worry about painting.

I got the mesh from http://customcargrilles.com/ . He's sells a piece that is perfectly cut for this mod. Here's some pics of mine

[/url]
Old 10-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardude View Post
Here's the write up I followed. It's easier than it looks. Just make sure to take your time!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-write-up.html

I bought a color match grille and sold my chrome on here for almost the same price. You may want to look not that so you don't have to worry about painting.

I got the mesh from http://customcargrilles.com/ . He's sells a piece that is perfectly cut for this mod. Here's some pics of mine

[/url]

How sturdy is the mesh from custom car grilles?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
basilhayden is on a distinguished road
basilhayden's Tacoma Gallery
where can i find a colormatch grille? I haven't been able to find one. I have found a grille from partsgeek that homertaco uses but it has to be painted.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by basilhayden View Post
where can i find a colormatch grille? I haven't been able to find one. I have found a grille from partsgeek that homertaco uses but it has to be painted.
Camelback toyota, they are a vendor on here, or create a WTB thread and you might get a better deal
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
BOOMSHAKALAKA
boardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
Its holding up great so far.. The tape that came with the fasteners didnt hold so well so I ended up using Gorilla glue and now that things going nowhere!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
BOOMSHAKALAKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilhayden View Post
Heres the part number for a superwhite grille: 53100-04370-A0 Just google it..

I got mine from: http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/t...-04370-A0.html
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
Custom car grilles mesh is great. That's what I used. To attach the FJ Toyota badge I cut off the mounts with a Dremel and epoxied several 1/2" bolts to the back. I could have just used 3M tape but I wanted something stronger.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
TOYWERX Grill Sergeant
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
Most of what customcargrills.com supplies is .032 thick which is about the same thickness as the "gutter guard" material you'd find in a hardware store. It will do the job but if impacted by a rock will dent easily.

I've used their mesh sucessfully on a couple builds but I prefer my own. I use a mesh that is twice the thickness - .063

To the OP - Unless you are doing a bunch at once it pays to purchase a colormatched grill from a dealership rather then getting an aftermarket one painted. Just be sure to keep the outer surround well protected while doing the mod!

Best of luck with your build!